ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 27   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Kick Drum Mic?  (Read 198742 times)

Branimir Bozak

• Stara metalika
Re: Best Kick Drum Mic?
« Reply #200 on: November 24, 2016, 02:43:12 PM »

There's no "best drum mic", since most of them perform their tasks quite good, and mostly it depends on the kick drum.

Here's my take:

Personally, I'm not really fond of Audix D6, first of all - it's voiced too much and makes a lot of bass drums sound the same, and it's biggest flaw is - it will break down and die. Although it does sound quite good and gets the job done :)
Beta 52 IMHO sound much more detailed than D6, while being in the same ball park.

Sennheiser E602 - I worked with that one a lot, and I don't really like it, boomy low end, with mushy lowmids, can't really say it would be my go to mike.
AKG D112 - has strong midrange (1 to 3khz) which might not sound right with some kick drums, you can eq it out, though, I like the D112, it's not too modern and works well outside of the bass drum for more acoustic sound, and if you put in the kick drum, you can tailor it to have more highs and more modern sounding.
AKD D12VR - that one has switches and stuff, but it sounds great, quite punchy!
Shure Beta 91 - I like the limited dynamics of this microphone - makes crappy drummers sound less crappy. The microphone is prone to failure in the end, a big minus, I would never buy it.
Sennheiser E901 - similar microphone to Beta 91, but with softer high end, will not die on you like the Beta 91, useful outside of metal genre too.
EV RE20 - this one belongs in the 70s, no real use today, unless you like boxy sounding lowmids and you're doing jazz... Too much eq needed to get rid of the lowmids, if you want acoustic stuff, try D112 :)

The Audix F6 is not bad, if you want something on the budget, quite similar to D6, but cheaper - much better mic than PG52 or similar low grade kick microphones.

I currently use D112 for touring, but if somebody gave me Beta 52, I would probably use it better than the D112. Wish Beta 91 was more reliable... Maybe the newer Beta 91A is sturdier?

I have limited experiences with E902, so I cannot comment on that one, also there's that Audio Technica kick mic that is both dynamic and condenser, I think it's AT2500, that is a really good kick mic, but I think it costs 2x the usual mic (D112, Beta52).

Can anybody comment on Heil kick mics? Are they reliable? Are they similar to Beta 52? Some other?
If you scoop, it sounds like poop!

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #201 on: December 21, 2016, 02:30:44 PM »

Hmmm...
I picked up an sE X1D recently. I wasn't keen on the kick-drum-mic sound, so chose this one because its pretty neutral - if I want a 4kHz peak, I'll put it there. Its not like GBF is much of an issue. Pretty useful that its side-address, too.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Steve Crump

« Reply #202 on: March 13, 2017, 03:47:57 PM »

We are using the Heil PR48 at our venue. Mostly Blues Rock bands. In our live music setting it seems to translate the sound tighter and fuller than the Beta 52 we were using. Of course this is all subjective based on the listener. We have had it in use for about 2 years. No issues.

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

• Az Concert Sound Solutions
« Reply #203 on: November 29, 2017, 06:54:02 PM »

Haven't looked at this thread in years.  21 pages and not a single mention of what I find to be my very favorite Kick Drum microphone, the Beyer TGX-50 MKII.

Everyone who has mixed with this mic on my recommendation has been thrilled with it.

Only problem with the mic is that if you have a bad sounding kick, you'll know it with this mic.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #204 on: November 30, 2017, 02:50:47 PM »

Haven't looked at this thread in years.  21 pages and not a single mention of what I find to be my very favorite Kick Drum microphone, the Beyer TGX-50 MKII.

Everyone who has mixed with this mic on my recommendation has been thrilled with it.

Only problem with the mic is that if you have a bad sounding kick, you'll know it with this mic.

Did I fail to mention the TGX-50?  I own one and it's older, figure-of-eight sibling the M-380.  The TGX is a very nice mic but the M-380 is big step up.  I think it's the extra large diaphragm...
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 02:54:49 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

• Az Concert Sound Solutions
« Reply #205 on: November 30, 2017, 08:47:34 PM »

Did I fail to mention the TGX-50?  I own one and it's older, figure-of-eight sibling the M-380.  The TGX is a very nice mic but the M-380 is big step up.  I think it's the extra large diaphragm...

It's the difference between the original TGX-50 and the MKII.  The MKII had an EQ circuit that made it excel over the original.

Mal Brown

« Reply #206 on: August 18, 2018, 12:00:57 PM »

Just landed an Audio Technica AE2500. First gig on it. Last night and I was able to dial in some really cool stuff.  Band was a 4 pc, 2 Guitars band doing classic rock adaptations.  Everything from Beastie Boys ( of, not so classic) to LED Zep...   kick had a hole,  mic front face maybe 5” into the drum.  mapex 22”. Reasonably well tuned.  No flab to start.

I got a nice round sound out of the Dynamic side, and dialed in some serious click from the condenser.  Started playing around after letting the band settle in for a few tunes.  I low passed the condenser side fairly high by the end of the first set. Maybe 200 and cranked a fair amount of gain in the 3 to 4 k range.

Song to song I was able to go from round and defined to almost metal.  Nice out of 1 mic body.   Could probably do as well with an inside/outside setup with two good mics.  Maybe beta 52/91 combo.  But for 1 mic body this is a pretty cool mic.  I’ll be using it quite a lot I expect.

Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Mike Butler (media)

• http://www.mikebutlermedia.com
« Reply #207 on: August 28, 2018, 02:06:38 PM »

By the way...I'm wondering, under what circumstances, would I ever use the "kiss" smiley...
IDK, to represent "Keep It Simple, Stupid" maybe?
<a href="http://www.mikebutlermedia.com" target="_blank">http://www.mikebutlermedia.com</a>

Mike Butler Media * AV/video production * corporate event production * presentation services * marketing support * creative research * graphic design * photography

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #208 on: August 29, 2018, 12:35:23 AM »

Just landed an Audio Technica AE2500. First gig on it. Last night and I was able to dial in some really cool stuff.  Band was a 4 pc, 2 Guitars band doing classic rock adaptations.  Everything from Beastie Boys ( of, not so classic) to LED Zep...   kick had a hole,  mic front face maybe 5” into the drum.  mapex 22”. Reasonably well tuned.  No flab to start.

I got a nice round sound out of the Dynamic side, and dialed in some serious click from the condenser.  Started playing around after letting the band settle in for a few tunes.  I low passed the condenser side fairly high by the end of the first set. Maybe 200 and cranked a fair amount of gain in the 3 to 4 k range.

Song to song I was able to go from round and defined to almost metal.  Nice out of 1 mic body.   Could probably do as well with an inside/outside setup with two good mics.  Maybe beta 52/91 combo.  But for 1 mic body this is a pretty cool mic.  I’ll be using it quite a lot I expect.

I got an AE2500 thinking I'd use it often.  Color that "almost never".  Guest BEs would rather have the 52/91 combo and I can usually get what I want out of a single mic (keep it simple).

Getting to the point where I think I'll start listing mics over in the classifieds forum...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mal Brown

« Reply #209 on: August 29, 2018, 10:11:09 AM »

I ‘found’ the ae2500 after hosting a guest engineer when doing the Polyrhithmics a couple of months back.  Guy had a really nice sounding kit.  We had a long chat about drum and percussion mics and techniques.  Young guy but an old soul sound wise.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #209 on: August 29, 2018, 10:11:09 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 27   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 22 queries.