ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Furman Merit Series Rack Power + iPhone Power plug = Crap  (Read 4260 times)

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
Furman Merit Series Rack Power + iPhone Power plug = Crap
« on: January 14, 2011, 08:33:53 PM »

So... I'm testing out my new DEQ830 with my 01v setup (thank you Lee) and wanted to see how my Really Frickin Poor Man's IEM works with the Rolls unit. just sending ipod in, adjusting levels, etc.

Battery is running low, so I go upstairs and get an extra USB dock cable and the small 2-prong power-USB adapter. I plug it in on the Furman exterior courtesy outlet, and get a horrible ground loop buzz.

Hmm, I say to myself. unplug the USB cable from the iPhone, no buzz.

I plug the AC into the back of the Furman; ground lift buzz is reduced, but still bad.

I then plug both the rack power strip and the iPhone power into a separate power strip, and it's buzzing even worse.

So...
The power strip I have sucks and is in the trash.
My Furman Merit Series (older, not the new X-series) "Power conditioner" seems to do neither and it's "Courtesy outlet" is anything but.

I see multiple options, including:
SM Pro Audio DI Dock that Ben Harris has reviewed favorably
http://www.smproaudio.com/index.php/en/products/diboxes
[/size][/size]Plugging the output of my iPhone into a stereo DI and then into the 01v; I own a Radial Pro DI2 and could go to RatShack for the RCA-1/4" adapters. This I'm guessing would solve the problem and let me use the power setup as above, but angers me since everything's on the same circuit.[/size][/size][/size]Getting rid of the Furman unit and buying something that you folks recommend instead. Only things that would be powered by this would be:[/size][/size][/size]1. Original Yamaha 01v[/size][/size]2. Alesis DEQ830[/size][/size]3. iPhone/iPod power (because battery life can suck with GPS and bluetooth on); don't want the break music dead.[/size][/size]4. 9V wall wart for Zoom H2 digital recorder.[/size][/size][/size]Is this a symptom that MOV's inside have gone bad on that outlet? Recommendations welcome. Part of me wants to get a rackmount triplite, but the extra weight worries me since the combo mixer/rack is already fairly weighty for one man to carry.[/size][/size][/size][/size]thanks.

ProSoundWeb Community

Furman Merit Series Rack Power + iPhone Power plug = Crap
« on: January 14, 2011, 08:33:53 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 20 queries.