ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Low profile talkback monitor on the podium  (Read 5243 times)

[email protected]

• Traveling Monkey Sound
Low profile talkback monitor on the podium
« on: April 20, 2011, 12:56:42 PM »

Wouldn't it be great to have a tiny speaker on the podium to ask the speaker to approach the mic, or stop swallowing the thing? I'm thinking of something really small, like the size of an imp DI, maybe a portable ipod speaker would do. Just enough to address that one person and not by heard by the front few rows in a ballroom.

Has anyone here implemented something like this?
Anything that makes a noise is satisfactory to a crowd.

~Charles Dickens

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Low profile talkback monitor on the podium
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 01:15:54 PM »

Wouldn't it be great to have a tiny speaker on the podium to ask the speaker to approach the mic, or stop swallowing the thing? I'm thinking of something really small, like the size of an imp DI, maybe a portable ipod speaker would do. Just enough to address that one person and not by heard by the front few rows in a ballroom.

No.  I try to speak with those who will be using the mic beforehand as well as placing a pictograph on the lectern itself.  Beyond this, any attempt at correcting them can be very disruptive to their speaking and will in most instances constitute more of a distraction than their lack of technique.  You do your best to prep them, but after that it is really up to them and continuing to "bird dog" them will confuse and frustrate them.

I have found that the solution is to have the best possible microphone(s) on the lectern and sufficient PEQ to get the most headroom. 

« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 01:24:29 PM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Kellen Tyburski

• Kellen Tyburski | Audio Engineering
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 08:40:55 PM »

Yeah, it would be cool. But it wouldn't flyin in most lectern situations.
I agree with the above post: Make sure to have the right size length on your gooseneck type mic if you are using one! (i like 12 inches, instead of 18). Another thing to try is just use an sm58 clipped to a 12-14 inch gooseneck.  This mic doesn't sound so bad when Mr. CEO puts it in his mouth.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 09:28:34 PM by Kellen Tyburski »
KT

Phil Hornung

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 09:30:07 PM »

No.  I try to speak with those who will be using the mic beforehand as well as placing a pictograph on the lectern itself.  Beyond this, any attempt at correcting them can be very disruptive to their speaking and will in most instances constitute more of a distraction than their lack of technique.  You do your best to prep them, but after that it is really up to them and continuing to "bird dog" them will confuse and frustrate them.

I have found that the solution is to have the best possible microphone(s) on the lectern and sufficient PEQ to get the most headroom. 

I agree with this assessment of the situation, however if you still want a speaker this is the one that can do it.

http://www.k-array.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=214&Itemid=376&lang=en

Just make sure that if you have the mic way up in the mix - because your presenter is far off it - to duck it out of the mix before you scold the presenter. Otherwise the whole audience will likely hear you!

The other problem is that this thing is so small, your presenter just might put his speech down on top of it rendering it nearly useless.  ::)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 09:30:07 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.