ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: MyMix vs Aviom  (Read 79091 times)

Kent Thompson

• http://www.kentssongs.com
Re: MyMix vs Aviom
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2011, 01:22:18 PM »

Something else to consider is how each system is built. Bear in mind this was an equipment dealer saying this but, he said everything but the Roland would fall apart after being used on the road(the mymix was not included in his comments). Granted this will be non moving in a church setting but, reliability and durability should also play into your decision.

Second is how does each system compare sound wise.

If you are looking at an iLive. They do have digital interfaces for a few systems out there except mymix and the Roland (without adding a bunch of equipment). The mymix has no digital input possibilities that I can see correct me if I am wrong in this.

I noticed that this system only has inputs and no through so you will need a splitter or extra dedicated outputs to feed the mymix. It would be good to talk with someone in the company to see where they are heading with their products to see how they might play into future changes you have planned for you system.

They are using the new open standards audio networking protocol I noticed which means it could at a later time talk with other systems that adhere to this protocol. And take feeds from them? (ie audinate who also has promised to adhere to this protocol once finalized) something to ask anyways.

Lee Buckalew

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2011, 02:27:08 PM »

Kent,
If you are referring to me, I am not a dealer for anything.  My company provides design, consultation and training.  At times we also provide brokerage services.

As far as interfacing goes, the Roland does not require "A bunch of extra equipment", it can interface to any MADI interface via the S-MADI interface.  The I Live T can utilize the M-MADI as an output card.

AVIOM ca not take any connection type except A-Net.  They do make their own A to D converters to get into the A-Net format or you can utilize an A-Net card as an output from various digital mixers.  Perhaps this would also be "A bunch of extra equipment".

I do not know enough about MyMix to comment.  I did not see any notes about a direct digital input capability, only analogue.

His,
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

lorenjones

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2011, 08:15:34 PM »

Lee,

Thanks for the "ramblings".  I am not a computer network savvy guy.  Even less so than I am a sound system savvy guy.  Anyway I looked some more at the MyMix website.  One of their sample configurations pretty much matches what I have in mind for us, but it does as you noted require a managed switch and 1gb connnection.  Is that still standard Cat5 cable?

index.php/fa/553/0/

The Roland system would be much more flexible I am sure.  It looks like that would easily run us around $20,000 or more for a system with 10 mix positions.  I think a MyMix system of the same general proportions would be around $10,000 probably.

We'll know more once we put hands on the MyMix install at a local church and talk through it with the local dealer (he also carries Aviom and Roland BTW).

Take care,
Loren Jones
Loren Jones

Frank DeWitt

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2011, 09:28:00 PM »

lorenjones wrote on Sat, 15 January 2011 20:15

Lee,

The Roland system would be much more flexible I am sure.  It looks like that would easily run us around $20,000 or more for a system with 10 mix positions.  I think a MyMix system of the same general proportions would be around $10,000 probably.

We'll know more once we put hands on the MyMix install at a local church and talk through it with the local dealer (he also carries Aviom and Roland BTW).

Take care,
Loren Jones

Wow.  I am glad you have the money and it looks like a good system.  I thank God there are much less expensive personal monitor systems for churches with smaller budgets.

Frank

Kent Thompson

• http://www.kentssongs.com
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2011, 11:22:17 PM »

Lee Buckalew wrote on Sat, 15 January 2011 14:27

Kent,
If you are referring to me, I am not a dealer for anything.  My company provides design, consultation and training.  At times we also provide brokerage services.

As far as interfacing goes, the Roland does not require "A bunch of extra equipment", it can interface to any MADI interface via the S-MADI interface.  The I Live T can utilize the M-MADI as an output card.

AVIOM ca not take any connection type except A-Net.  They do make their own A to D converters to get into the A-Net format or you can utilize an A-Net card as an output from various digital mixers.  Perhaps this would also be "A bunch of extra equipment".

I do not know enough about MyMix to comment.  I did not see any notes about a direct digital input capability, only analogue.

His,
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

No it was someone else from a different forums that's why I used the qualifier, and yes I forgot about the new madi interface for Roland. iLive has an A-Net card that includes the hearback connections and adat as well so its digital for both aviom and hearback.

lorenjones

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2011, 04:46:07 PM »

Well I agree with you it is expensive. I would rather see if some professional training for our volunteer crew wouldn't solve the perceived problems and save a bunch of money. If we do go with mymix the sale if our current monitor desk should offset a majority of the cost.

Thanks,
Loren
Loren Jones

Lee Buckalew

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2011, 08:07:22 PM »

It's still far less than 10 decent, let alone great, monitors, 10 good channels of amps, 10 channels of EQ (or speaker processing) and a monitor desk.

His,
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

lorenjones

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2011, 08:40:01 PM »

That's for sure.  I hope our Soundcraft SM20 will sell for close to enough to cover the entire cost.  Just need to find the right buyer I guess.
Loren Jones

Timothy C. Lee

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2011, 07:23:32 PM »

Just my 2 cents on the earbuds...I have always considered earbuds to be something the musician should buy.  The idea of people sharing things put in their ears is a bit weird for my taste.  Just as a guitar player buys strings for their guitar, a player should invest in their own IEM earbuds.  It might be hard for a church musician to fork over for a good IEM system, but they can at least budget for a good set of earbuds.  This way they will most likely take more care of them as well.  Every church I've been in has a pile of broken headphones...I would assume there is also a small pile of broken earbuds as well.

Tim

Josh Bartunek

• http://www.mymixaudio.com
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2011, 08:25:07 AM »

Hi everyone,
I just wanted to make myself available for any questions regarding the myMix system. More specifically, I want to clear up any misunderstanding regarding functionality. Like a lot of networked systems, channels on a myMix system travel in pairs. Those pairs can be configured as dual mono or stereo. The number of channel pairs available on a myMix system is theoretically equivalent to the number of multi-cast groups the Ethernet switch can handle. The Cisco switches that we advocate can handle 256 groups. We haven't tested 256, however, we have tested up to 40 pairs on the network with no problems. You can mix 8 pairs on each myMix (configured as dual mono or stereo). The 8 pairs that one myMix selects on the network can be completely different from another myMix.
For instance, if you have 24 channels coming from the stage, you could have all of those as direct outputs from the console into two IEX-16L boxes. That leaves 8 more channels into which you could send 4 stereo submixes from FOH. Those could be drums, vocals, guitars, keyboards, etc. The drummer could select all of his drum mics, and grab vocal and guitar submixes. The vocalists could select the drum submixes and all of the vocal mics, etc.
We really designed the myMix system from the point of view of musicians - names not numbers, intuitive user interface, multi-track recording to SD card. In my very humble opinion, other systems on the market were designed by engineers for engineers. One of the first compliments we get on our system is that musicians can easily begin using it in a matter of minutes. That is key to keeping them in the creative state of mind (which is where they are most comfortable). After all, if it wasn't for musicians none of the engineers in this business would have a job. Somehow, somewhere, musicians became the problem when in reality they are the sole reason for the our existence. But I digress...
Please let me know if anyone has questions.

Josh Bartunek
Movek LLC
www.mymixaudio.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2011, 08:25:07 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.