ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: connections of eq x-over and amps  (Read 6182 times)

John Rosborough

• Learn to listen so you can listen and learn!
connections of eq x-over and amps
« on: April 20, 2011, 01:25:15 PM »

It's been a while since I was in these forums last time. Anyway...

I am in the process of purchasing live sound equipment for my church outside rally’s and concerts. Most of the events will be of a moderate size, up to 200 people, but I anticipate future growth up to 500 – 600 people. I am budgeted to get a Mackie 1604, 2 DBX 1231 31 band EQ (one for house and one for monitors), DBX 223S x-overs, some entry level Yamaha’s: dual subs, CW218 @ 1200 watt program, and dual 15’s, C215 @ 1000 watt program. Both speakers will be powered by either a QSC RMX 5050 or Crown XTi 6002. I plan on going out 3 way mono from my x-over.

Now here’s my question. How would you connect from the EQ to the x-over, then to the amps if I want to feed a signal to my subs, mids, and highs?

John R.
Minister John

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: connections of eq x-over and amps
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 01:29:55 PM »

I am in the process of purchasing live sound equipment for my church outside rally’s and concerts. Most of the events will be of a moderate size, up to 200 people, but I anticipate future growth up to 500 – 600 people. I am budgeted to get a Mackie 1604, 2 DBX 1231 31 band EQ (one for house and one for monitors), DBX 223S x-overs, some entry level Yamaha’s: dual subs, CW218 @ 1200 watt program, and dual 15’s, C215 @ 1000 watt program. Both speakers will be powered by either a QSC RMX 5050 or Crown XTi 6002. I plan on going out 3 way mono from my x-over.

Now here’s my question. How would you connect from the EQ to the x-over, then to the amps if I want to feed a signal to my subs, mids, and highs?

John R.

First of all I'd recommend using parametric EQ's rather than graphics for the mains and monitors.   Other than that, you have the proper order already stated.  Take a look at the manual for the crossover and it will show you the wiring from it to the amps and speakers.

OR....you could combine the mains EQ/crossover into one unit with a Driverack and use a parametric EQ on the monitors and be done with it.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 01:31:34 PM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

John Rosborough

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 01:41:39 PM »

OR....you could combine the mains EQ/crossover into one unit with a Driverack and use a parametric EQ on the monitors and be done with it.

I heard from multiple sources that the driverack caused more problems than solved. I never used one though. What has been your experience with one?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 01:44:37 PM by John Rosborough »
Minister John

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 02:01:31 PM »

I heard from multiple sources that the driverack caused more problems than solved. I never used one though. What has been your experience with one?

That can indeed be true.  There are other options in that area but they are more expensive.  Properly set up, the Driverack should work for you.  The PA model would be the bottom line.  I suspect that problems with any piece of equipment are just as likely to be from a less than full understanding of the functionality and application of the piece or unrealistic expectations.  Many of the experienced systems people here and elsewhere do find them to be usable so I have softened my criticism of them over time.

The reason I mention them at all is that they can provide the cross-over you need as well as parametric EQ to optimize the system.  You will also get graphic EQ in the package, but over time I have come to the realization that GEQ is much less useful than PEQ and is often over-rated as a system tool. 

If you're asking questions like you have here it seems that you are starting out to learn quite a bit regarding system configuration and operation.  You'll have to ask more questions along the way and learn to properly use whatever gear you settle on.  Having a DSP such as the DRPA or some similar unit is coming to be the standard and will in the end give  better results than the old GEQ/X-over we all came up with.

Good luck.   
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

John Rosborough

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 02:14:29 PM »

Great stuff! Dick R. thanks for the help!
Minister John

Chase Livingston

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 11:05:55 AM »

Just saw this thread, and would like to point out that when setting your crossover, make sure you're getting signal to the correct amps for your highs and lows, so you don't accidentally blow anything.
Chase
@ChaseLivingston

Billy Wood

• Audio Visual Professional Group
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 07:29:45 PM »

John R.

I believe Dick has a very good point.  One thing you might like to look at is other vendors other that DBX.  We have found that the VTC dlms4080 is a very good product for a lot smaller price tag.  It is 4in/8out and has all the PEQ's and xover you could want.  It is distributed by Yorkville out of their touring line.

http://www.vtcproaudio.com/dlms4080.html
Billy Wood
www.avprogroup.com
The Woodlands, TX

Arnold B. Krueger

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 04:39:36 PM »

If you buy the Crown XTI amp, you should be aware that there are already 2 very competent DSP-based graphic eqs and 2 each 6 band full parametric eqs inside the box. There are also crossovers, limiters, & etc.

Exploiting the DSP in the Crown XTI amps works as follows. Obtain a PC-comptible (preferably) laptop running Windows XP, Vista, or 7. Dowload DotNet 3.5 from Micorsoft and Band Manager from Crown's or Harman's web site (both free). Install software and connect USB cable to amp. Start Band Manager which finds the amp and puts up an Amp  configuration menu. When you are done you might want to set the check box that disables the front panel DSP controls on the amp.

IME, no cables or physcal hook up required with the Xti amps.  I configured an XTi 1000 and a pair of EV ZX-1s in less than an hour earlier this week.

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 10:58:41 PM »

The equipment manuals should answer your questions.

Don't get the Mackie, get an Allen & Heath MixWiz.  You'll lose the subgroups, but you'll have a MUCH better mixer.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 10:58:41 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.