ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: MyMix vs Aviom  (Read 79037 times)

Lee Buckalew

Re: MyMix vs Aviom
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2011, 08:41:35 AM »

Josh,
Please read the rules and change to using your real full name when posting.
The moderator will be by soon to lock the thread and make the same request I'm sure.

Thanks,
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Josh Bartunek

• http://www.mymixaudio.com
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2011, 09:56:50 AM »

OK. Should be changed. Thanks for the advice!

lorenjones

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2011, 11:21:54 PM »

Thanks for the info Josh,

Just wondering re: the 8 stereo or dual mono pairs.  If configured for dual mono can each of the channels of the dual mono be adjusted individually so in effect you can have 16 fully adjustable mono channels?

We are waiting on a hands on demo which should help us get a good idea about the system.

Thanks,
Loren Jones
Loren Jones

Josh Bartunek

• http://www.mymixaudio.com
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2011, 06:47:38 AM »

Hi Loren,
Yes, if you configure the pair as dual mono the two channels appear as separately named, pan-able, mix-able channels. They just happen to travel together on the network infrastructure. You could even choose not to see one member of the pair on the main mix screen. Have you been contacted regarding the demo?
Josh

lorenjones

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2011, 08:05:18 AM »

So by way of sharing our thoughts I will post that we demoed a small MyMix setup installed at a local church's teen stage yesterday.  Three worship leaders from our church were there with me and the MyMix distributor/dealer was there.

The consensus from the musicians was that the system is easy to navigate, find what you need to find and adjust levels etc.  It seemed intuitive for them to use.  It has pan, level, effect level, and a tone control (low/high like on an old radio) per channel.  The main output EQ is 4 bands fully parametric with the option to make the hi and low bands shelving.  I agreed with the musicians that the user interface was quite simple to figure out.

I had thought that you could connect several together in daisy chain fashion to form a system without them having to be connected to an ethernet switch but apparently that isn't the case.

I think the MyMix has some advantages over the competition mainly the ability to select your 16 mix channels from a large number of choices (not sure the max number possible but it is in the hundreds).  With the standard Aviom Pro16 system you can't do that.  Also an advantage is the ability to use more than 8 MyMix stations on the network (as many as you want) which is also an advantage over Aviom.  The multitrack recording to SD card is a nice bonus.

With Aviom you know you are getting a product from a well established company that has been around for quite a few years so you don't have to worry to much about the company going under and you being left hi and dry if something breaks.

Anyway that's our take on it after an audition of the system.  Any other thoughts from you all are certainly appreciated but we are likely going to purchase this in the next week or two and I will report back with how it is working out for us.

Loren Jones
Loren Jones

Kevin Hoober

• http://www.pinelake.org
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2011, 10:24:30 PM »

Hey Loren,

I've enjoyed following this thread for the little while.  I'm glad to see somebody giving Aviom a run for its money.  A few comments on your last post:

lorenjones wrote on Sun, 23 January 2011 07:05

I had thought that you could connect several together in daisy chain fashion to form a system without them having to be connected to an ethernet switch but apparently that isn't the case.

I take it that the system uses a POE switch?  Or does each mixer need a wall-wart?

lorenjones wrote on Sun, 23 January 2011 07:05

Also an advantage is the ability to use more than 8 MyMix stations on the network (as many as you want) which is also an advantage over Aviom.

How is this an advantage?  As far as I know, there is not a limitation to the number of Aviom Mixers in a system.  
(I'm not questioning the beauty of having assignable inputs on the mixers)

Keep the good info coming,
Kevin

lorenjones

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2011, 10:55:28 PM »

Quote:

I take it that the system uses a POE switch? Or does each mixer need a wall-wart?

They can get power from either POE or wall warts.

Quote:

How is this an advantage? As far as I know, there is not a limitation to the number of Aviom Mixers in a system.
(I'm not questioning the beauty of having assignable inputs on the mixers)

It may be my misunderstanding of an Aviom system.  I thought they could only do 8 mixers per network but that may be just 8 mixers per A16D distributor and you can use multiple distributors if you want more mixers on the network.

I think having the large LCD screen with click-wheel interface and easy ability to label everything as you want it is quite nice on the mymix system.  I haven't looked at an Aviom system hands on.  It just seems like the ability to select from more than 16 channels to make the mix each person wants is nice, although I guess most of the time each person will want most of the same inputs included in their mix.  If that number exceeds 16 then we will most likely have to make some of it happen with submixes sent to the mymix system anyway.

Take care,
Loren Jones
Loren Jones

John M Gibby

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2011, 09:40:09 AM »

What is the setup like for the MyMix stations.  Does each station have to go through the list of possible inputs and pare it down to 16?  For a fixed installation I can see that this is a mostly one time setup per station.  However, I think it gives the user the ability to screw up their mix.  It seems that a lot of amateur musicians think they need everything in their mix and want a mix that is like the house mix.  Those that know what they are doing will ask for only what they need in their mix.

While the MyMix does seem intriguing to me, I'm still in the Roland M-48 camp.  Plus, I still don't like the big LCD screens on onstage equipment in a setting where going to black is a requirement at times.  The proliferation of onstage LEDs and lights drives me crazy and detracts from the mood of the performance.  I know people are becoming more accustomed to it, but I still think that LCDs will even more distracting that little LED lights.

The Roland has a better set of features in my book.  And the system operator can set up each station by copying another station setup.  Additionally, they can pool inputs on one station group.  The only thing the MyMix has that the M-48 doesn't is the recording to SD Card, but they do have a record out.  

Regardless, competition is GOOD!

Kevin Hoober

• http://www.pinelake.org
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2011, 10:59:56 PM »

lorenjones wrote on Sun, 23 January 2011 21:55

It may be my misunderstanding of an Aviom system.  I thought they could only do 8 mixers per network but that may be just 8 mixers per A16D distributor and you can use multiple distributors if you want more mixers on the network.

you can also daisy-chain mixers (of course, you get to use wall-warts)

lorenjones wrote on Sun, 23 January 2011 21:55

It just seems like the ability to select from more than 16 channels to make the mix each person wants is nice, although I guess most of the time each person will want most of the same inputs included in their mix.

Usually 16 channels proves to be enough for the band guys--I wish for more channels when I need to add singers to the mix.  The only solution here w/ Aviom would be to use two systems--which can get messy.  Our current solution is Aviom for the band and individual stereo mixes (off of our SM20--I'm also interested in how you do in selling yours) for the singers.

Noticed an article in January's Live Sound International on this very subject, but it isn't intended to highlight the differences between the systems.

keep it coming,

Kevin H.

Kent Thompson

• http://www.kentssongs.com
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2011, 12:31:18 AM »

How is the build?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2011, 12:31:18 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.