ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: EAW BH760 - advice from users who've had success  (Read 13579 times)

James Heyser

• Smilin' James Sound
Re: EAW BH760 - advice from users who've had success
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2011, 04:11:03 AM »

I would not call my advice as tips, but proper use.  First, make sure your amplifier can drive this sub not below 4 ohm load at least 1.5 - 2x its rating power (800 w/ driver) Second, ground-stack only!!, side by side or top on each other in order to create a horn mouth shape. Third, put the right amount of delay to your 650. (around 5-8 ms)
Since you only run 4 KF650, no need to have another 4 BH760 if you do it right..

I see I should have included a lot more information about my system.  They're adequately powered (Crown IT4000, 2000 watts per cab @ 4 ohms).  I've programmed the delay as well, and my plan was to stack them as in the pic I'm attaching.  I'm curious how that's going to affect the coverage pattern, if anyone has any feedback with orienting them in this configuration as pictured or the same arrangement on it's side, please chime in!

I prefer to spread my subs out for live music (two to a side), for DJ's I've tried a cluster of four.  But comparing sub output for DJ's versus live is useless.  I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the output improvement over a cluster of four versus two pair.  Also, if I am using two pair, and I arrange them to form a single "horn shape", am I better off stacking or side by side?  I understand the basic functions and techniques (power ratings, time alignment, EQ & crossover) but I don't know how this will affect the coverage pattern. 

As for their capacity, I agree, even two of them has been more than adequate for some applications, but for reggae and DJ music I was thinking four more might pay off.  Also, eventually I may upgrade the tops.

Justin Bartlett

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2011, 09:41:59 PM »

I see I should have included a lot more information about my system.  They're adequately powered (Crown IT4000, 2000 watts per cab @ 4 ohms).  I've programmed the delay as well, and my plan was to stack them as in the pic I'm attaching.  I'm curious how that's going to affect the coverage pattern, if anyone has any feedback with orienting them in this configuration as pictured or the same arrangement on it's side, please chime in!

I prefer to spread my subs out for live music (two to a side), for DJ's I've tried a cluster of four.  But comparing sub output for DJ's versus live is useless.  I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the output improvement over a cluster of four versus two pair.  Also, if I am using two pair, and I arrange them to form a single "horn shape", am I better off stacking or side by side?  I understand the basic functions and techniques (power ratings, time alignment, EQ & crossover) but I don't know how this will affect the coverage pattern. 

As for their capacity, I agree, even two of them has been more than adequate for some applications, but for reggae and DJ music I was thinking four more might pay off.  Also, eventually I may upgrade the tops.

Based on my (limited) knowledge, I'd say what you have pictured would work great for indoor shows; I think it's more or less how they were designed to be used.

For outdoor shows you might be better off lining all of them up across the front of the stage one-high; otherwise you get the classic coverage issues throughout your coverage area:  power alley down the middle, patterns of addition and cancellation at different frequencies elsewhere.  That wouldn't really be any different than what you're experiencing with 2 per side though.

Wichak Chanmuang

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2011, 01:33:03 PM »

Ok.. Got your point...   From my experiences, If you have only 4, you'd better do it L-R as your 650.. The differences of Horn shape or side by side is not much.. But whenever you have 8 of them you have a lot of patterns to play with...  and it's another story of output!!!

David Gunness

• Classic LAB
    • Fulcrum Acoustic
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2011, 07:19:05 PM »

One other thing - it's my understanding that these cabinets were really designed to be used in clusters of at least four.  Obviously mine aren't used that way, since we only have two, but that's what I've been told.

The design was based on a block of four, but they work fine one at a time or two at a time.  Using fewer than four does not change the shape of the response, so the same processor settings will work no matter how you stack them.

Dave Gunness
(designer of BH760)
David Gunness
Fulcrum Acoustic, LLC

Dave Gunnell

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2011, 01:18:49 AM »

Hi James:

I have the same system you do--KF650z over BH760 subs.  I was an early adopter of the BH760, and EAW inadvertently (I think) dropped one of the original PEQ filters when they put together their latest subwoofer processor sheet.  The additional filter (originally "PEQ2") is centered at 74.3 Hz, -5.0 dB, Q=1.6.  The other two filters (at 35 Hz and 177 Hz) remain the same.  In my opinion the sub does not sound right without this filter.

When I bought my UX8800 I measured the BH760 transfer function through the UX (with Smaart) and compared it to the previous settings I had in my XTA DP226, and I found I still needed to add the 74.3 Hz filter to get a similar processing curve for the sub.

I'd be interested to hear your feedback on the system with the additional filter applied.

Best,

Dave Gunnell

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2011, 01:18:49 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.