ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Distributed audio for retail  (Read 6518 times)

luis Markson

• Just keep going....
Distributed audio for retail
« on: May 06, 2011, 02:10:59 AM »

I posted some threads a few weeks ago as I was researching the technology and now I've come to the point where I need to start designing the system.

As this is for my own retail space I am in no rush to complete the job. I also want to have as high a quality result as possible as I may end up using the intall as a demo for future clients.... It all depends on how well I do the job...

So.... I am trying to think like a client to start with, to figure out what it is that I want to achieve. It's a relatively small retail space, in an industry where you need to be able to have long and often delecate discussions with customers - so music needs to be no louder than requiered to break silence and create atmosphere. We are currently just using a small hifi in the corner. I would, however, like the ability to increase levels for special promotions etc..

The install is more for my own experience, rather than a desperate need for the store, however, I want to take the opurtunity to utilise it in the most effective way I can.

Having high quality, full range reproduction, I imagine, is a good way to enhance the overall perceptions of the quality of the business, especially in a semi-boutique industry.

Are there predefined system and outcome types? Are there well known and utilised pyscological concepts that can help to define goals for retail insatallations?

Christopher Young

Re: Distributed audio for retail
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 08:46:05 AM »

I posted some threads a few weeks ago as I was researching the technology and now I've come to the point where I need to start designing the system.

As this is for my own retail space I am in no rush to complete the job. I also want to have as high a quality result as possible as I may end up using the intall as a demo for future clients.... It all depends on how well I do the job...

So.... I am trying to think like a client to start with, to figure out what it is that I want to achieve. It's a relatively small retail space, in an industry where you need to be able to have long and often delecate discussions with customers - so music needs to be no louder than requiered to break silence and create atmosphere. We are currently just using a small hifi in the corner. I would, however, like the ability to increase levels for special promotions etc..

The install is more for my own experience, rather than a desperate need for the store, however, I want to take the opurtunity to utilise it in the most effective way I can.

Having high quality, full range reproduction, I imagine, is a good way to enhance the overall perceptions of the quality of the business, especially in a semi-boutique industry.

Are there predefined system and outcome types? Are there well known and utilised pyscological concepts that can help to define goals for retail insatallations?

Take a look at the Series/parallel thread.

Tom Young

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 08:50:30 AM »

Please elaborate on what you mean by "predefined system and outcome types".

As far as psychological (psychoacoustic) concepts, in general you want program music to be attractive to the intended clientele. To some degree this drives the volume levels.

Another critical factor is being a good neighbor to the adjacent retail spaces. But it appears you do not intend to run things at Abercrombie and Fitch (loud) levels.

You need to elaborate and clarify so that we can attempt to help you.
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
203-888-6217

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

• COMSYSTEC
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 12:45:18 PM »

You might want to go to the Muzak and DMX websites and do some studying.

-Hal

luis Markson

• Just keep going....
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 10:48:41 PM »

-Hal

This is the info I needed, thanks.

I'm obviously not sure what I'm trying to achieve - more interested in what is possible. Just like certain colours can influence behaviour, I'm wondering if music can too.

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 11:00:54 PM »

-Hal

This is the info I needed, thanks.

I'm obviously not sure what I'm trying to achieve - more interested in what is possible. Just like certain colours can influence behaviour, I'm wondering if music can too.

Hello,

Yes, music can influence behavior, fast paced, high dynamic music is typical of fast food restaurants and sports retail stores as an example.  But, in these different environments, they are "designed" to excite different emotions.

In fast food, they want you to be excited, to eat more food than you'd normally consider and leave fairly quickly, so that more tables are open to other customers. They hope they'll have a higher customer turn-over.

Sporting good stores use fast paced music to get the customer's blood pumping, also getting them excited, but, to get the customers imagining themselves participating in the sport of their choice. 

Video images along with dynamic sound seems to be the big gimmick today. Example:   Ski department of a Sporting goods store... images of downhill skiers racing down a mountain side....influences a potential customer to purchase some ski gear.

