ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Midprice Home AV receiver <$500?  (Read 4807 times)

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
Midprice Home AV receiver <$500?
« on: May 08, 2011, 06:13:25 PM »

Currently have a Yamaha RX-V661, which served us well as an upgrade from an older Yamaha non HDMI receiver. Ours has 2 HDMI inputs, albeit 1.2 only, 1 output.

Would like to upgrade to 3-4 HDMI Inputs with latest HDMI spec. 3 would be minimum.

Inputs needed to accomodate:
PS3 - HDMI
AppleTV - HDMI
DirectTV receiver - HDMI
Nintendo Wii - component with analog audio

Only analog audio/component needed is for the Wii - no other analog gear to hookup needed.
Not even totally needing an AM/FM radio - if we're going to listen to music, it's iTunes playlists through the AppleTV. don't care about XM, Sirius, or other digital radio either.
Zone 2 not important - one room is fine.
90W/ch is fine for our listening needs, but wouldn't want to go lower.

Max cabinet depth is 18" so receiver and cables in back (L,C,R, Surround) and subwoofer RCA out in back as well as the cables.

Don't care about remote functionality as we're using a Logitech Harmony Remote. I'm not wed to Yamaha; TV and PS3 are both Sony.

Any suggestions appreciated.

If you also have a Center Channel speaker that you like let me know; we previously had a Bose VCS-10 center speaker (only one that would fit under the TV when it was sitting on the AV cabinet; now that it's suspended, I can put a better one in there). Again, given I'm looking for a <$500 receiver, no need to share

thanks!

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
Re: Midprice Home AV receiver <$500?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 07:32:24 PM »

Currently have a Yamaha RX-V661, which served us well as an upgrade from an older Yamaha non HDMI receiver. Ours has 2 HDMI inputs, albeit 1.2 only, 1 output.
Would like to upgrade to 3-4 HDMI Inputs with latest HDMI spec. 3 would be minimum.

Yamaha RX-V667?

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/rx-v667/?mode=model

Six HDMI inputs and the scene buttons are pretty handy for the technologically reclined in the household.  Dedicated iPod dock (optional) input and seperate zone 2 output for another area are nice extras.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 07:34:11 PM by Lee Douglas »
This space for rent

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 09:14:16 PM »

Doubt they have any that low, but check Marantz, NAD,  Onkyo, and Rotel.

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 01:02:35 AM »

Thanks for the tips - the Yamaha looks good, as does the Denon AVR-1912, Onkyo TX-NR609 and the Marantz NR1601. Rotel doesn't have anything in price range, and has lagging HDMI specs (1.3a vs. 1.4a). NAD's "mid-priced" line is lacking in features - their pricier stuff is great. The Yam, Denon, Onkyo and Marantz are all shallow enough to fit into the cabinet.

Matt Errend

• SR Forums
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 02:16:48 AM »

Yamaha RX-V667?

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/rx-v667/?mode=model

Six HDMI inputs and the scene buttons are pretty handy for the technologically reclined in the household.  Dedicated iPod dock (optional) input and seperate zone 2 output for another area are nice extras.

I picked up a RX-V667 a few months ago and think it's the budget receiver to beat right now. Full complement of I/O, plus video upscaling from analog sources so you only have to run a single HDMI cable to your TV. There is a pretty good feature set for tweaking your outputs including a 6-band parametric EQ and delay on each output channel except LFE which only has delay. The on screen menu is pretty easy to use and doesn't require you to switch away from your current programming to use, it just overlays the menu on top of your current source. It comes with a microphone if you're into letting it tune your system for you, I chose to do it manually.

My only complaints:
No parametric EQ on the LFE. I use a pair of home built sealed subs that require EQ for extension, and I would have loved to ditched my current Ashly outboard.
When you change volume, the volume setting is displayed on screen. Not a big deal, but I would have liked the option to turn it off.
No paper manual was included.

Jim Eadie

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 03:07:50 PM »

Thanks for the tips - the Yamaha looks good, as does the Denon AVR-1912, Onkyo TX-NR609 and the Marantz NR1601. Rotel doesn't have anything in price range, and has lagging HDMI specs (1.3a vs. 1.4a). NAD's "mid-priced" line is lacking in features - their pricier stuff is great. The Yam, Denon, Onkyo and Marantz are all shallow enough to fit into the cabinet.

The Onkyo recievers tend to be the only ones rated for four ohm speakers.  Depending on what speakers you have or intend to use that might be a factor to consider. 

Dave Barnett

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 01:56:35 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 25 queries.