ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Ring announcer mic  (Read 12880 times)

Mark Sexton

• Sacramento, CA
Ring announcer mic
« on: May 11, 2011, 07:29:00 PM »

I'm looking for some ideas for a functional prop microphone that looks like the old style ring announcer mics, something that could drop down out of the ceiling and have that vintage look.  Any ideas?
Mark Sexton

System Designer/Operations Manager
Alive Media

Chris Carpenter

• Baton Rouge
Re: Ring announcer mic
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 07:36:44 PM »

I'm looking for some ideas for a functional prop microphone that looks like the old style ring announcer mics, something that could drop down out of the ceiling and have that vintage look.  Any ideas?
The Shure 55SH comes to mind.

http://www.shure.com/americas/products/microphones/classic/55SH-Series-II-iconic-unidyne-vocal-microphone

It is supposed to be stand mounted, but I'm sure you can adapt it. I have only used one once, sounds like any other shure dynamic.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 07:38:47 PM by Chris Carpenter »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 08:19:15 PM »

The Shure 55SH comes to mind.

http://www.shure.com/americas/products/microphones/classic/55SH-Series-II-iconic-unidyne-vocal-microphone

It is supposed to be stand mounted, but I'm sure you can adapt it. I have only used one once, sounds like any other shure dynamic.

It sounds like a badly implemented SM-48, and they suck out louder than anything else in the SM line.  They might suck more than a PG58...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 08:21:12 PM »

Heil Heritage.  Will sound good, not like a cheap mic that get the 'rappers cupping' treatment (which is what the Shure 55s sounds like to me.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 10:29:51 PM »

Hello,

Did you look at the Blue Microphone line of mics?  They've got a few, lesser priced old/odd style mics. 

As far as dropping it in from the ceiling...that's a venue dependent, rigging job.

Hammer
Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

Woody Nuss

• Santa Monica, CA
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 11:57:53 PM »

Maybe a Shure Green Bullet?
http://www.shure.com/americas/products/microphones/classic/520dx_green_bullet_harmonica_microphone

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 09:20:33 AM »

Mark Sexton

• Sacramento, CA
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 12:34:59 AM »

Heil Heritage.  Will sound good, not like a cheap mic that get the 'rappers cupping' treatment (which is what the Shure 55s sounds like to me.

Yeah, I'd definitely go with the Heritage over the 55SH, but that's not really the style I'm looking for. It might be what I end up doing, but I'm thinking something a bit more square like some of the older ribbons or something with a quirky shock-mount system. Any thoughts along that line?
Mark Sexton

System Designer/Operations Manager
Alive Media

Matt Errend

• SR Forums
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 03:01:04 AM »

+1, we've got two specifically for boxing events.

Another mic I have seen other people use is the Sennheiser e906 just because they have it on hand and it "kind of looks right". IMO the Heil is a better all around choice.

James Feenstra

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 08:46:36 PM »

Yeah, I'd definitely go with the Heritage over the 55SH, but that's not really the style I'm looking for. It might be what I end up doing, but I'm thinking something a bit more square like some of the older ribbons or something with a quirky shock-mount system. Any thoughts along that line?
something like a U67 then?
http://www.audioanalysis.co.nz/images/Microphones/Neumann%20U67.jpg

although you never specified a budget...something like a shure ksm32 would have the same look at a much cheaper price point
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 08:46:36 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.