There's a lot of studies on human behavior as it relates to marketing. 

Good Luck,
  Hammer
Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

sam man

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 09:13:51 PM »

Take a look at the Series/parallel thread.

Hi there,

If its a relative small installation and your not looking for more than a simple audio system look into using something like a sonos system or for higher quality look at the Linn sneaky DS - http://www.linn.co.uk/sneaky_music_ds -

you'll need an internet connection, a 5 port ethernet switch and a computer to map the network hard drive to this will store all your music files so ty and get 1TB if you can which is more than enough space for most people. Music is then transferred into a folder on the network hard drive such as your itunes library for example, you then direct the linn/sonos to access that folder through the LAN network using the software sonos or linn comes with. Check out the sonos website for more details - http://www.sonos.com/experience/Default.aspx?rdr=true&LangType=2057

If your after some nice looking speakers check artcoustic speakers or image audios line of speakers. If you dont want to the see the speakers at all check out amina plastered in wall speakers these are ok but lack quality in their high frequency output. Both the artcoustic and image audio speakers allow you to print graphics (such as your business artwork for example) onto their canvas grills and they sound really good.

With Sonos you can stream straight from a sonos ipod dock, or a network hard drive to either a zp90 (unamplified) with audio outputs used in conjuction with an existing amp or a zp120 (which has an amp built in) with speaker outputs. Its possible to control the system using either the Sonos Cr200 controller or sonos iphone/ipod app. The system requires a good wifi local area network and can also stream radio from a huge number of internet radio stations.

Hope this gives you some ideas

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 07:12:41 AM »

If its a relative small installation and your not looking for more than a simple audio system look into using something like a sonos system or for higher quality look at the Linn sneaky DS - http://www.linn.co.uk/sneaky_music_ds -

you'll need an internet connection, a 5 port ethernet switch and a computer to map the network hard drive to this will store all your music files so ty and get 1TB if you can which is more than enough space for most people. Music is then transferred into a folder on the network hard drive such as your itunes library for example, you then direct the linn/sonos to access that folder through the LAN network using the software sonos or linn comes with. Check out the sonos website for more details - http://www.sonos.com/experience/Default.aspx?rdr=true&LangType=2057

If your after some nice looking speakers check artcoustic speakers or image audios line of speakers. If you dont want to the see the speakers at all check out amina plastered in wall speakers these are ok but lack quality in their high frequency output. Both the artcoustic and image audio speakers allow you to print graphics (such as your business artwork for example) onto their canvas grills and they sound really good.

With Sonos you can stream straight from a sonos ipod dock, or a network hard drive to either a zp90 (unamplified) with audio outputs used in conjuction with an existing amp or a zp120 (which has an amp built in) with speaker outputs. Its possible to control the system using either the Sonos Cr200 controller or sonos iphone/ipod app. The system requires a good wifi local area network and can also stream radio from a huge number of internet radio stations.
Using residential/consumer products in professional applications sometimes voids the warranty and many residential/consumer products require being purchased through approved dealers to be warranteed, however not all of those dealers are familiar with commercial installation practices and requirements.  Warranty and the installer's experience in commercial applications are something you may want to verify when considering using consumer products in commercial or professional applications.

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

• COMSYSTEC
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 01:53:33 PM »

Also let's not forget the liability of using music in a business establishment without paying for the use. Many people are under the impression that using an iPod, internet music or music they have "acquired" and put on a hard drive is legal.

-Hal
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 01:56:04 PM by Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC »

sam man

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 03:18:05 PM »

Yes Hal is right,

You would need to get a PRS music licence (if in the UK) to play recorded audio in your place of work. I only recommended a residential system as it seemed you dont need a sophisticated commercial system, Brad out of curiousity what type of system would you spec for a situation like this?? something like the Auvitran system? i need some help in this area as i have an installation coming up where i need to offer residential control intefaces but in a commercial environment.

Any help would be really appreciated

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 03:18:05 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.