ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Cabinet  (Read 5018 times)

Nick Bair

Media Cabinet
« on: April 07, 2011, 07:04:40 AM »

I'm looking for some kind of cabinet to house a/v gear in our church lobby. The gear includes an amplifier, front-panel mixer, and CD changer. Obviously I want something with a door (doesn't have to lock). The decorating folks are insistent that it looks like "furniture", not "equipment". And, of course, I am on a small budget as well.

I'd like to find a form factor similar to this one, but available in dark wood.

I know such cabinets exist in the pro audio world, but I am curious about some more creative uses of everyday stuff of which you folks might be aware.

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
Re: Media Cabinet
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 09:18:00 AM »

Get a pair of rack rails and use something you have, some donated or something built from a member.  Be sure to allow for ventilation and load and weight distribution.  You may want to rethink the ability to lock it if you're going to place it in a lobby.  Curious as well as sticky fingers can be a real problem.
For off the shelf Spectrum Industries may have something off the shelf available.  It's not going to be cheap, though.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 09:20:34 AM by Lee Douglas »
This space for rent

Tom Young

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 05:55:52 PM »

I'm looking for some kind of cabinet to house a/v gear in our church lobby. The gear includes an amplifier, front-panel mixer, and CD changer. Obviously I want something with a door (doesn't have to lock). The decorating folks are insistent that it looks like "furniture", not "equipment". And, of course, I am on a small budget as well.

I'd like to find a form factor similar to this one, but available in dark wood.

I know such cabinets exist in the pro audio world, but I am curious about some more creative uses of everyday stuff of which you folks might be aware.

If you can build it or there is someone within the church body who can, I suppose you might save some money. I assume you intend for this to be floor standing. Be sure you put furniture glides on the bottom so it does not mar the floor when it is moved in and out of position. Casters would probably invite folks to move it, which is obviously not wise.

You need louvered vents for convection air flow. You need some space around the power amp. You need enough depth for terminations and wire runs. You need cable openings.

Perhaps you could find something with the right dimensions and that suits everyone's tastes at Ikea. Then add the above features.

Otherwise I think that fabrication and finishing touches will be pretty hard to do cheaply and "right".
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
203-888-6217

Roy Richards

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 11:14:04 AM »

We have a Mid-Atlantic black wood rack that a man in our church built an oak cabinet "sleeve" around. The rack slides in and out for working on it via the nylon skid buttons on the bottom of the rack. Makes the rack twice as thick as usual, but was easy for him to build, since he did cabinetry as his main job.
You could add rack rails to a vanity style cabinet if you can't find a volunteer carpenter.

Nick Bair

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 01:44:51 PM »

We have a Mid-Atlantic black wood rack that a man in our church built an oak cabinet "sleeve" around. The rack slides in and out for working on it via the nylon skid buttons on the bottom of the rack. Makes the rack twice as thick as usual, but was easy for him to build, since he did cabinetry as his main job.
You could add rack rails to a vanity style cabinet if you can't find a volunteer carpenter.

Now that's a really good idea--to build a "shell" around an existing piece. We have some amazing carpenters but I know they are too busy to custom-make an entire piece of furniture. This may be the road we end up taking. Thanks for the idea!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 01:44:51 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 19 queries.