ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 27   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Kick Drum Mic?  (Read 199216 times)

Dave Dermont

• Forum Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • From The Great Pocono Northeast
Re: Best Kick Drum Mic?
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2011, 10:01:25 PM »

Dave,

On the "old" forum, I know you used some drum mics from Equation Audio...did you get a chance to listen to their kick mic and, if so, what did you think?  I know there's a pretty bug hump in the LF response, but that can be desirable sometimes.

Jordan,

I own a set of four equations. If you compare the response graphs of the Equation  and the Audix D6, you will notice that both have a similar scooped out midrange.

They have a very similar sound. In fact, sonically, the Equation is every bit what the Audix is, for about 1/3 the price.

The Audix, however, is miles ahead in fit and finish.
Dave Dermont

Warning: Dates on calendar may be closer than they appear

Scott Flaws

« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2011, 10:00:36 AM »

I use a 57 on the beater side, then a beta 91, e901, and sm 91 in a l,c,r combo in the dead center on a pillow, then i have a re27, b52 and a d6 pinned at the hole at a narrow angle so it spreads the air movement over all 3 mics equally. Oh i also have an ae2500de on the inside of the beater head. Then i must have delay and phase on every channel so then it becomes making sure i have the proper console.... just saying.

George Dougherty

« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2011, 12:17:00 PM »

I really like the sound of the E902, I do most of my shows with it. If I have a metal band I'll pull out the E901 8) For recording I put both to have more options.
Same here.  I had and gave away my D6 to somebody else that needed a good kick drum mic in exchange for a Soundcraft Spirit 328 console they didn't need.  Sold the console for $2K, best trade I've ever made.  Like the D6 it works well on every kick I've encountered, hole or not.  It just has a less hyped sound with better clarity and definition for my taste.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2011, 01:07:47 PM »

I am really interested in building a DIY sub kick for super low booms.

Since you don't carry mics now, how will you take a sub-kick?

Seriously, I've seen these on tours (when I'm not be a system engineer, I play IATSE stage hand), set up a few and, frankly, don't consider them to be a must-have tool based on what I've heard come out of the PA.

A much better choice (that will fit in your briefcase) would be a Beyer M-380.  The diaphragm is roughly 40mm and delivers sub-sonics like you've probably never heard them.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Bolt

« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2011, 06:58:08 PM »

I prefer the Audix D6, but I think that what is more important is that you process the kick correctly.

properly gated and equalized, you can really get some great kick sounds.  I do like to deaden up the chamber to get rid of the ring and put the mic about 4-6" away from the beater head about 4" off center from the beater.

Make sure that you don't have the gates set too fast or many will "click".  Make sure you have enough highs to get the beater slap in the mix.  Make sure you don't go crazy on the really low frequencies since it can cover up the sweet punch if you do.  Make sure that your low mid range is well equalized for punch (80-120).

I hear lots of bands that don't know how to get good kick in the mix.  It is a sad thing since if you do it right, it really makes your band sound fantastic and gets the toes tapping and the feet dancing :)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2011, 07:25:45 PM »

....... I think that what is more important is that you process the kick correctly.

properly gated and equalized, you can really get some great kick sounds.  I do like to deaden up the chamber to get rid of the ring and put the mic about 4-6" away from the beater head about 4" off center from the beater.

Agreed.  Although I have better gates available, I prefer my Drawmer "Punch Gate" in line with one channel of a BSS 904.  The "peak punch" feature lets me regulate the attack to taste.  Sometimes it is engaged, sometimes not.  I'm using an EV 868 and prefer it roughly where you do, but I adjust the lateral placement according to the drummer and the style.  Sometimes I'll have it straight on.......
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Tomm Williams

« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2011, 08:20:49 PM »

Yeah.

Good for all those times when the kick drum sound does not matter all that much.

Interesting how varied points of view can be. I've seen several riders that list the 52 as acceptable and yet some folks really dislike it.

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2011, 07:40:19 AM »

Interesting how varied points of view can be. I've seen several riders that list the 52 as acceptable and yet some folks really dislike it.

Beta 52 and SM91 combo is still somewhat ubiquitous on concert stages in the U.S. AFAIK.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Mike Bamber

• Live Sound Hire Ltd
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2011, 07:48:27 AM »

I think it's a common trait in the industry, people love to do down the best seller / most popular choice. It the same with the Beta 58!

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2011, 07:58:04 AM »

I think it's a common trait in the industry, people love to do down the best seller / most popular choice. It the same with the Beta 58!

Beta 58 never really 'caught on' that much here in the Colonies for concert work.  Most would take a regular 58 if offered the choice.

Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2011, 07:58:04 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 27   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 19 queries.