ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL PRX618s  (Read 15697 times)

Jesse Walter

JBL PRX618s
« on: April 24, 2011, 03:11:30 PM »

Picked up 2 JBL PRX618s subs to run with our 2 PRX718s for an outdoor show yesterday for a rock band.  Half way through the 1st set I noticed one 618's power light was not on.  Check it out and it was dead.  I guess it must have blown some kind of internal fuse or the amp just crapped out.

The 618s are only 100w less but they just can't compare with the 718s. The 718 moves so much more air.  The quality of the construction is sub par to the 718 imho.  I'm going to take these back Monday and try my luck with the 618xlf. 

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
Re: JBL PRX618s
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 11:53:47 PM »

Please let us know what you think of the XLF model.  It is a huge improvement over the regular 618, but I am curious how it compares to the older 718.

Jesse Walter

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 04:46:10 PM »

Please let us know what you think of the XLF model.  It is a huge improvement over the regular 618, but I am curious how it compares to the older 718.

I ordered 2 XLFs and they should be here in a week or so.  I'll do an A/B with my board and an Ipod when I get them.  I won't be able to test them in a live setting with a band until May 28th.

The 618s just plain sucked.  Maybe they would be OK for a DJ but they are in a different class than the 718.  We used an old pair of 518s a couple weeks ago and they sounded better than the 618.  I sure hope the XLF is on par with the 718.

jenna28higgins

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 02:28:28 AM »

I ordered 2 XLFs and they should be here in a week or so.  I'll do an A/B with my board and an Ipod when I get them.  I won't be able to test them in a live setting with a band until May 28th.

The 618s just plain sucked.  Maybe they would be OK for a DJ but they are in a different class than the 718.  We used an old pair of 518s a couple weeks ago and they sounded better than the 618.  I sure hope the XLF is on par with the 718.

Whenever you get the XLFs then let me know how you worked with it? Planning to order it but still not much confident.

Jon R Smith

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 12:20:53 PM »

The PRX618XLF (X-tended Low Frequency) as well as the PRX718 & the VRX918SP all use the same 2268FF Driver. Power ratings aside they are more on par with each other. The PRX618 uses the same driver (268G) as the EON Sub and is essentially the same sub as the EON.
Jon

If you haven't seen the future, your not driving fast enough.

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 10:20:34 AM »

Everything you say, Jon, is accurate.  The PRX618s-XLF doesn't get a lot of praise here, but I think that is because not a lot of people here have heard them yet.

I recently bought a second pair and finally got a chance to use them last weekend with a rock band in a nice room.  Two XLF's with a bi-amped SRX 722 per side.  The two subs stacked gets the 722 nice and high and it sits securely on the recessed top of the 618. It wasn't a big room - the mix position was only about 40 feet from stage.  It sounded good!  I was hitting 110db peaks at mix position with nice chest-thumping lows, and the red limit lights on the 618's were not close to flashing.  In other words, I had  more in reserve. 

They only weigh about 80 pounds apiece and can be had for slightly over $1000.00 if you look around.  I like the idea of adding or subtracting subs as needed without adding amps or re-configuring my current amp racks. 

I'm sold!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 10:30:47 AM by Chuck Simon »

Jerome Casinger

• Castle Rock DJ and Sound
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 06:22:19 PM »

I have been waiting for about 3 or so weeks on these, and contacted JBL to see what the deal was.  Huge backlog, not even sending any more out until the 1st or 2nd week of June.  So I will sit and wait......but would love to hear more from people who have them in the mean time!

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 09:58:43 AM »

Jerome, there are some dealers advertising on Ebay that have them in stock.

Jerome Casinger

• Castle Rock DJ and Sound
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 08:01:43 PM »

Jerome, there are some dealers advertising on Ebay that have them in stock.

I dont want to pay those prices  ;D

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 10:45:01 PM »

I dont want to pay those prices  ;D

So, you're saying there is a reason those dealers still have inventory? 8)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 10:45:01 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.