ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: UPS for video projectors  (Read 14450 times)

Stuart Buchanan

UPS for video projectors
« on: October 28, 2010, 06:43:53 PM »

Hi,

Last sunday morning we had something trip the earth on the electrical circuit part way through the service and all the power went down for a minute or so while we got to the fuse box and flicked it back on. No idea what did it and that's in the hands of a member who's an electrician.

My main concern was our projectors, we have two.  Even after the power was switched back on both projectors took a few minutes to spring back to life, I was worried they'd died, but obviously just taking time to cool down before coming back on.  I'm aware that switching them off without powering down properly can cause the lamp to blow and I was thinking that a UPS for each projector would give a bit of breathing space to power them down if it were to happen again.

Is it possible to power data projectors through a UPS? they'd need one each as they're at different sides of the sanctuary.  What kind of VA value would I need? I'm in the UK so 240V and according to the manual they use 292W in normal lamp mode. Projectors are NEC LT380's, about 5 years old but with less than 1000 hours use each.

Thanks,
Stuart

Justin Langman

Re: UPS for video projectors
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 06:38:29 AM »

Our UPS saved us this past Sunday!

Dropped power for only about 5 seconds, which would have been several minutes without UPS'.

I've got a 1500VA on our two projectors, and the PC. Remember, the projectors aren't much good if the PC has shut down.

You probably want about 600VA per projector? Or there abouts. And it will depend on the computer what you need there.

Arnold B. Krueger

• http://www.pcavtech.com
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 10:36:02 PM »

Stuart Buchanan wrote on Thu, 28 October 2010 23:43

Hi,

Last sunday morning we had something trip the earth on the electrical circuit part way through the service and all the power went down for a minute or so while we got to the fuse box and flicked it back on. No idea what did it and that's in the hands of a member who's an electrician.

My main concern was our projectors, we have two.  Even after the power was switched back on both projectors took a few minutes to spring back to life, I was worried they'd died, but obviously just taking time to cool down before coming back on.  I'm aware that switching them off without powering down properly can cause the lamp to blow and I was thinking that a UPS for each projector would give a bit of breathing space to power them down if it were to happen again.

Is it possible to power data projectors through a UPS? they'd need one each as they're at different sides of the sanctuary.  What kind of VA value would I need? I'm in the UK so 240V and according to the manual they use 292W in normal lamp mode. Projectors are NEC LT380's, about 5 years old but with less than 1000 hours use each.

The other question to answer is what happens when you drop power on a projector accidentially. If you don't do it too many times - no harm done. Don't make a habit of it, though.

Justin Langman

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 06:08:29 AM »

except possibly reduced globe and projector life. Those things run hot, hence they have fans to cool the lamp and the electronics.

Stuart Buchanan

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 04:41:59 PM »

Thanks for the responses, I got a couple of Zigor Ebro 650's.  The power hasn't dropped since I put them in so not tried in anger yet.  Picked the Zigor's based on the 600VA rating which it says are 360W so powerful enough for the projector and it had UK sockets rather than just IEC so no need to rewire anything, and they were cheap 45GBP each.

I'm more concerned with not blowing up the lamps rather than still having an image to project if the power goes, we're using a laptop as our source PC so it would be OK but we'd still lose the image because the vga splitter would lose power.

Thanks,
Stuart

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 04:41:59 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 20 queries.