ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Church and youth sound issues  (Read 3146 times)

Aaron McQueen

Re: Church and youth sound issues
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2006, 07:41:11 PM »

I'm personally not a big fan of a powered mixer.  Powered speakers however make more sense to me.  Our church is looking for a small portable system.  We are considering the Yorkville NX25P's.  The are powered 12's that can be used as mains or monitors.  I went to listen to them yesterday, and they sound great.  The price is really great too.   This may be another option for you, check them out.

Also on you limited budget you can do much better than Guitar Center on prices.  Do research, no what you what and shop around.
Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God - Romans 10:17 NKJV

Tony Mah

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2006, 07:27:33 PM »

Munyoki,

The guitar center package is typical of how a young band with little money would buy a sound system. They want to get as many features as possible for the lowest cost to meet current perceived needs.

My suggestion for 2K is that you purchase 4 used JBL EON G1 speakers from ebay and spend the rest of the money on a new mixers. If you want quality a portable system that is flexible and easy to use, biamped active plastic speakers are the way to go. JBL sold over a million of them.    

Tony

Darrel Steinhour

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2006, 03:10:56 PM »

Munyoki,
All these guys are giving you great advice for gear, but don't limit yourself to the $$$ that your church has given you.  There are more funds available in your local congregation than what comes out of the budget.

Look around and see if you can find a member who is supportive of your youth group AND has some extra cash.  They're there... believe me, and they're happy to do something for you if you can show them the need.

Don't limit God by limiting your youth group.  As soon as you have a decent sound system for your student band, you'll have a bigger youth group, so you'll need more gear.  Keep that in mind.

I'm telling you this because I'm trying to dig OUR youth group out of the hole that we dug for ourselves by buying/using sub-grade and donated gear without planning for the future.

Last advice:  Buy used
DS

Brad Weber

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2006, 03:52:38 PM »

Quote:

My suggestion for 2K is that you purchase 4 used JBL EON G1 speakers from ebay and spend the rest of the money on a new mixers. If you want quality a portable system that is flexible and easy to use, biamped active plastic speakers are the way to go. JBL sold over a million of them.
The EONs are 90x60 speakers and this is a 15'x30' room, just curious as to why four boxes?  Just seems likely to cause more problems than benefits compared to having just two boxes.

Munyoki,

Apparently you already have mics, DI boxes, miscellaneous cables, monitor speakers and amps, etc.  So all you really need is 1) main speakers, 2) speaker stands, 3) speaker cables, 4) amp for main speakers (or powered speakers), and 5) a mixer with a minimum 10 mic/instrument inputs and at least one stereo input.  Some EQ for the main outputs might also be a good idea, probably just a simple stereo graphic.

One concern is that you mentioned having 3 different monitor mixes, for that you need at least 3 aux sends on the mixer, ideally all pre-fade.  You might want to confirm this requirement as it takes you out of some less expensive mixer models including most of those already suggested, which typically have only 2 aux sends.  

Powered speakers might be a good idea for simplicity here, especially as this is semi-portable.  I'm personally not a big fan of the JBL EON's, but nothing particularly wrong with them either.  On the other hand, powered consoles often have functions such as main output EQ built-in.

Using ebay or not for this type of purchase is a personal choice, but depending on where the money is coming from PayPal type payments may not be practical, so definitely check with your church about the viability of any ebay or online purchases of this size, you night have to work with checks.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video
www.museav.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2006, 03:52:38 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.