ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another Powered Speaker Shootout (QSC, JBL, Mackie, EV, Yamaha, Peavey)  (Read 39465 times)

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
Re: Another Powered Speaker Shootout (QSC, JBL, Mackie, EV, Yamaha, Peavey)
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2011, 01:33:47 PM »

Thanks, Doug, for pointing out that this "shootout" is about as valid as having an in-law suggest new wives....

Having attended a few shootouts, I've decided that most of them are meaningless once you're outside THAT venue and use different deployments or change any of the processing.

Tim Mc

My take is that the final result of what you hear is about 20% the specific box, 40% the interaction of the box with the surroundings (room) and 40% the choices of the operator.

I think that if I can't take any of these boxes into a venue they are appropriate size for, and get a good sounding show, I would give up sound and take up golf.

And no one wants to see the disaster that would be.
Jay Barracato

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2011, 05:56:25 PM »

My take is that the final result of what you hear is about 20% the specific box, 40% the interaction of the box with the surroundings (room) and 40% the choices of the operator.

BINGO!

Quote from: Jay, who then said
I think that if I can't take any of these boxes into a venue they are appropriate size for, and get a good sounding show, I would give up sound and take up golf.

You'd still be scoring better than me.  Golf is NOT something I do well.  It's probably a good thing I miss the ball most of the time, or I'd be compared to Gerald Ford.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2011, 06:10:46 PM »

...I think that if I can't take any of these boxes into a venue they are appropriate size for, and get a good sounding show, I would give up sound and take up golf...

I think they are ALL decent for budget boxes. The fact that many of the participants had so much trouble picking a favorite shows that they were splitting hairs just to find some differences.

I agree that most of us should do well with using any of them in bar gigs.
Member since 2005.

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2011, 06:31:15 PM »

BINGO!

Quote from: Jay, who then said

You'd still be scoring better than me.  Golf is NOT something I do well.  It's probably a good thing I miss the ball most of the time, or I'd be compared to Gerald Ford.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

I used to think golf was the most god awful waste of time ever created, then an old girlfriend bought me a whole round of lessons with a great golf pro. Now I KNOW it is the greatestwaste of time ever.

Still my father is an avid golfer and to get some quality time with him I did go out for a round. I was extremely proud to have broken 90, then he pointed out I still had to play the back nine.
Jay Barracato

Scott Bolt

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2011, 09:41:08 PM »

Thanks, Doug, for pointing out that this "shootout" is about as valid as having an in-law suggest new wives....

Having attended a few shootouts, I've decided that most of them are meaningless once you're outside THAT venue and use different deployments or change any of the processing.

Tim Mc

LOL.

Got a chuckle out of that one ;)

I agree.  Any of these speakers should be capable of producing good sound in the hands of a capable sound professional.

The fact that less than half could pick a favorite shows that they are all in the same league.

I believe that what we are seeing is powered speakers that are capable of sounding good even in the hands of an average musician (who would typically know more about golf than sound).  A matched pair of powered subs and tops can be set from the factory to have good characteristics straight out of the box.  All time alignment, crossover, equalization, etc is all set from the factory to sound "good".  Just plug them in and turn them on.

Some day there will be speakers that have a mixer built in ;)  100% wireless (except for power).  Just plug in your speakers, turn on your microphones, and juice up you iPad and away you go.

Steve Cruz

« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2011, 09:44:49 PM »

So, if I read the story correctly, they all sounded pretty close to each other when calibrated to put out the same volume. But Scott says the DSRs stand out at louder volumes. Would anyone else comment on which they thought are capable of loud and beautiful?

I ask because I own a pair of the older, V1 Mackie SRM 450s, but looking for something to fill a bit larger venues without carrying too much more weight.

Thanks in advance for any insights you can offer.

Steve Cruz
Coconut Creek, FL
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 09:47:20 PM by screws »

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2011, 05:53:59 AM »

So, if I read the story correctly, they all sounded pretty close to each other when calibrated to put out the same volume. But Scott says the DSRs stand out at louder volumes. Would anyone else comment on which they thought are capable of loud and beautiful?

I ask because I own a pair of the older, V1 Mackie SRM 450s, but looking for something to fill a bit larger venues without carrying too much more weight.

Steve Cruz
Coconut Creek, FL

Steve,
They are all budget MI (Musical Instrument) boxes which are not necessarily designed for high volume performance. They are all rated between 131dB and 134dB, with the exception of the Mackie SRM450v2 which doesn't get as loud. But keep in mind that (depending on material content,) the built-in limiter will stop some of them from going that loud. I have been hearing that some of them can get a little ugly due to that.

I have read in a few other threads that the Yamaha DSR112 stands out as sounding good at high volumes. But I am just repeating what I have read. I have never used them.
Member since 2005.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2011, 10:44:39 PM »

Steve Cruz
Coconut Creek, FL
Hi Steve,

There are 1 or 2 others in this forum that have indicated similar findings.  There are a couple of reviews here: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-DSR112-Active-Loudspeaker-106226970-i1546108.gc#customer-reviews

... one of them is mine, so it doesn't count ;)

One here: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2742529-Just-demoed-the-new-Yamaha-powered-speakers...&highlight=yamaha

One here: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2745885-AL-S-YAMAHA-DSR115-POWERED-SPEAKER-REVIEW

and my own thread here: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2730461-DSR112-Reviews&highlight=DSR112

There may be more now since it is been a little while since I have searched around for info on them.

Steve Cruz

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2011, 10:53:36 AM »

Thanks to all for the help and advice. Sorry again about the username problems. I used to frequent this board a few years ago, and my old username of screws was never an issue back then. I've changed it to my full real name.

Thanks again.
Steve Cruz
[email protected]

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2011, 10:53:36 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.