ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: I need the NEMA #  (Read 11888 times)

Gene Hardage

• SarasotaSlim.com
I need the NEMA #
« on: January 13, 2011, 03:09:20 PM »

Here I am again feeling dumb because another electrician asked me for a specific part #.  We have another event planned and the local electrical supplier is renting a large generator to the client and wants to know what kind of outlets to provide for us and I quote "I need the NEMA # such as L6-50"   I can never remember the NEMA # of the ever popular Hubble twist lock connector that most of us use on the typical 6/4 SO cable.  Here is a pic lifted from the Motion Labs site.

Do these connectors have a NEMA #?

James A. Griffin

Re: I need the NEMA #
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 07:12:32 PM »

I don't know if it's an official Nema #, but the common designation is CS-6365 for the male,
CS-6364 for female.    You can google it and find a lot of suppliers who sell a Marinco version for about $30.

CS = California Standard
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Bennett Prescott

• This text is personal!
    • Bennett Prescott Dot Com
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 07:46:26 PM »

Gene, I don't think that connector has a NEMA number, either.
-- Bennett Prescott
Sales & Operations Director
B&C Speakers NA
Cell: +1 (518) 488-7190

Royce Covington

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 04:37:17 AM »

yes, it does have a NEMA number...

L14-50  =  3-pole 4-wire 125/250V 50A locking devices

L14-50R  =  receptacle

L14-50P  =  plug

R~
"If you love what you do, you'll never work another day in your life..."

- Confucius

Gene Hardage

• SarasotaSlim.com
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 09:15:56 AM »

L14-50R  =  receptacle

L14-50P  =  plug

R~

Electrical Suppliers often take pride in making things complicated and I'm sure they chuckle amongst themselves when we leave.   Googling those numbers can take you to many sites with conflicting drawings associated with those numbers mentioned.  Mr. Electrical Man says that every plug/receptical has a NEMA # by law.   So even though I have emailed them a hi-rez photo of all my various tails - plugs - adapters - etc. they still need a NEMA #.  For now we've settled on a 50 amp range plug. 

Tim Tyler

• Richmond, Va USA
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 11:23:05 AM »

Gene -

James G nailed it.  Google the #s & make your choice.

L14-50 is a different animal, not what you have in your pic.

Prices for these can vary widely, your local electrical supply house may or may not have great prices, but should certainly know what you're looking for.

-Tim T

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 11:36:30 AM »

Electrical Suppliers often take pride in making things complicated and I'm sure they chuckle amongst themselves when we leave.   Googling those numbers can take you to many sites with conflicting drawings associated with those numbers mentioned.  Mr. Electrical Man says that every plug/receptical has a NEMA # by law.   So even though I have emailed them a hi-rez photo of all my various tails - plugs - adapters - etc. they still need a NEMA #.  For now we've settled on a 50 amp range plug. 
Well, the 50 amp range plug does have a NEMA number.
I know of no law that requires NEMA numbers for all connectors.  My Hubbble Chart
 https://www.hubbellnet.com/max_htm/tech_stuff/NEMA/back.html#TOP
shows a section of "Non NEMA" connectors. However, that is not to say that for certain types of installation they are not required - residential for example.
I have never found a CS connector with a NEMA number.
My electrical supply will happily look them up as CS connectors. Perhaps you need to check in with another supplier?
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Vinny DAgostino

• Warwick, RI
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 01:03:36 PM »

Those are Non-Nema.
They are "California Style" CS locking plugs and connectors.

Royce Covington

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 08:37:35 PM »

it's relatively easy to understand the confusion considering there are so many variables involved;  locking, non-locking, voltage, ampacity, etc.

my bad, i based my previous post on your statement, "typical 6/4 cable use" rather than the actual image provided.  the most common application that i see for 6/4 is 50A 125/250V, for rac-pacs, spider boxes, etc.   

upon further examination, i see that the connector in the image is actually the 50A 250V 3Ø California Standard Series.
in which case, are non-nema and the model numbers are as follows:
CS8364C connector, CS8365C plug, CS8369 receptacle

R~

"If you love what you do, you'll never work another day in your life..."

- Confucius

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 02:31:20 AM »

L14-50R  =  receptacle

L14-50P  =  plug

R~

The picture Gene showed is NOT an L14-50.

{edit} Fuck I hate flat view.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 02:31:20 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 21 queries.