ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best 14" Laptop for AVL + IT  (Read 10092 times)

John L Nobile

Re: Best 14" Laptop for AVL + IT
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2023, 04:48:02 PM »

Dell Precision 5540 (at dellrefurbished.com) with i7-9xxx, 64GB, with gigabit ethernet port ~$920.

Funny cause I just recommended that computer to someone this morning. But it is an older laptop and it's their premium line.

I've been buying used laptops for years from the Dell Refurbed site and I'm starting to see less of them with LAN ports so you need a dock. And that Docks are getting more expensive.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2023, 05:42:35 PM »

Funny cause I just recommended that computer to someone this morning. But it is an older laptop and it's their premium line.

I've been buying used laptops for years from the Dell Refurbed site and I'm starting to see less of them with LAN ports so you need a dock. And that Docks are getting more expensive.

I used to buy refurbished Lenovo laptops but no longer find the depth of "deal" that Dell offers.

I don't understand the consumer (and Steve Jobs) desire to eliminate wires at all costs.  Our use cases are more dependent on "this has to work everywhere, every time" but the continued path to everything being wireless is, IMNSHO, misguided.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2023, 11:20:27 PM »

Hey Brian,
Can you post a link to your ONE dongle solution please.  I'm still in analysis paralysis regarding upgrading to a somewhat newer MB Pro for my Smaart / MAPP 3D rig, or combining everything on a Dell.  I really like the displays on Macs, but hauling around two laptops is a bit of a PITA.

It's a NOVOO USB C Hub 8 in 1 NVHUBCXGY8PLX
Brian Jojade

John L Nobile

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2023, 11:09:13 AM »

I used to buy refurbished Lenovo laptops but no longer find the depth of "deal" that Dell offers.

I don't understand the consumer (and Steve Jobs) desire to eliminate wires at all costs.  Our use cases are more dependent on "this has to work everywhere, every time" but the continued path to everything being wireless is, IMNSHO, misguided.

It's the cost of making thinner laptops. Some aren't thick enough for a LAN or USB-A port. Wifi and USB-C are the only connection options. If they can figure out how to charge a laptop wirelessly, the C ports will disappear. And they've probably figured that one out.

I love the Dell Refurbed site. I purchase computers as part of my day gig Management gets new Dell computers, everyone else gets the refurbs which I try to buy on sale. I stay with "A" grade and have had zero problems with any of them. Don't need the latest i7 CPU to run docs, spreadsheets and email.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2023, 01:21:06 PM »

Not sure what you are all talking about?

You can still buy new Dell laptops that have RJ45-NIC's on them.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/latitude-3540-laptop/spd/latitude-15-3540-laptop/
https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/latitude-5430-laptop/spd/latitude-5430-laptop/

I use a QGeeM hub when I need more ports.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2023, 01:23:17 PM by Nathan Riddle »
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

John L Nobile

« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2023, 02:19:08 PM »

Not sure what you are all talking about?

You can still buy new Dell laptops that have RJ45-NIC's on them.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/latitude-3540-laptop/spd/latitude-15-3540-laptop/
https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/latitude-5430-laptop/spd/latitude-5430-laptop/

I use a QGeeM hub when I need more ports.

They still make them but I'm finding more users here that want MS Surface or Dell XPS laptops. I'm seeing Dell Precision laptops without a LAN port and that's close to top of the line and bigger than the 2 I mentioned.
I'm finding that Surface has become the status laptop to get when your IT dept won't buy you a Mac. Which is another laptop with no LAN port.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2023, 10:16:01 AM »

They still make them but I'm finding more users here that want MS Surface or Dell XPS laptops. I'm seeing Dell Precision laptops without a LAN port and that's close to top of the line and bigger than the 2 I mentioned.
I'm finding that Surface has become the status laptop to get when your IT dept won't buy you a Mac. Which is another laptop with no LAN port.

Then values are not in line with needs.

NIC = highest priority
No dongles = next highest priority

The laptop model preference is not weighted the same.

I want a pony. But need a draft horse.

I realize I'm being a bit cranky. But jeez, get your priorities straight.

Do you want a laptop that does the job, or do you want a fancy/nice laptop with features that aren't as important?
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2023, 10:16:01 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 20 queries.