ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Source for rugged cat5 patch cables?  (Read 5852 times)

Lynn Oliver

Source for rugged cat5 patch cables?
« on: May 19, 2011, 05:45:37 PM »

I'm looking for a cable to connect a MIDI controller on-stage to a processor off-stage using RJ45 connectors.  I've found a few sources online:

Best-Tronics sells a few different patch cables, a cat5e using Belden cable and a cat6 using Eurocable.  Plus this one that is not well described.

General Cable sells Gepco tactical cable and has RJ45 connectors that work with it.

I know this isn't the typical application you see here, but I thought since this type of cable is used in digital snakes that someone might have a suggestion as to other sources, or experience with any of these cables.  I'd be interested to know which is most flexible and how well it holds up.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: Source for rugged cat5 patch cables?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 07:22:30 PM »

I'm looking for a cable to connect a MIDI controller on-stage to a processor off-stage using RJ45 connectors.  I've found a few sources online:

Best-Tronics sells a few different patch cables, a cat5e using Belden cable and a cat6 using Eurocable.  Plus this one that is not well described.

General Cable sells Gepco tactical cable and has RJ45 connectors that work with it.

I know this isn't the typical application you see here, but I thought since this type of cable is used in digital snakes that someone might have a suggestion as to other sources, or experience with any of these cables.  I'd be interested to know which is most flexible and how well it holds up.

Some of the best cable manufactured is Belden. I suggest you go to their web site, research the types available, and then make a choice.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Matt Errend

• SR Forums
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 07:40:26 PM »

Tecnec/ Markertek sells pre-assembled Belden datatuff patch cables terminated with ethercon.

http://www.tecnec.com/Product.asp?cat=CABLES&subcat=DATACAB&prodclass=CAT5CAB&baseitem=CAT5XTRM%2D10&search=0&off=0&showreturn=0

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 07:55:49 PM »

We use the heavy Gepco cable at work, usually with Neutrik Ethercon connectors.  We have about 2,000' of the stuff in total, but about 700' is still on a spool.  It gets used and abused regularly.

We put standard RJ45 ends on, then use an Ethercon that goes over it.  We also have some ends with just standard rubber boots over the RJ45.  Even the booted RJ45 holds up fairly well, much better than I would expect.

I don't have any experience with the other cables you mentioned, but the Gepco stuff is fairly flexible and very durable.  I doubt there's a more rugged cable available anywhere.  Due to the thick jacket the RJ45 connectors are a little more difficult to put on than on a normal cable, but it's not too bad.

If the Ethercon connectors are an option I'd recommend using them, they'll hold up better than just an RJ45.

Cat5 is fairly durable stuff though.  You might be better off just ordering 10 cables from Monoprice and just replacing them when they break.  They'll probably last longer than you think.
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 11:55:15 PM »

Rapco/Horizon has a road-worthy CAT cable.

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 05:27:58 AM »

Rapco Duracat. You can get solid or stranded core. It has a heavy extruded PVC jacket and is priced reasonably for finished cables. I've been using it for iLive snakes.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 05:27:58 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 18 queries.