ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Truss-Top Speaker Adaptors  (Read 1032 times)

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
Re: Truss-Top Speaker Adaptors
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2024, 10:54:15 AM »

Oh, its definitely overkill.   ;)

However, after having an M20 pole cup fail at a gig, I don't trust the straight poles anymore.  The weight of an X40 on top of a straight pole was able to apply enough torque to break a pole cup. Can you imagine with a UPQ?  These truss assemblies feel solid with a UPQ on top of a 900LFC.

That appears to be an axial type failure and not the result of excessive side loading.  Probably dropped onto a fixed speaker pole that bottomed our or "shanked" and the lower supporting structure won the contest.

Scott Helmke

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2024, 12:00:28 PM »

In the picture of the broken pole cup, is that some kind of dual mode cup?  The M20 mounts on my subs are flush with the speaker cabinet such that the bottom of the air-assisted poles that I use make contact with the metal plate of the M20 mount when screwed down tightly.  IOW - there's no "cup" at the bottom, just a solid metal plate.  I've never felt like my speakers were wobbly on my poles.  I agree that the speakers do look cool mounted on the truss!

The Meyer X40 has a regular pole up with an extra hole in the bottom threaded for M20.  The U-bracket comes with a little hole-filler that threads into the bottom of the cup and provides a flush threaded hole for the U-bracket bolt on that side of the speaker.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2024, 01:42:29 PM »

Yeah, the lever arm on M20 and pole cups is scary, when you consider the weight on top.
I ended up making some flanges pressed into my 1 1/2 EMT poles to widen the footprint a bit.
I would think 8" truss would be way strong enough, and not be so bulky looking.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2024, 03:29:45 PM »

That appears to be an axial type failure and not the result of excessive side loading.  Probably dropped onto a fixed speaker pole that bottomed our or "shanked" and the lower supporting structure won the contest.
It could have been direct overload or fatigue from repeated side loading.  The actual failure cross-section is shockingly thin, and one of the reasons I don't like pole cups.  I use them grudgingly.  My flanged poles put the vertical load onto the speaker body instead of the pole cup bottom, and reduces the bending from side loads.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2024, 03:32:18 PM by Dave Garoutte »
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Peter Kowalczyk

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2024, 04:20:31 PM »

Meyer was kind enough to sell me a replacement part.

I believe the pole cup is a Penn Elcom M1557/M20
https://www.penn-elcom.com/us/universal-speaker-mounting-top-hat-m1557-m20

... I've since purchased a few of these direct from Penn Elcom.  It accepts a 'standard' unthreaded pole or a hybrid threaded pole.  Meyer sells a hybrid pole for use with them.

It appears to be made of cast aluminum or some similar alloy.   White Metal?  Sure, IDK... 

I don't mean for this to be a critique of the product or design.  Things fail; it happens... I just happened to find a weak point in this particular item. 

Love the idea of using a narrower truss piece for this purpose.  However, I think the appeal of this design is that it works with a 'standard' F34 truss; that makes it versatile.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2024, 07:08:33 AM »

It appears to be made of cast aluminum or some similar alloy.   White Metal?  Sure, IDK...

At least that's better than plastic.  The cup also doesn't look very deep which isn't helping either.  All the cups on my speakers are single piece metal (pressed or machined) that are probably 4" deep or so - never once had one fail. 

With a 12" top plate holding most of your load I don't think you need anything particularly fancy here.  A simple M20 bolt up the middle into your speaker should be all you need to hold everything in place.  I use a similar philosophy for ground stacking my Yorkville Unity rig.  The boxes up on top are the easy part - what's not seen here are all the additional rigging components used to bolt the subwoofers together and provide rigid mounting points for the 1m box truss segments, in addition to overall load distribution for weight/balance considerations.

Obvious rigging disclaimer here that each case is unique and any proposed rigging solutions must be thoroughly evaluated before use.

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2024, 09:38:13 AM »

I believe the pole cup is a Penn Elcom M1557/M20
https://www.penn-elcom.com/us/universal-speaker-mounting-top-hat-m1557-m20

I also believe it is a M1557/M20. Reading the M1557/M20 specs and taking measurements of the actual Meyer part reveals that the I.D. of the cup is slightly oversized, I expect so as to not impede rotating a pole or u-bracket adapter into the 20mm thread. If you don't use the 20mm thread, however, this can leave the pole fit a bit wobbly. My solution for this is to replace the stock M1557/M20 pole cup with a Penn M1557 pole cup, which does not have the 20mm threaded portion and is .6 mm tighter I.D.

https://www.penn-elcom.com/us/3-1-8in-high-black-die-cast-zinc-top-hat-for-1-3-8in-poles-m1557
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2024, 09:55:13 AM »

Oh, its definitely overkill.   ;)

However, after having an M20 pole cup fail at a gig, I don't trust the straight poles anymore.  The weight of an X40 on top of a straight pole was able to apply enough torque to break a pole cup. Can you imagine with a UPQ?  These truss assemblies feel solid with a UPQ on top of a 900LFC.

Switch to all steel pole cups. The cast ones like this are known to crack and break like that.

Best regards,

John

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2024, 04:36:07 PM »

Switch to all steel pole cups. The cast ones like this are known to crack and break like that.

I was thinking this, too. I have been using the Penn-Elcom one-piece spun (I think) steel cups and they appear very strong and have never had a failure. In general, mild steel is wonderful for critical structural applications as it plastically deforms (yields) very far before failing. Its chief shortcomings are low strength/mass and corrosibility.

The truss supports look great, by the way.

--Frank
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 11:22:42 AM by Frank Koenig »
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Peter Kowalczyk

« Reply #19 on: Today at 12:22:08 AM »

Thanks all

I am planning to order parts soon to build another small batch of these M20 truss plate adaptors.  If anyone is interested in picking up a set, please DM me....

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: Today at 12:22:08 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 22 queries.