ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: My new monitor split and console  (Read 8308 times)

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
My new monitor split and console
« on: April 28, 2011, 06:45:06 PM »

The band I play in between sound gigs is doing more shows with a FOH guy
We want to keep our monitor control on stage
This is the new monitor rig

Splitter snake = zero pounds / zero dollars
Monitor console = 1.5 pounds / $350 for the IPad and 35 for the IKlip mic stand holder
Setup time = close to none.

After my very positive experience with mixing wirelessly with it last week, I think it will work.

The only thing that will take more time is all the "what-the-hell-is-that....COOL!"  conversations we'll have.

Chris Carpenter

• Baton Rouge
Re: My new monitor split and console
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 11:30:05 PM »

Monitor console = 1.5 pounds / $350 for the IPad and 35 for the IKlip mic stand holder

After my very positive experience with mixing wirelessly with it last week, I think it will work.

The only thing that will take more time is all the "what-the-hell-is-that....COOL!"  conversations we'll have.

Thats unbelievably cool.

I just cant wait until we get digital audio gear with open source capabilities. There was a thread earlier discussing the differences in types of processors. But just imagine if someone released a system processor or mixer that let the world play with the software. Given, it would be difficult to sell units after the initial unit's release (because any new functionality would just be added to the old unit), but it would be unbelievably awesome.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 04:54:54 AM »

Very nice Steve. Just wondering why pink seems to be your favorite color. Is it a fashion statement??
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 07:29:21 AM »

Very nice Steve. Just wondering why pink seems to be your favorite color. Is it a fashion statement??

LOL!

That guitar is a deep red.  Don't know why the camera made it pink, but it sure does look that way in the pic.  My favorite color is Red (for anything but Tele's, those need to be  Butterscotch)

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 11:53:43 AM »

Did I miss something in the details of this post? How exactly do monitors get to the Ipad? Is this a SAC rig or something?
Member since 2005.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 01:26:25 PM »

Did I miss something in the details of this post? How exactly do monitors get to the Ipad? Is this a SAC rig or something?

Bueller?... Bueller?... Bueller?

Mac

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 06:30:55 PM »

LS9-16 at FOH.  FOH and monitors controlled from the LS9
IPad on stage connected wirelessly to the LS9 via the StageMix ap that Yamaha recently released

My band normally plays pretty small clubs and I've always run sound from the stage. We've have a few shows coming up at venues large enough that the band finally agreed to pay for a FOH mixer. I still want to run monitors from the stage since I know exactly what we want and how to get it fast. If the IPad acts up, the FOH guy can do it for us from FOH.

(If we do work with someone using their own rig, we can do things the old fashioned way and bring the LS9 just for monitors , but we'll have to bring a rented splitter snake to do that)

« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 06:35:00 PM by Steve Hurt »

Airton Pereira

• The Knutz
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 09:50:21 PM »

Nice! I too have a Ls9, mine is the 32 channel version. Indeed, the ipad seems to be very reliable in allowing the musician to control his/her own mix.
Drummer and Sound Engineer for The Knutz.

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 05:56:29 PM »

LOL!

That guitar is a deep red.  Don't know why the camera made it pink, but it sure does look that way in the pic.  My favorite color is Red (for anything but Tele's, those need to be  Butterscotch)

I'd have also settled for an original "flower power" pink tele, not the reissues. Takes a strong man to play a pink guitar (or drive a pink muscle car)...

Steve - very slick on the monitor with iPad! on the iClip - how quick does that come on and off the mic stand? May get one for our keyboard player for his iPad so he can put lyrics/chord sheets on it...

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 07:12:40 PM »

LOL!

I'd have also settled for an original "flower power" pink tele, not the reissues. Takes a strong man to play a pink guitar (or drive a pink muscle car)...

Steve - very slick on the monitor with iPad! on the iClip - how quick does that come on and off the mic stand? May get one for our keyboard player for his iPad so he can put lyrics/chord sheets on it...

Well if both of my favorite board members are that into pink I could re-tolex some Fender amps for the two of you. Then you would have matching amps, guitars, and a whole new following.  ;D ;D
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 06:19:47 PM »

Thanks for the offer Bob, but I'll pass for now - Fender tolex in black is fine for me...

Rufus G. Crowder

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 09:22:59 AM »

Nice! I too have a Ls9, mine is the 32 channel version. Indeed, the ipad seems to be very reliable in allowing the musician to control his/her own mix.
When mixing FOH on the LS9, does it affect the eq mix when mixing monitors as it does on the 01V96?  That is really bothersome... Still trying to figure out a workaround rather than giving up channels.

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2011, 05:01:06 PM »

When mixing FOH on the LS9, does it affect the eq mix when mixing monitors as it does on the 01V96?  That is really bothersome... Still trying to figure out a workaround rather than giving up channels.

I don't know if your using your Adat outs on your desk or want to bother with a monitor board but this is what I did.
I was doing a smallish band ( 16 channels ) who wanted a monitor mix on stage. I took 16 channels of adat into a pair of ADA8000s. Pre everything but gain. Sent these down a snake run to their console. Once my gain was set they were good to go. If you have a spare desk this works well at FOH also.  With even a small desk you can have L/R stereo in ears and depending on the Aux count a bunch of other mixes as well.

Even if you only have the stock 8 adat outs you can do some subgrouping and get by in a pinch.

Douglas R. Allen

Dave Neale

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2011, 08:00:19 PM »

Double bus the head amps to both fader layers. Head amp 1 to fader 1 AND fader 17, etc.  Run FOH from layer 1-32, monitor mixes from 33-64.  Shared gain, but all EQ and other processing is independent.

Gary A. Perrett

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2011, 11:41:59 PM »

I see that the Presonus will do this as well.
G

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2011, 11:41:59 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.