ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recording to CD for quick distribution  (Read 12785 times)

Justin Russell

• http://www.livingwordcc.com
Recording to CD for quick distribution
« on: February 07, 2011, 07:12:47 PM »

Hello all - I'm looking for a solution to a challenge I have come up against as the Media Director of a church.

Often in our services, the Pastor will pray for someone, or speak a word of encouragement, etc. Up to now we have always recorded those "personal words" to cassette tapes, and given them to each person as a gift.

We have a dual well cassette recorder that enables us to quickly switch tapes if there is more than one prayer close together (each person gets a tape with only their prayer on it), which happens quite frequently. This has been a great system, since the tapes are instantly ready and able to be handed out directly following the service.

The problem we are finding now is that more and more people do not have a cassette player anymore, and therefore can't listen to their tapes. We are wanting to upgrade this whole process to use CDs instead. We already record directly to CD for our main sermon recordings, so I am familiar with the equipment and process of recording to CD.

Here's the problem: When recording to CD, each disk must be "finalized", or "closed' before it can be used on a CD player. On our current CD recorder (Tascam 302 mkII), this process takes over 1 minute, so there is no way to quickly switch to another disk. By the time the current disk is finalized, ejected, labelled, and a new disk loaded, and the recorder reads and confirms a blank disk, probably 2 min is gone, and the prayer has not gotten recorded for the next person.

The solution I have come up with so far (but not put into practice) is to use a dual disk recorder, like the Microboards Copywriter Live, as a dedicated machine for this use, so we can still use our current CD recorder for the sermon recordings, as these scenarios sometimes happen at the same time (sermon & personal prayer) but still have the capability to quickly switch between 2 disks, without missing anything. We currently use a Copywriter for a different application, and the switch between disks is instant once you push the disk change button.

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced a similar situation, and what did you do, or does anyone have any suggestions for this scenario?

I would like to get as much insight and input as possible before paying $1400 for 2 machines

Thanks very much!!

Justin

Tom Young

Re: Recording to CD for quick distribution
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 06:41:27 PM »

Justin-

I recommend that you post this over in the new Church Sound forum.

No one "plays" here much anymore, as it is scheduled to be closed shortly.
Tom Young, Church Sound section moderator
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
Tel: 203.888.6217
Email: dbspl@earthlink.net
www.dbspl.com

Justin Russell

• http://www.livingwordcc.com
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 06:47:36 PM »

Thanks - I'll do that.

Justin

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 06:47:36 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.