ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Studio Live 16:4:2 problems  (Read 10141 times)

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
Studio Live 16:4:2 problems
« on: January 15, 2011, 03:42:26 PM »

Last night, I was mixing a show on a Studio Live 16:4:2.  This was a one off show with a bunch of random musicians that I had a whole 2 days notice on.  Needless to say, the night was a bit of chaos to start with.  This is the first event I've used this board in this type of environment.

I had set the board so that I was using subgroups for vocals, keyboards, drums, etc.  The subs patched into the mains, and I used the mono output connector, as I typically would.

During the first set, about a half a dozen times, the entire output of the board cut out for about 10 seconds at a time.

What appeared to happen is that if ANY of the subgroups went into clipping, it would take out the whole board.  Not just the mains, but the auxes as well were cutting out.  The meters on the board didn't show anything wrong, but no output.

I realized that I hadn't engaged the limit button for the inputs or the subgroups.  After I did that, things got better.  Why those aren't engaged by default, I don't understand.  Why would you ever want them off if all it does is cut out the board when you do hit limit??

Anyway, after I engaged the limiters, it seemed as though that the problem was solved.  however, it did cut out a couple more times later in the evening.  One time the cut out was right as I got a text message on my phone, which was right by the console.  Not sure if that is related at all or not.  When it happened that time, I wasn't running anything that hot, so it shouldn't have been a clipping situation.

As far as power goes, I thought that might have been a problem, as the venue wasn't sure which outlets were on which circuits.  With the bass hits, I did see the light on the board dim slightly, but looking at the voltage meter, the voltage swing was only about 2 volts, never dipping below 120.  Not the harshest electrical environment I've been in, by far.

I'm really disappointed in how this board behaved.  Yeah, it was nice to have the features of a digital board at my fingertips, but I've NEVER had one of my analog boards do anything like this.  Has anyone else had these sorts of problems?  I'm really concerned about using this board in the future if this is the kind of problems to expect to happen.

Brian Jojade

Rory Maguire

• London, UK
Re: Studio Live 16:4:2 problems
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 04:58:20 AM »

Did you have the board synced to a computer via firewire?

If you did then that is HIGHLY likely to be your problem. When the board connects to a computer it's internal clock is bypassed and it uses the computer as it's clock source, when you unplug, or sometimes just bump the firewire connection it loses audio as it re-syncs with it's internal clock. If you had a dodgy firewire connection at either end, then this could be happening once or twice at a time. Giving you 10 seconds or so of audio drop outs!

If not, perhaps it's time to be sent back to Presonus. See if you can repeat the results at the shop. Then try re-flashing the firmware and see if the problems still occur. Presonus work well if you can tell them exactly what you need to do to make a problem happen!

Another great resource is the Presonus forums. Perhaps try a post over there and see if they can help you out!

Airton Pereira

• The Knutz
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 10:53:54 AM »

I read on the Presonus Forum that drop-outs could be caused by a problem at the mixer's power unit.
Some Studiolives had major issues about power.
Drummer and Sound Engineer for The Knutz.

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 12:08:41 PM »

I read on the Presonus Forum that drop-outs could be caused by a problem at the mixer's power unit.
Some Studiolives had major issues about power.

Airton:

Go to your profile and put your full name in the Names field.

Thank you.

Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Airton Pereira

• The Knutz
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 12:27:33 PM »

Airton:

Go to your profile and put your full name in the Names field.

Thank you.

Done!
Drummer and Sound Engineer for The Knutz.

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 12:35:22 PM »

Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 12:35:22 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.