ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: CL truth in advertising  (Read 5703 times)

Kirby Yarbrough

• SR Forums
  • Reston, Virginia
CL truth in advertising
« on: April 25, 2011, 08:44:13 AM »

From a recent DC CL ad:

We are looking for candiates who want to get into the music business, by setting up sound and lighting for events. We are also open to work with DJ's and other companies.

Now Hiring:
INTERNS
"learn the ropes of the mobile music business, and possibly get a job with us in the future"

DJ's/screw staff:
"our management team will train upcoming DJ's"

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
Re: CL truth in advertising
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 09:15:55 AM »

From a recent DC CL ad:

We are looking for candiates who want to get into the music business, by setting up sound and lighting for events. We are also open to work with DJ's and other companies.

Now Hiring:
INTERNS
"learn the ropes of the mobile music business, and possibly get a job with us in the future"

DJ's/screw staff:

Translation:  You will work for us for free.  When you start asking us when you will be paid....we will disolve our relationship, kicking you to the curb.

If you are already a talented DJ, we will exploit your abilities and keep the highest percentage of the proceeds from the gigs you'll work, until you decide you've had enough of our BS .

Well...it sounds like there's some truth to their advertising...."screw staff"   ;)

Cheers,
   Hammer

Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

Ben Lawrence

• VT AUDIO VISUAL
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 12:41:13 PM »

Wonder how many responses they got though.

Eric Hendricks

• U.P. of Michigan
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 03:10:25 PM »

Translation:  You will work for us for free.  When you start asking us when you will be paid....we will disolve our relationship, kicking you to the curb.

If you are already a talented DJ, we will exploit your abilities and keep the highest percentage of the proceeds from the gigs you'll work, until you decide you've had enough of our BS .

Well...it sounds like there's some truth to their advertising...."screw staff"   ;)

Cheers,
   Hammer

Yeah, but how many times have kids asked for advice here about how to get into the business and they've been advised to work for free (pushing cases, sweeping floors, etc.) just to get their foot in door and show that they are serious?

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 04:26:16 PM »

Yeah, but how many times have kids asked for advice here about how to get into the business and they've been advised to work for free (pushing cases, sweeping floors, etc.) just to get their foot in door and show that they are serious?
I'd go to SoloTech and make an offer. Same with Clair or MSI. Sure as hell wouldn't go to Unkle Bob's DJ and Car Wash.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Charlie Zureki

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 07:59:05 PM »

Hello,

There are many occupations and Corporations that look highly on potential career chooser's  working as an intern, either paid or unpaid.

The problem with this advertisement .... most bonafide Audio Companies do not have a problem finding interns..... but, the quality of this advertisement smacks of a low-ball, unprofessional, wanna-be, upstart company, that chooses to USE other people without any reciprocation.

Also...it gives me the impression that unlike a typical Pro Audio, Video, Staging or Lighting Company, they're not looking for a couple/few interns....it seems as though they're looking for a CREW.  An Unpaid Crew.

Is this company also a talent/ booking agent?....... "Our management team will train upcoming DJs"

Good Luck,
   Hammer

Hammer

Adam Wh3tham

• Grand Forks, ND
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 11:49:35 PM »

From a recent DC CL ad:

Now Hiring:
INTERNS

DJ's/screw staff:

For anyone trying to play the intern card. I present the government rules

http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs71.pdf
I practice safe excursion on the weekends

Charlie Zureki

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 09:58:29 AM »

From a recent DC CL ad:

Now Hiring:
INTERNS

DJ's/screw staff:

Exactly!

Thanks Adam.

Hammer

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 11:16:42 AM »

I owned a business that employed over 100 people and understand employment law at least as well as the average bear and I have to ask:

Has there ever, in the history of any company, anywhere, ever, been an intern program that did not violate term number 4? 

4.   The employer that provides the training derives no immediate advantage from the activities of the intern; and on occasion its operations may actually be impeded;

I understand why it's written that way, but in reality, if an intern is actually learning and interacting on a daily basis, they will cause immediate benefit to/for the organization from time to time whether it's intentional or not.

We never had interns.  If someone approached me and truly had a "I want to learn and I'll work for free to do it if necessary" attitude, I would have hired them just to have that attitude around to rub off on my other employees.

(I'd bet $100 that the DJ company is in flagrant violation of more than just #4)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 11:28:38 AM by Steve Hurt »

Eric Hendricks

• U.P. of Michigan
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 12:16:26 PM »

Hello,

There are many occupations and Corporations that look highly on potential career chooser's  working as an intern, either paid or unpaid.

The problem with this advertisement .... most bonafide Audio Companies do not have a problem finding interns..... but, the quality of this advertisement smacks of a low-ball, unprofessional, wanna-be, upstart company, that chooses to USE other people without any reciprocation.

Also...it gives me the impression that unlike a typical Pro Audio, Video, Staging or Lighting Company, they're not looking for a couple/few interns....it seems as though they're looking for a CREW.  An Unpaid Crew.

Is this company also a talent/ booking agent?....... "Our management team will train upcoming DJs"

Good Luck,
   Hammer

Hammer

Ok.  Thanks for the clarification.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 12:21:38 PM »

I have offered the above advice on many occasions, but it has never been with the understanding that someone, even a n00b, would work for free. A lower wage, or fewer benefits, yes, but work is work in my book and should be paid. Also, most of the time I have advised people to seek entry level employment opportunities through the IATSE call list in their area. No one on the IATSE payroll works for free. Period.

Free or volunteer work is what school is for (and maybe church). If you are working on a production in a professional environment, you should be paid, no matter what your level of experience is. Companies and job heads who say that you have to work for free to prove you are capable/worth keeping/serious about the work are the scum of the earth and promote nothing other than slavery.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 12:28:21 PM by Justice C. Bigler »
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Charlie Zureki

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 12:46:30 PM »

I owned a business that employed over 100 people and understand employment law at least as well as the average bear and I have to ask:

Has there ever, in the history of any company, anywhere, ever, been an intern program that did not violate term number 4? 

4.   The employer that provides the training derives no immediate advantage from the activities of the intern; and on occasion its operations may actually be impeded;

I understand why it's written that way, but in reality, if an intern is actually learning and interacting on a daily basis, they will cause immediate benefit to/for the organization from time to time whether it's intentional or not.

Hello,

Some specialty fields...like Diamond cutting.... there is no immediate benefit to the organization because the intern/trainee would need to be constantly supervised by a trained diamond cutter.  If he messes up, it costs the company money in lost product.

I'm sure there's others...   ;D

Hammer

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 12:46:30 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 21 queries.