ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which is more popular and why  (Read 11899 times)

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Which is more popular and why
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2011, 01:11:31 PM »

I get what you are saying when it comes to total weight in the truck but the boxes themselves are heavier. Something to consider if you fly your rig often. Take a Vertec 4889 for example, the powered box is 205 lbs while the unpowered is 160, now hang 12 of them a side and do the math.

If you're hanging 12 VT4889s per side, chances are you are not hanging on a single 1T point. Once you have 2 1T points, or a single 2T, the weight difference doesn't matter so much.

Mac

Scott Bolt

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2011, 08:43:48 PM »

...a lighter rig...

I get what you are saying when it comes to total weight in the truck but the boxes themselves are heavier. Something to consider if you fly your rig often. Take a Vertec 4889 for example, the powered box is 205 lbs while the unpowered is 160, now hang 12 of them a side and do the math.
That may be a good point.  I tend to think of things in terms of bar venue setups.  The current crop of powered speakers are ideal for these venues IMHO.

I wonder though if the future isn't powered speakers.  It is just really really convenient to have the OEM engineering staff doing your optimization for you and having it embedded in the DSP of the speaker ;)

Of course, this breaks down with speakers at various positions from each other.  In a simple bar venue (tops over subs), you really only have to align to one physical arrangement.... and this can be delivered from the factory.  If you have a more varied setup .... I guess you are back to a speaker management system and someone that actually understands how to setup the FOH system :)

James Feenstra

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2011, 11:09:08 PM »

If you're hanging 12 VT4889s per side, chances are you are not hanging on a single 1T point. Once you have 2 1T points, or a single 2T, the weight difference doesn't matter so much.

Mac
it wouldn't even matter in a 4 box array; 820lbs vs 640lbs...still a 1t point for all intensive purposes...a 10-11 box array, however, would probably be about the only time where weight would make passive boxes better hanging wise, as you could still use a 1t instead of having to up it to a 2t point (2005lbs vs 1600lbs). mind you i've never seen that many boxes on a single point anyways.

only real point where it'd come in to play is ground stacking the array...and even then 4 guys lifting a 205lb box vs a 160lb box isn't going to be an overly huge difference
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2011, 11:27:52 PM »

mind you i've never seen that many boxes on a single point anyways.

Exactly. If you are flying 12 large format boxes, it isn't in a hotel ballroom with 22' ceilings and 750# points. In an arena it is relatively easy to get 2T points with bridles.

Mac

Dave Bigelow

• Louisville, KY when I am actually home...
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2011, 11:29:51 AM »

I was thinking more along the lines of outdoors.

If your current roof system (or the one you rent) can't handle the weight then you have no option but to go with separate amp racks.

Where exactly did I say single point or specify what motors one may use on a gig that doesn't even exist?

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2011, 11:55:45 AM »

If your current roof system (or the one you rent) can't handle the weight then you have no option but to go with separate amp racks.

Where exactly did I say single point or specify what motors one may use on a gig that doesn't even exist?

A Stageline roof can't handle that weight, but 12 4889s also hang below the deck level on a Stageline. If you are flying that much PA you are dealing with infrastructure that can handle it.

Mac

James Feenstra

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2011, 01:48:27 PM »

A Stageline roof can't handle that weight, but 12 4889s also hang below the deck level on a Stageline. If you are flying that much PA you are dealing with infrastructure that can handle it.

Mac
exactly...scaffold/truss won't particularly care about about an extra 250-500 lbs unless it's incredibly poorly designed to begin with, in which case you shouldn't be hanging anything from it!
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com

Scott Bolt

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2011, 10:57:01 PM »

You guys are insane.  I can't even begin to imagine that large of a system ;)

Dave Bigelow

• Louisville, KY when I am actually home...
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2011, 08:37:24 AM »

exactly...scaffold/truss won't particularly care about about an extra 250-500 lbs unless it's incredibly poorly designed to begin with, in which case you shouldn't be hanging anything from it!

Well no fucking shit, contrary to popular belief this is not everybody's first rodeo.

Yeah I went extreme with the example but way to miss the point.

James Feenstra

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2011, 01:30:23 PM »

Well no fucking shit, contrary to popular belief this is not everybody's first rodeo.

Yeah I went extreme with the example but way to miss the point.
never said it was...

but the only time passive vs active really comes into play is with packing the truck...you need less truck space for an active array than you do with a passive...

weight is never really a factor
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2011, 01:30:23 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 25 queries.