ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: advice needed…sprinklers hit my equipment  (Read 3222 times)

kel mcguire

advice needed…sprinklers hit my equipment
« on: September 25, 2018, 02:35:10 PM »

I mixed my personal sound-co life with my day job life and agreed to do a weekend event using my own equipment for a very nominal fee.

I set up my stage outdoors, had four QSC K.2 series on the stage for monitors, two K12 for mains and two Yamaha DXS12 subs. everything is less than a year old. It was a nice PA for the event size BTW.

Anyhow, my Snake, and six mics were left set up( 3 x 58, 3 x Heil mics for drums). I only asked for two things: Security overnight and for the irrigation sprinklers to be turned off for the duration of the event. Somehow the sprinklers were turned back on by someone and every speaker got hit. I wasn't there to assess the actual amount but a significant soaking. The sub pole cups were filled and I see some calcium spots like what would happen to your car. The speakers were wiped off with towels by other co-workers who were camping on site.

It was a really hot dry weekend(95-100) so the following morning I put the speakers out on the asphalt in semi circle and blasted a giant fan at the backs and fronts for a couple hours. After that two of them seemed slow to turn on but eventually all Eight cabs worked both days. I'm not completely certain that one K10.2 doesn't sound darker than the other.

So, I'm uncertain what might be the long term prognosis for the speakers. Is there damage to cones, rust initiation to worry about or something that may take some time to manifest itself? Secondly, under these circumstances, working as a sound co, how might you assess what financial damages you had incurred in this situation…if any? I feel like I'm somewhere between:
-wanting all new equipment(too extreme)
-not worrying since everything works(doest seem fair in light of the mistake and dousing)

Some financial compensation sort of seems in order but I'm conflicted for two reasons:
-it's my day job employer
-I don't know how to estimate what damages I may have suffered in the long term. Maybe the speakers go for another month, a year, five years? 

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
Re: advice needed…sprinklers hit my equipment
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 03:05:42 PM »

Definitely not my area of expertise, but a couple of questions/thoughts come to mind:

- Did you have any type of formal agreement/contract in place with your employer that defined your requests around security and sprinkler system?

- How good is your overall relationship with your employer? Could you explain to them the potential for damage and ask them what might be a fair agreement?

- Could you leave the speakers powered-up and running some program material for a week or so? That might help vet/expose any potential near-term issues

Looking at the longer term, I suspect that mineral deposits could maybe cause some issues, depending on exactly how wet things got, and where they got wet. Smarter folks than me can suggest some preventative maintenance... but maybe you open things up and use some de-oxit or something on any connections, etc?

scottstephens

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 04:17:49 PM »

Kel,

Almost the same thing happened to me, but it was rain. Here is what I suggest, but you might want to call the manufacturer because I'm sure they know more than I do.

Take the grills off, turn them upside down for a little while and let the speakers dry out. Then place them somewhere with airflow; either outside in the shade or under a fan that is set on low. After that power them up one at a time and listen carefully.  I'm sure that you or your employer has insurance for crap like this. Personally, I would talk to my employer first because this might make your rates go up. Just because they can.

Good Luck

Scott

John Penkala

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 04:45:02 PM »

I mixed my personal sound-co life with my day job life and agreed to do a weekend event using my own equipment for a very nominal fee.

I set up my stage outdoors, had four QSC K.2 series on the stage for monitors, two K12 for mains and two Yamaha DXS12 subs. everything is less than a year old. It was a nice PA for the event size BTW.

Anyhow, my Snake, and six mics were left set up( 3 x 58, 3 x Heil mics for drums). I only asked for two things: Security overnight and for the irrigation sprinklers to be turned off for the duration of the event. Somehow the sprinklers were turned back on by someone and every speaker got hit. I wasn't there to assess the actual amount but a significant soaking. The sub pole cups were filled and I see some calcium spots like what would happen to your car. The speakers were wiped off with towels by other co-workers who were camping on site.

It was a really hot dry weekend(95-100) so the following morning I put the speakers out on the asphalt in semi circle and blasted a giant fan at the backs and fronts for a couple hours. After that two of them seemed slow to turn on but eventually all Eight cabs worked both days. I'm not completely certain that one K10.2 doesn't sound darker than the other.

