ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Peavey Triflex II - Reviews?  (Read 15458 times)

Christopher Mitchell

Peavey Triflex II - Reviews?
« on: May 02, 2011, 12:46:12 AM »

While looking for a system to put in the basement of my new house, I came across the new Peavey Triflex II system among systems like the B52 Matrix 1000 v2. I am struggling to find reviews due to how recently the product was released. Has anyone heard it or have any experience with it? It is right in my price range ($800-$1000) and seems like it will deliver plenty of sound for what I need in my finished rec-room in my basement. FYI, the system will be used primarily for DJs spinning house/electronic music in a house-party setting.

Thanks in advance,
Chris Mitchell
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 12:47:43 AM by cbm3384 »
Chris M

Chris Carpenter

• Baton Rouge
Re: Peavey Triflex II - Reviews?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 03:05:10 AM »

While looking for a system to put in the basement of my new house, I came across the new Peavey Triflex II system among systems like the B52 Matrix 1000 v2. I am struggling to find reviews due to how recently the product was released. Has anyone heard it or have any experience with it? It is right in my price range ($800-$1000) and seems like it will deliver plenty of sound for what I need in my finished rec-room in my basement. FYI, the system will be used primarily for DJs spinning house/electronic music in a house-party setting.

Thanks in advance,
Chris Mitchell

Keep in mind I haven't experienced the system myself. However, I feel the Peavey system may sacrifice some sound quality for portability. If this system is staying in one room, I think you could find  a better value on more suitable speakers for your application.
Is a single 15" subwoofer going to be enough for house music? Sure you'll be able to hear the top of the kick and harmonics of the sub synths, but I think you'll be happier with an 18" or two (you are not going to get anything bass wise from the two mains).

Christopher Mitchell

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 01:36:47 PM »

Keep in mind I haven't experienced the system myself. However, I feel the Peavey system may sacrifice some sound quality for portability. If this system is staying in one room, I think you could find  a better value on more suitable speakers for your application.
Is a single 15" subwoofer going to be enough for house music? Sure you'll be able to hear the top of the kick and harmonics of the sub synths, but I think you'll be happier with an 18" or two (you are not going to get anything bass wise from the two mains).

I was thinking about looking for a decent set of 15" powered cabs in that price range to start, then adding an 18" sub down the road. Any suggestions in that price range? I'm thinking $400/cab.

Thanks,
Chris
Chris M

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 01:44:21 PM »

I was thinking about looking for a decent set of 15" powered cabs in that price range to start, then adding an 18" sub down the road. Any suggestions in that price range? I'm thinking $400/cab.

Thanks,
Chris

Decent powered box and $400 in the same sentence?

Not by any standards in my world.
Jay Barracato

Christopher Mitchell

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 01:56:42 PM »

Decent powered box and $400 in the same sentence?

Not by any standards in my world.

Figured that would be the answer. I may just bite the bullet and spend more, or just settle for a B52 Matrix 1000 v2 (which I've heard and would be more than enough) or a Triflex if I can listen to one and it sounds better.

Thanks,
Chris
Chris M

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 03:25:36 PM »

Figured that would be the answer. I may just bite the bullet and spend more, or just settle for a B52 Matrix 1000 v2 (which I've heard and would be more than enough) or a Triflex if I can listen to one and it sounds better.

Thanks,
Chris

I think almost anything Peavey would be a step up over anything "B52."
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Chris Carpenter

• Baton Rouge
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 04:49:45 PM »

Thanks,
Chris
A couple things about the B52. I assume you had it demoed in Guitar Center. If that's the case, they more than likely had the sub gain at maximum. The subwoofer on that system does sound very good... when attenuated all the way up, up close, at low volume. The system (especially highs) seems to run out of gas very quickly, and has almost no midrange. I'm with Tim that the Peavey would be much better, but I still don't think it would be the best way to spend your money, given the application.

Christopher Mitchell

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 11:20:45 AM »

A couple things about the B52. I assume you had it demoed in Guitar Center. If that's the case, they more than likely had the sub gain at maximum. The subwoofer on that system does sound very good... when attenuated all the way up, up close, at low volume. The system (especially highs) seems to run out of gas very quickly, and has almost no midrange. I'm with Tim that the Peavey would be much better, but I still don't think it would be the best way to spend your money, given the application.

I also believe that Peavey will provide better sound quality than B52 without a doubt. Again, commenting on the capability of the system in the space I plan on using it in - it is literally going in a 600 sq ft finished "rec-room". I have no doubt that the sound it puts out will easily fill that space. I believe subwoofer will provide plenty of thump as well for what I need. I just want to hear some first hand information on sound quality and can't seem to find anyone who has heard it. If I get it, I'll be sure to post my thoughts!

Chris
Chris M

Tracy Garner

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 12:45:34 PM »

I also believe that Peavey will provide better sound quality than B52 without a doubt. Again, commenting on the capability of the system in the space I plan on using it in - it is literally going in a 600 sq ft finished "rec-room". I have no doubt that the sound it puts out will easily fill that space. I believe subwoofer will provide plenty of thump as well for what I need. I just want to hear some first hand information on sound quality and can't seem to find anyone who has heard it. If I get it, I'll be sure to post my thoughts!

Chris

Someone actually GAVE me a B52 1000v2 setup. It really isn't as bad as I thought it would be. Last week, I dropped one of the tops off the back of my box truck - no damage.

I haven't managed to find the trick of pulling off the badges from the grills.

Last summer, I did a dj gig at a yard party and it was loud enough that the police came asking me to turn down the bass. They had no noise complaints about the top-end.

The thing sure is handy. I'm not a big fan of the 10" for mid-range but this thing does the job and its powered-everything in your price-range. The tops are 4ohm and I haven't blown them yet. I use the tops alone for monitors for comedy shows with any amp available. The bass cabinet has wheels and I haven't managed to scrape and break the power button on any sidewalks yet.

If these things are going to be laying around in your house or if you find yourself needing the smallest system for a yard party, this might be the one for you.

I wouldn't use this setup for any real critical listening or PA service but for a utility, it works well.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 12:45:34 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 24 queries.