ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL CBT 70J  (Read 75981 times)

David Sanchez

JBL CBT 70J
« on: January 26, 2010, 11:57:08 PM »

Has anyone installed and used JBL CBT 70J within a house of worship?  We're looking at different options for a church that we're installing a system for and a pair of CBT 70J's has been considered.  The facility is about 60 feet long (excluding choir loft) with a 40ft width.  The roof is approx 20 feet high.  If adequately positioned, (the church wants them installed in each front corner of alter), would this provide an intelligible speech amplification throughout room?  How high should we mount the speakers?
David Sanchez,
Technical Staff Coordinator

Don Sneed

Re: JBL CBT 70J
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 05:22:58 PM »

Wow david I have a church with the same size in Texa, I too want to know more about these, they seem to be perfect for what I want to do....
Don Sneed
Commercial Sound Services
Texas City, Texas
www.commercialsoundservices.com

Dick Rees

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 05:43:36 PM »

David Sanchez wrote on Tue, 26 January 2010 23:57

Has anyone installed and used JBL CBT 70J within a house of worship?  We're looking at different options for a church that we're installing a system for and a pair of CBT 70J's has been considered.  The facility is about 60 feet long (excluding choir loft) with a 40ft width.  The roof is approx 20 feet high.  If adequately positioned, (the church wants them installed in each front corner of alter), would this provide an intelligible speech amplification throughout room?  How high should we mount the speakers?

David....

Please provide more information on the configuration of the room.  It is necessary to understand not only the overall dimensions, but also the floor plan, any variations in height, any beams or flat surfaces such as the front of a balcony, etc. to begin to get an idea of placement.

I, too, am very interested in those speakers.  I suspect that with their wide coverage angle that you might also want to consider a single, central deployment.  But as I said, much more specific information is required.

DR

Tom Young

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 08:47:42 PM »

I have 3 pending church projects where I will be using CBT 70J speakers with the extender box. These rooms are larger than your space and very live, so I need the additional LF pattern control, horsepower and bandwidth.

I demoed these, aong with the 100LA, a few months ago and was VERY impressed. For what they cost, they offer a lot of bang for the buck plus some versatility.

You can download the CBT array calculator from the JBL Pro website and probably get a good idea of how hight to hang them.
Tom Young, Church Sound section moderator
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
Tel: 203.888.6217
Email: dbspl@earthlink.net
www.dbspl.com

Brad Weber

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 12:21:03 PM »

Dick Rees wrote on Mon, 24 January 2011 17:43

I suspect that with their wide coverage angle that you might also want to consider a single, central deployment.  But as I said, much more specific information is required.

Based on the product data, a very wide horizontal pattern up until around 3-4kHz.  They also have a somewhat limited output and low frequency response, especially without the extender, probably not an issue with speech or much acoustic music but perhaps something to consider if it's a contemporary service.  So the space and application could be very important.

You mentioned that you are installing the system for a church.  If you are being paid to design and install the system then asking for people's opinion about a product or if what you plan looks viable seems reasonable but asking for information like would it be intelligible or what height to mount the speakers may be a bit inappropriate.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video
www.museav.com

Dick Rees

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 12:40:00 PM »

It is always dangerous to take your deployment options from a customer who wants them to "look good" or not be noticeable. It should be done right or not at all.  Like Brad implies, if you're asking such questions you are probably not experienced enough to guide them through the project successfully.

Sad but true....

Dennis Bledsoe

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 08:01:56 PM »

Yes we have install 5 of the 70 series we use them in a fan position to help with dispersion and with the install we were able to fulfill those needs of the church we will continue to use as a line a ray speakerindex.php/fa/554/0/

Brad Weber

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 07:33:46 AM »

Dennis Bledsoe wrote on Thu, 10 February 2011 20:01

Yes we have install 5 of the 70 series we use them in a fan position to help with dispersion and with the install we were able to fulfill those needs of the church we will continue to use as a line a ray speakerindex.php/fa/554/0/

With the associated nominal 150 degree horizontal beamwidth, and probably that or greater up to 6kHz, that is a rather unusual deployment.  Based on the mounting height and aiming, I also assume those are being run in the 'broad' mode with a nominal 45 degree vertical pattern rather than the 'narrow' mode.  Seriously, based solely on the picture I'd be curious to as to how it would sound if you ran just the one center box.

Brad Weber
muse Audio Video
www.museav.com

Dick Rees

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 10:12:52 AM »

1.  Try re-sizing your pictures so they don't bloat the thread.

2.  This is definitely NOT how such speakers should be deployed.  The multiple pattern overlap is truly the wrong way to go.

Don Sneed

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 10:45:12 AM »

So Dennis what did it sound like when you got through....I can see Brads point of view with the 150 degrees hort. & overlapping, did you use a sub with this? How was the music & speaking? The specs for this speaker is great with the extended low cabinet, being low profile I can hide easily or blend with the decor. Do not know any church using these, I am a sound contractor, not a JBL dealer so getting a demo would be out of the question, I have to rely on you guys input & the specs sheet. I am interested in the sound output clarity for both speech & music, I know the vert & hort is good & will fit my needs. Thanks for your input...

Don Sneed
Texas City, Texas
Don Sneed
Texas City, Texas

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 10:45:12 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 18 queries.