ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 27   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Kick Drum Mic?  (Read 199322 times)

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting rules
« Reply #100 on: June 13, 2012, 06:10:30 PM »

We use the Sennheiser e602-II... We love it.. boost ~5-6k then 53Hz it sounds incredible especially for the price.

See your PM.

Mac

Paul Walters

Re: Best Kick Drum Mic?
« Reply #101 on: June 15, 2012, 11:29:04 AM »

I thought this video would be appropriate: http://youtu.be/qOu1duZ35Nw

BrettKeller

« Reply #102 on: June 21, 2012, 12:48:43 PM »

I thought this video would be appropriate: http://youtu.be/qOu1duZ35Nw

Very cool and well done video, but after listening to it on a couple different speakers and ear buds, I found that I liked different mics depending on what I was listening on so...

I've used most of the usual suspects extensively, and used random vocal mics and 57's in those rough situations. One thing I've found is that a lot of mics will get you there with varying degrees of EQ and gating, etc. and I think that video demonstrates that.

At this point, I put more emphasis on ease of placement, and versatility when looking to buy a kick mic, particularly for live use. The beta91a and e901 are great because you can just sit them down right inside the drum with no stand or clamp, and that's where they want to be. I'm actually debating between buying one or the other right now. I was leaning towards the beta91a because I haven't had a chance to try e901, and I've heard it's really big and doesn't fit through some smaller kick holes. The downside to both mics is that when there's no hole, you probably want to have something else on hand. The good news is that the other mic could be an SM7, or a PR30, or an MD421 or an RE20, you get the idea. All of these full range dynamics will come in handy and sound great on a wide variety of sources while you're using your PZM style kick mic 85% of the time. Or, use your secondary kick mic even when there is a hole just because it seems more appropriate to the genre/drum.

That is in my opinion the best approach for the small to medium sized shows I do right now. I guess the real question is, how many kick mics do you need to have something appropriate for every occasion? If you anticipate double bass, I guess you need two of something...

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #103 on: June 21, 2012, 01:40:40 PM »

I've made a homemade subkick, although the speaker I used was fairly small(about 6 inches) and it produces great sound. I like it better than the CAD kick mic we'd been using. The CAD works better on a drum with a hole in the head(which our current kick drum setup doesn't have). Mine is a very simple subkick, I wired the + on the speaker to the top on a 1/4 inch plug and the - to the sleeve, I then plug that into a DI. It sounds good even with out a sub.

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk 2

Sander Rooijens

« Reply #104 on: June 25, 2012, 08:15:47 AM »

Mine is a very simple subkick, I wired the + on the speaker to the top on a 1/4 inch plug and the - to the sleeve, I then plug that into a DI.

Seems to me that you've actually got a somewhat complicated subkick then.
Wire the + on the speaker to pin 2 of a male XLR and - to pin 3.
No DI required anymore, plugs straight into a mic input.

S.R.

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #105 on: June 25, 2012, 08:20:08 AM »

Interesting, I wasn't sure if that would provide enough or a clean signal. I'll give it a try, i'd be nice not to have that di tied up with the kick. Thanks for the advice.

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk 2

Terence Gray

« Reply #106 on: July 11, 2012, 03:11:48 AM »

My first experience with an Audix D6 was a jazz festival with no sound checks, 15-minute turnaround times and everything from trios to big bands, traditional to contemporary. There were as many different combinations of make model and resonant head setup as there were bands and about the only thing I did not try was mic-ing the beater head. What I found was that the D6 sounded great right out of the box, and that I was doing very little with EQ and dynamics. I was so impressed that I bought the mic (it was a demo that the festival audio vendor supplied). That was 10 years ago and I haven't voluntarily used anything else on a kick since. From time to time I have added a Beta91 or other boundary mic inside the drum, but more often than not, the D6 is all I need.

The D6 might not be the "best" kick drum mic, but is most assuredly my favorite.

Terry

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #107 on: September 14, 2012, 08:30:26 PM »

AKG announces the new D12VR bass drum mic.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #108 on: September 17, 2012, 04:44:00 PM »

It's not so much the mic you put on/in the kick drum, but where you put it.

There......I said it.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #109 on: September 18, 2012, 02:12:54 PM »

It's not so much the mic you put on/in the kick drum, but where you put it.

There......I said it.
+1000
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #109 on: September 18, 2012, 02:12:54 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 27   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.