ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 27   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Kick Drum Mic?  (Read 199205 times)

Gary Weller

Re: Best Kick Drum Mic?
« Reply #110 on: December 12, 2012, 05:32:16 PM »

It's not so much the mic you put on/in the kick drum, but where you put it.

There......I said it.

+1 and also, I'll add how the kick is tuned.

Joe Gislason

• Selkirk Manitoba Canada
« Reply #111 on: December 22, 2012, 02:36:08 AM »

There......I said it.

+3?  anyway, Crap in, Crap out...  End of story.  It's kinda like getting William Hung to sound good...

AKG D112 for this guy, and a well tuned kick.
Can I get more Vuvuzela in my monitor?

Tomm Williams

« Reply #112 on: December 22, 2012, 09:29:27 PM »

There......I said it.

As usual----------to the point and correct

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #113 on: February 16, 2013, 05:27:43 AM »

I didn't bother reading through the 12 pages of stuff, so my opinion is probably already stated. I have a couple of favorites. I like the D6 and the shure sm91. The sm91 has something that can create any style of kick I desire. Country, metal, rock and blues can all be created with it all by itself. Is it the best sounding version of each, no but it will do it. The D6 has a really great modern kick sound. I can never have enough attack and click. I would rather have too much than not enough. It has a great low end punch with a great click. I don't need to have my ribs cracked every time the kick hits, but I at least want to know when it has been hit. The click is where it's at. Even with very little punch and low end material, you can make a kick apparent with it's near snare like click/attack.

The tuning of the kick is up for debate. There are two types of tuning. One for playing and one for being mic'd. One rule I learned was to lossen the head so it was just tight enough to get rid of the wrinkles. This will produce a nice attack with a nice pillowie low end punch. This is great, but try getting every drummer to do that for you.......... A good drummer will tune his heads like that any way as the best tone from a drum comes when the heads are just tight enough to rid the skin of wrinkles. But the whole package is the big question? The best tuned drums will still not sound as good when a lack luster player whacks away on them. The attack and touch from a good drummer is key. They really, truly pull the sound out of the drum. A bad drummer will just  not play in a way that works with the band. It's about touch and feel. It starts with a good drummer and ends with a good mic'ing technique that will get the sound from the drums that is needed. Some mics do a really good job at certain sounds. I prefer a mic that gives me a solid basis to work with. I own three kick mics and two of them always deliver. The third one works well where the other two don't.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Guy Luckert

« Reply #114 on: March 03, 2013, 07:35:33 AM »

Anthony Mirador

• Akroz Professional
« Reply #115 on: March 19, 2013, 02:17:11 PM »

After years of using everything called a kick drum mic, I decided my first choice is for kick drum is the Heil Sound PR40 a large diaphragm dynamic mic.

To this day, I can not believe or understand why the Shure Beta 52 is the most rider listed mic....... a good paper weight

Guy Luckert

« Reply #116 on: March 24, 2013, 03:31:21 PM »

Chris Whelan

« Reply #117 on: March 25, 2013, 11:07:39 PM »

I'm looking for an inexpensive kick mic that sounds decent with minimal work. We usually don't have an hour (or even 10 min) to spend getting any single mic "perfect"

We are a cover band an right now the majority of the places we play, the kick doesn't even have to be miced. But every so often we do need it miced. Right now we have a wharfedale drum mic kit that does ok. But is there something I can plug in put just inside the hole, and get a decent sound out of without having to find a "sweet spot"

Mark Carver

« Reply #118 on: March 26, 2013, 08:39:17 AM »

I'm looking for an inexpensive kick mic that sounds decent with minimal work. We usually don't have an hour (or even 10 min) to spend getting any single mic "perfect"

We are a cover band an right now the majority of the places we play, the kick doesn't even have to be miced. But every so often we do need it miced. Right now we have a wharfedale drum mic kit that does ok. But is there something I can plug in put just inside the hole, and get a decent sound out of without having to find a "sweet spot"

What kind of covers?
Rock or metal kick sound with minimum fuss you probably want to be looking at an Audix D6. It is pretty insensitive to placement and scenario.. it just churns out a very recognizable rock or metal kick sound with a just a dash of EQ.
It can do a turn on other genres also. But perhaps not as well.

Not my absolute favorite but in a quick and dirty scenario its hard to go wrong.

For a more organic sound, I dug out an ATM 25 the other day.. forgot how much I loved these things on kick. Needs more work on placement and EQ though. My current favorite. (But that could change from week to week)

Chris Whelan

« Reply #119 on: March 26, 2013, 09:09:12 AM »

Mostly rock. Classic through to now, some pop songs rocked up. We'll do pat benetar and volbeat, then Katy perry. Again just a decent sound with minimal fuss is more important then trying to nail a particular sound.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #119 on: March 26, 2013, 09:09:12 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 27   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 23 queries.