ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Split Drum Mix  (Read 4798 times)

Josh Lyon

Split Drum Mix
« on: April 06, 2011, 04:55:34 PM »

We use aviom mixers for the band at my church so that each musician can customize their mix. We recently purchased a new electronic drum kit - the roland TD-20X as the brain. We purchased this so that I, the mixer, can independently control each instrument. It is split into 5 outputs right now using the direct outs - kick, snake, high hat, toms, cymbals. I feed all these through an aux output to control his in ear mix. It turns out the faders on the TD-20x cannot be bypassed to create, say, a different headphone mix than direct out. If the drummer changes the volume, it changes it in the house as well. No good.

It has been requested that I provide the drummer a way to customize his mix. He is not happy enough with setting his in ear mix during sound check. I'd like the band to be happy, so what can you suggest for giving the drummer that option?

We don't have much money to complete this project, so the cheaper the better. Thanks!

Taylor Phillips

Re: Split Drum Mix
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 05:13:37 PM »

We use aviom mixers for the band at my church so that each musician can customize their mix. We recently purchased a new electronic drum kit - the roland TD-20X as the brain. We purchased this so that I, the mixer, can independently control each instrument. It is split into 5 outputs right now using the direct outs - kick, snake, high hat, toms, cymbals. I feed all these through an aux output to control his in ear mix. It turns out the faders on the TD-20x cannot be bypassed to create, say, a different headphone mix than direct out. If the drummer changes the volume, it changes it in the house as well. No good.

It has been requested that I provide the drummer a way to customize his mix. He is not happy enough with setting his in ear mix during sound check. I'd like the band to be happy, so what can you suggest for giving the drummer that option?

We don't have much money to complete this project, so the cheaper the better. Thanks!
Are you using all 16 Aviom channels?  If you have an extra channel or two, you could give the kick/snare/whatever he's always changing it's own channel and make sure he only adjusts his mix on the Aviom.  You could also split the direct outs from the brain and the Aviom output to small mixer like a Mackie 1202.

Josh Lyon

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 05:27:49 PM »

Are you using all 16 Aviom channels?  If you have an extra channel or two, you could give the kick/snare/whatever he's always changing it's own channel and make sure he only adjusts his mix on the Aviom.  You could also split the direct outs from the brain and the Aviom output to small mixer like a Mackie 1202.

Option 1 isn't really going to work since we're using pretty much every channel on the aviom mixers. I've thought about your second option of splitting the direct outs, but what would be the best way to do that without degrading the signal?

Tom Young

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 06:35:56 PM »

Option 1 isn't really going to work since we're using pretty much every channel on the aviom mixers. I've thought about your second option of splitting the direct outs, but what would be the best way to do that without degrading the signal?

A simple hardwire split (Y) is very likely to work just fine. Signal degradation can occur when you split the signal more than 1-2 times (and there are ways to do this if there are problems by using purpose-built splitters or audio distribution amps) which is not likely to be the case here.
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
203-888-6217

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 06:35:56 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 19 queries.