ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: word clocks live..  (Read 8143 times)

Brian Larson

Re: word clocks live..
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 09:15:56 PM »

Maybe I'm wrong but... If the word clock cable somehow gets disconnected, doesn't that stop all audio flowing through the slave? Or at least make it stutter?

I would be wary of adding any unnecessary connections that could potentially add more problems for an indiscernible increase in sound quality.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 10:13:56 PM »

Maybe I'm wrong but... If the word clock cable somehow gets disconnected, doesn't that stop all audio flowing through the slave? Or at least make it stutter?

I would be wary of adding any unnecessary connections that could potentially add more problems for an indiscernible increase in sound quality.

Loss of digital sync makes for pops and bangs that can be almost as annoying as unplugging a phantom powered mic... but it can only happen with devices having digital interconnections.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2011, 12:31:32 AM »

It was refreshing to see that several respected members of that forum had the balls to claim that they couldn't hear any difference between an internal or external clock.  Sometimes it's easier to pretend that you're blessed with golden ears too. ::)

However, I may have to investigate this further myself.  A friend who is using my LS9 based system next month, requested an external clock after his experience at a festival last week.  Last week, he was using an M7CL for monitors, and claimed that adding an external clock to the console suddenly made the built-in graphic EQs much more responsive for ringing out feedback in the monitor wedges.  AFAIK, the console was not connected digitally to anything else, just analog mics in, and out to analog powered wedges.

Personally, I'm highly skeptical (as was he).  Maybe the system tech also noticed that he hadn't actually inserted the graphics on the outputs, as he was hooking up the external clock (and changed the settings on the config page of the console)?  The system tech also claimed it made "an even bigger difference" for the LS9s, no doubt why I got the request. ???

GTD

In another, more recent thread about external clocking of the M7, I contributed an observation of a BE bringing his own clock to use with our M7.  He wound up not setting the desk for external clocking, so his unit was ignored... all the while telling me how much improvement it was making.

When I pointed it out, he engaged it and waited for me to nod approvingly.  I didn't hear any difference so I didn't nod.  I did ask about the street price of the unit...

I make no Golden Ears claims at all, but I don't advocate spending money on stuff that doesn't make an audible improvement (or at least a difference) in the sound.  That is also why I made the comments in the linked thread.  If the mixerperson thinks that his act sounds better with an external clock on the desk I'll provide what ever he wants so long as I can add it to the bill as a line item.  My opinion doesn't really matter and nobody is served by refutation of his claims.

So if Mr. Chang even thinks adding a Big Ben or a Micro Clock makes his LS/9 sound better, I say "rock on, dude!"

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Doug Chang

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2011, 01:46:17 AM »

Thanks, Tim.  I do believe an external is out of the question.  I think that money would be better, put elsewhere in the rig.  But it cant hurt to play around with some BNC cables!

In another, more recent thread about external clocking of the M7, I contributed an observation of a BE bringing his own clock to use with our M7.  He wound up not setting the desk for external clocking, so his unit was ignored... all the while telling me how much improvement it was making.

When I pointed it out, he engaged it and waited for me to nod approvingly.  I didn't hear any difference so I didn't nod.  I did ask about the street price of the unit...

I make no Golden Ears claims at all, but I don't advocate spending money on stuff that doesn't make an audible improvement (or at least a difference) in the sound.  That is also why I made the comments in the linked thread.  If the mixerperson thinks that his act sounds better with an external clock on the desk I'll provide what ever he wants so long as I can add it to the bill as a line item.  My opinion doesn't really matter and nobody is served by refutation of his claims.

So if Mr. Chang even thinks adding a Big Ben or a Micro Clock makes his LS/9 sound better, I say "rock on, dude!"

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2011, 11:16:52 AM »

Thanks, Tim.  I do believe an external is out of the question.  I think that money would be better, put elsewhere in the rig.  But it cant hurt to play around with some BNC cables!

Correct!

I find it interesting that audio forums get a lot of "what if..." questions that could be explored with some simple experiments and listening.  I encourage your exploration.

As John Roberts often says, I've given up trying to tell folks what they are hearing so if your perception is that external clocks or voodoo chicken bones tossed on the console make an audible improvement, go for it.  Likewise, if you don't find an improvement you can move on.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2011, 11:16:52 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 23 queries.