ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mic for Accordion  (Read 12201 times)

David Shriver

• Rockport Music
Mic for Accordion
« on: May 04, 2011, 01:45:31 PM »

I have a bit of an unusual concert coming up.  One of the performers is going to be playing accordion.  That's not an instrument I've had to deal with in the past.  Between rental and the house kit I have a wide range of mics to choose from, but I'm at a bit of a lose on what to do with that accordion. 

I also need to do mics for flute and clarinet for the same concert.  I've done both in the past, but always with less than stellar results.  Any suggestions on that would be appreciated as well.

The stage volume is going to be rather high so gain before feedback is a MAJOR concern.

-d

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Mic for Accordion
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 02:33:36 PM »

I have a bit of an unusual concert coming up.  One of the performers is going to be playing accordion.  That's not an instrument I've had to deal with in the past.  Between rental and the house kit I have a wide range of mics to choose from, but I'm at a bit of a lose on what to do with that accordion. 

I also need to do mics for flute and clarinet for the same concert.  I've done both in the past, but always with less than stellar results.  Any suggestions on that would be appreciated as well.

The stage volume is going to be rather high so gain before feedback is a MAJOR concern.

-d

Any dynamic mic will work on the accordion.  Get it in on the grill of the RH side and right in the middle of the keyboard.  Forget the LH.........unless the player has some kind of LH solo or counter melody.  If you're lucky, the player will be pro enough to have some on-board mic system and can just hand you a cord like a guitar player or keyboard player would.

For flute use an SM58 with a pop filter and have the player work it close.

for the clarinet.........drop back 5 yards and punt.  not easy in high SPL situations.

Dick "I play the skweezbox" Rees
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Iain.Macdonald

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 02:45:02 PM »

Dick,

Do you know what system Jimmy Breaux of BeauSoleil uses.

Iain.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 03:59:59 PM »

Dick,

Do you know what system Jimmy Breaux of BeauSoleil uses.

Iain.

Nope.  Sorry.  I only know about piano and chromatic accordions.  What the Cajuns and TexMex/Norteno guys are using is not my area.

Steve Ferreira

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 05:14:10 PM »

I have had accordian players show up with 1/4" cables, and wireless mics.

Brian Ehlers

• West Michigan
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 06:17:16 PM »

As the others have said, it's not uncommon for accordians to have some sort of pick-up installed.  You might only need a direct box.

RaySoly

• Retired IATSE 56 MONTREAL
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 07:32:51 PM »

-d

David do yourself a big favour and try the DPA 4099 instrument mics on all these, put a pair on the accordion (we usually tape these to the instrument, check with artist first though).......you have never heard it like that and lots of gain too......http://www.dpamicrophones.com/en/Microphone-University/product-info/live-instrument-microphones.aspx

Ray

Roland Clarke

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 04:39:16 AM »

-d

Well this is where the wonders of youtube come in!  If you stick their name in you will see that he uses a microphone clipped onto the front of his accordian.  It looks something like an AKG or equivelent, I suspect that it is his own, a quick call to the band would confirm this.  As pointed out above, clip-on's are the best option for these type of bands where stage volume tends to be high.

David Shriver

• Rockport Music
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 11:15:30 AM »

I've spoken to the player about his accordion.  He has no pick up system and really hasn't been in a situation before where he's been in the PA.  He had some recommendations for recording, but none of those ideas will give me enough isolation or GBF to work for reinforcement. 

I'm thinking of renting a bunch of DPA 4099's and using 2 of them on the accordion, doing a universal mount for flute and clarinet and clip on mounts for the trumpet, tenor sax, and violin.  I was just looking for some other suggestions.  Thanks!

-d

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 03:41:05 PM »

I've spoken to the player about his accordion.  He has no pick up system and really hasn't been in a situation before where he's been in the PA.
-d

DANGER, WILL ROBINSON!!!!!

I f he has no experience playing through the PA that's two strikes to start with.

As I said previously, just stick a 57 or a 58 on a boom stand and get him to play right into it.....a couple of inches from the grill above the keyboard.  If he wants the sound of the "whole accordion" tell him he needs to have a mic system (Sennheiser makes a good one) installed.  You'll get a ton of GBF if he works the mic closely, as much or more than a singer.
Going with a more sophisticated system for such a novice will likely not give you a better result.  KISS
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 03:43:57 PM by dick rees »

Dana Sampson

• Quickbeam Systems Inc.
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 06:33:23 PM »

Beta 57.  :)

Marsellus Fariss

• Grey Eagle Music Hall
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011, 02:52:01 PM »

DANGER, WILL ROBINSON!!!!!

I f he has no experience playing through the PA that's two strikes to start with.

As I said previously, just stick a 57 or a 58 on a boom stand and get him to play right into it.....a couple of inches from the grill above the keyboard.  If he wants the sound of the "whole accordion" tell him he needs to have a mic system (Sennheiser makes a good one) installed.  You'll get a ton of GBF if he works the mic closely, as much or more than a singer.
Going with a more sophisticated system for such a novice will likely not give you a better result.  KISS

I second that. It'll be even easier if he's sitting down. It won't be the best accordion sound you've ever heard with just one side miced but it's not Clifton Chenier we're talking about if he's never even been on stage before. He'll most likely be playing just chords.
Marsellus Fariss
Production Manager
Grey Eagle Music Hall

Ambassador to Clubland
"Welcome to Clubland! Here's a Sharpie and your input list. Its 30 minutes till doors."

Quote from: dick rees
Just accept that it's a crap situation and take the money.

Steven Barnes

• SBTS Inc.
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2011, 06:50:27 PM »

We just added an accordion to the show I am touring with, We found an SM98 worked for micing the accordion. We just took the long flexible part of a shure drum mount and taped it to the top of the accordion placing the mic in the middle of the vent right above the keys about 1" away. It has been working great the last couple weeks.
Audio Engineering, Design, Consulting
SBTS Inc.
www.sbts-inc.com

Roland Clarke

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2011, 08:59:12 PM »

I've spoken to the player about his accordion.  He has no pick up system and really hasn't been in a situation before where he's been in the PA.  He had some recommendations for recording, but none of those ideas will give me enough isolation or GBF to work for reinforcement. 

I'm thinking of renting a bunch of DPA 4099's and using 2 of them on the accordion, doing a universal mount for flute and clarinet and clip on mounts for the trumpet, tenor sax, and violin.  I was just looking for some other suggestions.  Thanks!

-d

He must be a new recruit to the band, there are at least a couple of video's of the band on Youtube with an accordian player miked with a clip on.  If you really don't want to go that way a 58 (preferably a Beta) will do just fine.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2011, 10:59:22 PM »

=

He must be a new recruit to the band, there are at least a couple of video's of the band on Youtube with an accordian player miked with a clip on.  If you really don't want to go that way a 58 (preferably a Beta) will do just fine.

I do not see where the OP mentions the band by name.  A responder mentioned Beausoleil, but not the OP so we don't really know.  Judging by what the OP did say it would seem that the player in question is a temporary or one-time addition and has absolutely NO experience playing through a PA.

My go-to mic for my own use on my accordions has been the EV 408.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 11:36:00 PM by dick rees »

Drew Curtis

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2011, 03:36:23 PM »

-d

Try a sennheiser 609 either taped or creatively clawed to the accordion..

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2011, 03:36:23 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.