ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Single SRX718S  (Read 8313 times)

Paul Tastweigh

Single SRX718S
« on: April 15, 2011, 05:45:04 PM »

I everyone this is my first post of hopefully many. I know this sub has been discussed to death on here but I couldn't find answers that were specific enough to my situation.

I'm in a band we have electronic samples, drums etc... As well as a live drummer. We would like a sub to run our electronic percussion through to give us more bottom end. We would just use the sub for practice and at small clubs were the venue only has small PA's with no subs. These place would have less than 100 people, just small bars where only the vocals and samples go through the PA

Do you think a single SRX718S would keep up with an unmic'd drummer? We are not like a heavy band. The drummer does not hit super hard. We of course also want the sound to reach out into the room. It doesn't have to knock people over but it should be obviuos that a good amount of bass is being produced.

We have an RMX 1450 we planned to run bridged into the SRX718S does that seem like the right amount of power? LP crossover around 85-90Hz.

We are also considering a UCS1. How loud are those if just using one.

Jonathan Goodall

• New Zealand
Re: Single SRX718S
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 01:28:39 AM »

You will most likely find that you won't get a response until you put your full name up.

Cheers

alfredo cannon

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 02:20:03 AM »

Go to Guitar Center and buy a cheap bass cab. Galien Krueger 410 or something. Then get a cheap little Behringer mixer (2 channels, something small). You already have the amp. Test the cab out before you buy it. See if it's loud enough. Don't buy the sub. You need sub and full range.

Bob Kenton

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 03:11:41 PM »

I use a single SRX718 quite often. A couple of days ago I set up for a 3pc live band, drums, electric, acoustic guitars and bass. The drummer and the bass player both had some sort of midi samplers they used as effects. Everything was mic'ed or DI'ed.
Small room, about 75 peepers and not so loud. I only feed the sub a single side of a PLX3402 for a little bottom end.

I dont think you will have any problems getting what you ask for out of the 718. Great small sub thats easy to move around.

Paul Tastweigh

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 04:51:59 PM »

I use a single SRX718 quite often. A couple of days ago I set up for a 3pc live band, drums, electric, acoustic guitars and bass. The drummer and the bass player both had some sort of midi samplers they used as effects. Everything was mic'ed or DI'ed.
Small room, about 75 peepers and not so loud. I only feed the sub a single side of a PLX3402 for a little bottom end.

I dont think you will have any problems getting what you ask for out of the 718. Great small sub thats easy to move around.

Thanks for the reply Bob. Looks like you were sending similar wattage to what we would expect out of our bridged RMX1450 so its a pretty good comparison.

Go to Guitar Center and buy a cheap bass cab. Galien Krueger 410 or something. Then get a cheap little Behringer mixer (2 channels, something small). You already have the amp. Test the cab out before you buy it. See if it's loud enough. Don't buy the sub. You need sub and full range.

We have actually tried something like this with a spare bass cab we have. It seemed as though the quality of the sound was not as high as we would have liked. Also I should be a bit more specific we will be sending the highpass signal out of our crossover to our pa at practice and the clubs pa at shows(the ones we bring the sub too). So we will have the full range taken care of we just want some low extension and the lows to hit a little harder.

Bob Kenton

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 09:29:16 PM »

Another benefit using a sub over a bass guitar cab is if you ever want to mic the kick drum for larger venues.

Paul Tastweigh

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 05:31:52 PM »

Now a pair of JBL SR-4718x subs have popped up locally for $800/pair. Apparently they are essentially in new condition. This is about the cost of one new srx718s. My initial inclination is to jump on these but I would like to know if anyone has compared the SRX718s with these older models. I did some searching but didn't find direct comparisons.

One downside is I might need to sell off the RMX 1450 because it would be a little awkward to drive one or both of these subs with it.

RMX 1450

stereo

8ohm 260W
4ohm 400W
2ohm 700W

bridged

8ohm 800watt
4ohm 1400watt

JBL SR4718x

4ohm
600W/1200W/2400W
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 05:35:38 PM by Paul Tastweigh »

Rob Truesdell

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 11:56:00 PM »

I havent compared them side by side but I have heard the 4718's and the 4719's. They are a bit larger in size and weight but sound awesome. I wouldnt have any issues with them outside of the physical properties (compared to the 718).

Brian Wynn

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 11:03:00 AM »

This is the most uneducated response I have ever seen!!!

Chris Gruber

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 02:34:09 PM »

This is the most uneducated response I have ever seen!!!

+1 you aren't kidding.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 02:34:09 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.