ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rack mountable drum trigger  (Read 4830 times)

Daniel Nickleski

Rack mountable drum trigger
« on: May 02, 2011, 01:26:48 PM »

The band I am currently working for is using a Roland drum pad to run an 808 sample. They really want to move from the pad to a rack mountable unit, but the only on we can seem to find is an Alesis that does a bit more than we really need. Here is what we need.

-Rack Mountable
-Ability to upload a Wav Sample (we have our own sample of an 808)
-Ability to hook up 2 trigger pads

Does anyone know of a unit?

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
Re: Rack mountable drum trigger
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 03:42:19 PM »

Don't know if you're referring to the older Alesis DM Pro module, but it did have the ability to load sounds onto it and use any pads.  Review of the unit here:
http://emusician.com/mag/emusic_alesis_dm_pro/

Daniel Nickleski

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 05:16:21 PM »

Don't know if you're referring to the older Alesis DM Pro module, but it did have the ability to load sounds onto it and use any pads.  Review of the unit here:
http://emusician.com/mag/emusic_alesis_dm_pro/

I've seen this one, but I have read a lot of reviews saying that people have had no luck installing their own sample. Do you have instructions on this? All I need is 1 808 wav file on it.

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 11:55:19 AM »

Sorry Dan I don't - I own the older D4, which has 12 trigger inputs, an OK set of 808-ish sounds, but no ability to load in samples; bought it back in '93 from Gand Music.

I remember looking at the DM-Pro as an upgrade to my home studio when it came out, but then all of the softsynths became better and less CPU intensive so I decided that a new drum-only unit wasn't really needed.

For $100, you may find the 808 sound in a D4 works well enough and you could then use MIDI out from the D4 to trigger the 808 WAV sample from a dedicated sampler or laptop.

Dragging myself out of the whiz-bang technology of 1993: Alesis has a new DM10 module that has trigger inputs and USB to load samples on. Pricier, but it's an all-in one solution.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DM10Module/

Daniel Nickleski

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 02:16:04 PM »

Yea we are currently using a Roland version of the DM10 and it works GREAT only issue is we really would like a rack mount unit. We do a lot of fly dates and nocking off one case for the drum sampler would be good. I find it hard to believe there are no rack mount units like this... If anyone happens to come up with one let me know!

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 04:02:43 PM »

Sorry Daniel - missed the rackmount requirement on top.

As rack-mounted drum modules declined in the last 15 years with the advent of softsynths, the trend has been to turn them into more user-friendly units to place on a drum kit with tons of usable sounds. I think drum triggers evolved into either units that attach to drum hardware and feed a MIDI module, or are an all-in one.

I'd look for a good used D4, D5 or DMPro to use as a trigger and pair it with your favorite rackmount sampler that you can easily get your WAV files into. Only cable from the kit will be a 1/4" from the pad to the back of the drum trigger unit.

there are some devices that are a self-contained MIDI trigger pad (the old Boss MPD-4), but then you are setting up a wall-wart power plug and a MIDI cable - i'd go trigger and sampler route.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 04:02:43 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.