ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some Adivce on Infrared Hearing Assistance Systems  (Read 2726 times)

Ken Jacob

Some Adivce on Infrared Hearing Assistance Systems
« on: May 02, 2008, 11:01:32 AM »

Hi Folks,

My first post.

A world famous lecturer has asked me if folks that wear hearing aids accept and like hearing assistance systems. We've both heard mixed things about them.

This issue for him is this: he finds the high-pitched feedback from high-gain hearing aids very distracting for him and his audiences, especially considering his lectures are all day affairs.

He wonders if he brought a hearing assistance system as part of the sound system he tours with, the problem might go away because those with hearing aids would welcome the technology.

Any advice and guidance here would be greatly appreciated.

With best regards,

Ken

Jeff Ekstrand

Re: Some Adivce on Infrared Hearing Assistance Systems
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 11:34:59 AM »

I love world famous lecturers...

Anyway, about the infrared systems. I'm a little wary to recommend this to a traveling/touring "act." When installed properly in the right room, the infrared systems work GREAT, and can provide better audio than RF systems. However, not knowing the layout of every room, or not being able to guarantee adequate positioning of the transmitters makes it hard to guarantee line-of-site transmission for these systems.

As for the idea of hearing assist systems for folks with hearing aids, I've had good experiences in the church world. However, I'm also not going around asking the folks with hearing aids what they think of the hearing assist system at their church. It's just not high on my R&D list of priorities. Smile

If I were this traveling, world famous lecturer, I would take every step I can afford to ensure my comfort, and the comfort of the listeners. If the lecturer is distracted by the feedback of hearing aids, then it sounds like a good decision. Likewise, if the people with hearing aids have to turn-up the volume loud enough that it's feeding back, perhaps the sound reinforcement is inadequate in volume, in which case a hearing assist system will likely solve the problem.

If it's a big enough problem, and the lecturer can afford the expense, then it's really a no-brainer. The same as if they were having a bad experience with cheap microphones, the obvious solution would be to purchase one that travels with them, and is only used by them.
Jeff Ekstrand

Technical Director, North Shore Campus
Willow Creek Community Church
Northfield, IL

David Urban

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 12:20:21 PM »

We use a RF hearing assisted system at our church (Listen) and I have checked with the parishioners who use them and they really appreciate them. I have had only one instance in 3 years of hearing aid feedback, but it wasn't due to the assisted listening system it was due to the fact that the person was not using the assisted listening system.  
David Urban
1st Presbyterian Church, Evanston, IL

Brad Weber

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 12:33:29 PM »

I think he might want to have an assistive listening system regardless of the hearing aid feedback issue as these systems are intended to assist those with varying degrees of impairment and would seem to be a way of serving his audience, I'm sort of surprised that this has not come up as an issue.

Using an ALS receiver is very much a personal issue.  Many people who may benefit from them will not use them due to how this use might be perceived.  Even those with greater impairment and hearing aids may be hesitant, their hearing aid may not be readily apparent but using an ALS receiver may be.  Then there is obtaining and returning the receiver and the time and effort that entails.  Induction loop systems avoid some of these issues as they direct broadcast to those with hearing aids, but as they are basically a 'leaky coax' loop around the audience area that radiates RF, IL systems can be difficult to implement in existing spaces and are usually impractical for portable use.

For IR and RF systems, listeners with hearing aids typically do not use headphones or other transducers with ALS (Assistive Listening System) receivers but rather a "T" coil loop that hangs around their neck and broadcasts a signal to their hearing aid, sort of a 'personal' version of the induction loop approach.

The audio quality of RF systems has improved and RF is typically the easiest, and usually lowest cost, approach to implement for both portable and installed applications.  There are also the most options for products.

Another aspect to possibly consider is language interpretation.  Many people use multiple channel RF or IR systems for both ALS and interpretation, the listener can tune their receiver to the original presentation or a transmission from an interpreter.  I don't know your audience, but this is an increasingly common practice and could affect the justification for an ALS system as well as the equipment used.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video
www.museav.com

Ken Jacob

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 02:57:33 PM »

Thank you all who have replied to my message. It is greatly appreciated.

What manufacturers of RF assisted listening systems are most highly respected?

Ken

Brad Weber

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 04:26:42 PM »

My personal preference is Listen Technologies as they offer a wide range of products and great support.  Other brands that seem to be well respected include Williams, Telex and Gentner (still offering some of the same models offered before Russ Gentner and crew left years ago to form Listen).
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video
www.museav.com

Tom Young

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2008, 07:34:17 AM »

My personal favorite is Listen Technologies. I like everything about them. The design is top notch, build quality is great, cost is reasonable, tech support is exceptional, etc. They offer both RF and IR systems.

www.listentech.com

Cardone-Solomon is their northeastern US rep. Michael Solomon is the New England guy.

csa.m.solomon@erols.com

or:

(631) 261-9025
Tom Young, Church Sound section moderator
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
Tel: 203.888.6217
Email: dbspl@earthlink.net
www.dbspl.com

Ken Jacob

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 11:15:03 AM »

Hi Folks,

Thanks very much for your replies.

I will check them out.

My best regards,

Ken

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 11:15:03 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.