ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need test form for new church sound guys  (Read 2268 times)

Giezi Hernandez

Need test form for new church sound guys
« on: January 21, 2006, 09:59:56 PM »

this is the first time, i do this.  Very Happy . My name is Giezi, everyone calls me G. Im in a church that is growing, and i need more sound people, but the people that our leadership chose to be in the sound dont learn. Ive been trying to teach them, but they wont learn, its been about a year, i think. Im getting tired of teaching, and them not learning. Well i was thinking if i make some kind of test, and like an application for people who want to be in the sound, that would help me alot. I would like to know if someone has a test, and application, for new sound guys.

Doug Fowler

Re: Need test form for new church sound guys
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 11:00:21 PM »

Please read the admin posts about using your real name.  Then go to your profile and put your full name in the alias field.

Thank you for your cooperation.

-doug, part-time moderator in this forum

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 03:58:15 PM »

Just about the only "test" (written anywise) would be a knowledge test-NOT a skills test.  

Getting qualified operators is a real issue-in any church.  A good heart is the 1st issue, and if the person has a decent ear, then training can come with time.  However some people simply just don't get it.

What type of problems are you having in which you say they don't learn?  Are they not paying attention (not turning mics on and off at the right time etc)-or is the mix bad? and in what way?  You first have to identify the REAL problem, before you start to come up with a solution.

Are you having any training sessions?  Do you have rehersals?  Is there time for the operators to actually "practice" and do they?
Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.

Giezi Hernandez

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2006, 10:43:39 PM »

Im having problems  Smile with all those things. They dont pay attention, they dont still havent learned how to mix, and they still havent learned how to take the wireless mics off of standby. they dont know how to connect monitors. its like if after a year, all they learned to do is give more volume on the monitors, and raise the volume on the faders. We have practice every friday night. They come 50% of the time. and when i put aside some time for training, they're to busy to come, and if they do they have to leave early. I try to sit down with them and explain how the mixer works, and then i show them on the mixer what i explained, and it seems they get, but by next service, they dont remember. Smile. sometimes i get really frustrated with them. And other times it just makes me laugh that they dont get it. I was thinking that for this new year, i wanted to try something different. Like tryout the men of the church who would like to be in the sound, train them, and then give them a test of some sort, to see if they can get at least the basic things down. well the knowledge at least. Im happy today!. i hope you can help me. Smile

Nolan Tininenko

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006, 07:37:32 AM »

This is certainly a difficult situation to resolve.  I can't think of any test that will tell you whether a person will be a good sound tech or not.

The most important quality is a willingness and desire to learn.  A person's ear can be trained with practice and time, but not everyone can develop the same ability.  There are people who, no matter how much they want to learn and practice, can't hear (or learn to connect what they hear to the sound system) due to the aptitudes they're born with.

With that said, the best way to improve your situation is to a have a heart-to-heart with each individual on the team.  Find out
1) if they're satisfied with their position (if they're not happy they're not likely to excel)
2) what you can to do help them (if anything)

A sound tech position may not be the right ministry for some or all of these people.  If they're not willing to learn, this would seem to be the case.  If they're willing to learn, but just have other conflicts which have interfered with them coming to previous practices or training sessions, see what can be done to work around these.

You need to let them know what is expected from a sound tech.  We're not doing this for our glory, but working behind the scenes for God's and to serve others.  If that's not a good enough motivation for them, another ministry position might be best for them.

Methods of teaching can be equally important when training someone.  Some only learn by doing, others by watching, listening, and asking questions (sometimes over and over again). Smile  At times you might have to verbally guide them through an entire service, without touching anything yourself.  Explore different options!

Hope some of this helps.
Audio Team Leader
Grace Place church
Berthoud, CO

Ferd Regier

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2006, 09:16:54 AM »

G - it sounds like the test was the last year.
And they failed.

If the leadership suggested them, then you might have to tell the leadership that they aren't working out.

Of course some self-examination is alwayts worthwhile - could your teaching style be part of the problem?

Good luck
Ferd

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2006, 07:37:48 PM »

Yup, I agree that you might need to hone the teaching style.

Another issue is the whole tech vs. musical gambit. It could be that the folks you are using are real techies, when what you really need are musical types. Maybe there is someone on the worship team who could work WITH you to find musical folk and train them. While a musical person and a merely techie one can both learn how to mix (and both can screw one up!) given the choice I will take a musician who wants to learn sound, anyday...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2006, 07:37:48 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.