So, I'm uncertain what might be the long term prognosis for the speakers. Is there damage to cones, rust initiation to worry about or something that may take some time to manifest itself? Secondly, under these circumstances, working as a sound co, how might you assess what financial damages you had incurred in this situation…if any? I feel like I'm somewhere between:
-wanting all new equipment(too extreme)
-not worrying since everything works(doest seem fair in light of the mistake and dousing)

Some financial compensation sort of seems in order but I'm conflicted for two reasons:
-it's my day job employer
-I don't know how to estimate what damages I may have suffered in the long term. Maybe the speakers go for another month, a year, five years?

Did you have a rental agreement? Do you have insurance?

Even if you do, you don't have a measureable loss. Ask yourself what an insurance adjuster would see? Is there physical damage? Does something not work?

« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 04:52:33 PM by John Penkala »

kel mcguire

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 05:28:48 PM »

there was no formal agreement with my employer for the rental. We have a great relationship. There is a paper(email) trail for everything discussed, including what I was providing, the sprinklers off request, and budget. I carry event liability insurance but not on my gear.

correct, there is almost no visual and performance damage visible or to the ears.

Should I just forget about what may come and learn from this?

In good conscience, if I were to sell they equipment, i'd probably disclose their histories. Would that not devalue the resale?  Perhaps that percentage might be damages? Just spitballing here…

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 06:07:09 PM »

there was no formal agreement with my employer for the rental. We have a great relationship. There is a paper(email) trail for everything discussed, including what I was providing, the sprinklers off request, and budget. I carry event liability insurance but not on my gear.

correct, there is almost no visual and performance damage visible or to the ears.

Should I just forget about what may come and learn from this?

In good conscience, if I were to sell they equipment, i'd probably disclose their histories. Would that not devalue the resale?  Perhaps that percentage might be damages? Just spitballing here…

I somewhat disagree, to me that's a total loss.  You can't trust those again.

Anytime electronics get wet insurance writes them off.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2018, 06:32:32 PM »

there was no formal agreement with my employer for the rental. We have a great relationship.

Kel - if you and your employer have a GREAT relationship then surely he would want to help you out by perhaps trying to claim on his insurance or at the very least come up with some cash to compensate... Great relationships work both ways.....
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2018, 06:42:45 PM »

Only me but I'd give them the soaked gear for them to use later and have them replace them with new.  You have a written agreement to have the sprinklers to be turned off and they were turned on. The burden is on them as they damaged your gear. If those were Video screens, TV's etc would anyone want to use them after?  Did your paper cones have sign's of being wet?  How weak are they now? 

Its a no brainer right now.  You let too much time go by and you'll be eating the whole thing. 

Douglas R. Allen

Don Ernst

• Ernst Audio Services, Inc
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2018, 07:43:57 PM »

I was hired to do sound for a golf tournament where I had to place a PA on the rough next to the 18th hole for announcements and presentations at the end of the course.  Yes, there was an agreement to turn off the sprinklers and I assumed the worst, so I covered everything with tarps and secured the tarps from wind.

I was glad I did, because the sprinklers were not turned off and they would have soaked my gear to the point that it would have had to be replaced so I would have been able to trust it for my business.

Would I do it again?  You’re Damn right I would.  Not everyone involved in the event actually reads or even knows about the contract that we have with the organizers.
Don Ernst
Louisville, Ky.

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2018, 11:06:55 PM »

1)there was no formal agreement with my employer for the rental. We have a great relationship. There is a paper(email) trail for everything discussed, including what I was providing, the sprinklers off request, and budget.

2)Should I just forget about what may come and learn from this?

3)In good conscience, if I were to sell they equipment, i'd probably disclose their histories. Would that not devalue the resale?  4)Perhaps that percentage might be damages? Just spitballing here…
1) Unless the paper trail had a signed agreement by the renter assuming full responsibility for any losses or damages, you have little recourse. Fortunately your gear was not stolen..
2) Don't forget, but do learn. Your gear should have been waterproofed before leaving it unattended, it could have been rained on while you were away.
Like Don Ernst, I always assume if there is a possibility of the gear getting wet, cover it. I've experienced several times when  sprinklers were not turned off when they should have been.
3) Contrary to Scott's opinion, I would not consider exposure to water "a total loss", nor would I assume it to be a big problem since you dried the gear out and it all works. If the gear becomes intermittent, yes, it will devalue resale.
4) Trying to pursue a reimbursement for another's mistake from your employer or his insurance company may not be worth the difficulties and ill will it will generate.

Art

« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 11:15:52 PM by Art Welter »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2018, 11:06:55 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.32 seconds with 21 queries.