ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stage snake hookup  (Read 12677 times)

Pastor Brian Lewis

• http://www.newlifeanadarko.com
Stage snake hookup
« on: July 22, 2010, 09:04:49 PM »

I have a older stage snake that was given to our church, but it did not have the box on it.  We ordered the box with XLR connectors but our wire has 2 wires in each jacket and there are 3 connectors on the XLR connectors, does it matter which connector that I would not use?

Brad Weber

Re: Stage snake hookup
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 08:00:49 AM »

Pastor Brian Lewis wrote on Thu, 22 July 2010 21:04

I have a older stage snake that was given to our church, but it did not have the box on it.  We ordered the box with XLR connectors but our wire has 2 wires in each jacket and there are 3 connectors on the XLR connectors, does it matter which connector that I would not use?

Any chance you are not counting the uninsulated drain wire, or shield itself if a braided shield, as one of the wires to connect?

Line level audio connections in a snake from the stage to FOH should be balanced, which means three conductors, while microphone connections require three conductors.    Thus in a stage snake each cable for a mic and line level connection would have two insulated conductors, a drain wire and be shielded.  If a cable has two larger conductors, no drain wire and no shield then it is probably intended for speaker runs.

Brad Weber
muse Audio Video
www.museav.com

Paul Wilson

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 12:55:43 AM »

If there is a shield wiring mesh type stuff that is your ground. You will need that if you want balanced signal. If you don't have that I would recommend getting new wire and making sure you have balanced signal. This will save you a lot of heart ache in the future.

But if you don't care or can't afford it. this is what you do.

Pin 1 is ground. If you don't have a ground, then take a wire and solder it to pin 1 and to a metal chassis of some kind. (On the snake end) The goal is to simply ground the wire so electricity has somewhere to go in case of an overload.

Pin 2 is hot: connect your positive

Pin 3 is cold/neutral: connect your negative

If you are not sure which is which you have to look at the other end of the cable to see which wires are soldered onto pin 2 and 3. as long as they are the same on both ends you should be fine.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 12:55:43 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.