ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: K-sub or other Slim Subs  (Read 3820 times)

Peter Kowalczyk

K-sub or other Slim Subs
« on: September 25, 2018, 02:05:04 PM »

Apologies if this has been beaten to death already; redirect and flame away if necessary...

A client is looking for slim / compact subs to fit under the stage in a new, small (<150 cap), fixed install.  He's interested in the QSC K sub, which is <15" wide.  Whatever we choose will be working with a mid-level self powered 12" 2 way; (still TBD, though I'm a DSR fanboy).

I have little experience with bandpass designs, and have not personally used this model, so I'm looking for:

a) opinions on the K Sub, and its successor the KS112
b) alternate options for slim subs that I should be considering.

Marketing SPL numbers put the K sub louder by 2dB than the newer KS112 (130 vs 128), but have the KS112 operating lower in frequency (-6dB at 41 vs. 48Hz) - any real world experience to refute or confirm this?

Thanks!

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: K-sub or other Slim Subs
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 02:18:08 PM »

Apologies if this has been beaten to death already; redirect and flame away if necessary...

A client is looking for slim / compact subs to fit under the stage in a new, small (<150 cap), fixed install.  He's interested in the QSC K sub, which is <15" wide.  Whatever we choose will be working with a mid-level self powered 12" 2 way; (still TBD, though I'm a DSR fanboy).

I have little experience with bandpass designs, and have not personally used this model, so I'm looking for:

Marketing SPL numbers put the K sub louder by 2dB than the newer KS112 (130 vs 128), but have the KS112 operating lower in frequency (-6dB at 41 vs. 48Hz) - any real world experience to refute or confirm this?

Thanks!

The K-sub is generally not well thought of here on the forum as the band pass designed sub is a bit of a one note wonder. I used to own a couple and they were OK in smaller places but I never got the quality of sound or adequate levels for live music I desired from a sub. I used them with K10's. I had to run them flat out and turn down the tops quite a bit to balance.
Kick always sounded pretty good.....bass not so much.
For around the same money there are better sounding options out there - PRX818xlf, KW181  Turbosound IQ18 and more.

Edit : sorry almost forgot my main point..... if you need a small sub there have been a few recommended on here - I have owned a PRX715xlf (replaced by the PRX815xlf ) and it was a really good sounding little sub - quite musical and way better than the K-sub - nice small footprint too. 
There are offerings from RCF and others in 12" and 15" that other members will probably comment on.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 02:23:31 PM by Debbie Dunkley »
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 02:29:30 PM »

Install?

I'd do Danley TH212

Ksub sucks.
New Ksub, dunno.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Steve Garris

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 03:19:57 PM »

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 03:21:02 PM »

Install?

I'd do Danley TH212

Ksub sucks.
New Ksub, dunno.
Agreed.  TH-Mini would be a better comparison, and is still a better sub.  Or the TH112.  The TH212, even though 12" drivers, is not a "toy" by any means.

The KW181 is passable, the rest of the QSC subs not so much. 

If there is less than 15" of under-stage height - fly the subs instead.  All Danley subs have 3/8" rig points.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 03:47:47 PM »

Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Dave Scarlett

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2018, 04:12:40 PM »

I have these https://www.ebay.com/itm/392128251808?ul_noapp=true

Kinda heavy to haul around, but I think you'd like them.

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2018, 05:17:06 PM »

What's the depth on the space and do you need active or passive?

These are very slim and available in both active and passive
http://www.vueaudio.com/products/is-26-is-26a-compact/

Also I have used the Tannoy VS10BP subs on a few installs with good results. They need plenty of power.

Thanks!
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

kel mcguire

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2018, 05:30:46 PM »

I've really been impressed with my pair of Yamaha DXS12 subs. I see there's a mkII that goes lower and louder, yet is lighter. And their DXS15 mkII has upped the performance too. Perhaps a consideration

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2018, 06:00:23 PM »

Agreed.  TH-Mini would be a better comparison, and is still a better sub.  Or the TH112.  The TH212, even though 12" drivers, is not a "toy" by any means.

The KW181 is passable, the rest of the QSC subs not so much. 

If there is less than 15" of under-stage height - fly the subs instead.  All Danley subs have 3/8" rig points.

You are correct, the TH-Mini or TH112 or TH-mini15 would all be more comparable to the ksub (output wise). But You and I both like our subs so the TH212 would be my pick :)

All the Danley offerings will be in a different (higher) class IMO.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Peter Kowalczyk

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2018, 07:46:42 PM »

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

This is a lounge-level install, with a corresponding budget.  I'd love to go for something like that Danley TH212, but they can't afford it. 

Doesn't need to shake the earth either, this is a <150 person capacity room.

Getting details on Stage Height; not sure if that's been built yet.  The K-sub's 15" dimenstion is the current target, so looking for things in that ballpark.

Self powered is preferable.

thanks again,
P

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2018, 07:58:05 PM »

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

This is a lounge-level install, with a corresponding budget.  I'd love to go for something like that Danley TH212, but they can't afford it. 

Doesn't need to shake the earth either, this is a <150 person capacity room.

Getting details on Stage Height; not sure if that's been built yet.  The K-sub's 15" dimenstion is the current target, so looking for things in that ballpark.

Self powered is preferable.

thanks again,
P

Get a quote from Mike Pyle for the TH-Mini I think it would fit your criteria better than a TH212.

I would also vouch for the Martin X210 or CSX212 ~900-1200 retail
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 08:06:22 PM by Nathan Riddle »

Wes Garland

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2018, 08:22:40 PM »

I rented a Yorkville PSA1S the other night.  2x12 with lots of oomph, I really liked it and it seems to fit your use-case. The only real negative is the fixed 100Hz low pass filter.

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2018, 09:08:44 PM »

These are new but are close to the size your looking for.  17-17-27 inches

http://yorkville.com/subwoofers/elite/product/es12p/

Seems to have very good output and I have a pair of Yorkville subs that do work well.

Douglas R. Allen

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2018, 10:00:47 PM »

The Yorkville PS15s and PSa1s are very capable and compact at only 17" and 14" wide.
http://yorkville.com/subwoofers/paraline/product/psa1s/

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2018, 10:00:47 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.