ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: New Mobile PA Buildout Help  (Read 4654 times)

Mark Wilkinson

Re: New Mobile PA Buildout Help
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2018, 11:11:26 AM »

I didn't see what mixer you are using, but if it's the X/M 32,
the Ultranet cabability of the IQ speakers is a huge plus for quick setup/teardown.

Looping Cat5 from box to box, as well as pass thru powercon AC, is very clean. 
Also, there's a 10yr warranty on Midas brands...

Tom Nisbet

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2018, 12:25:28 PM »

I didn't see what mixer you are using, but if it's the X/M 32,
the Ultranet cabability of the IQ speakers is a huge plus for quick setup/teardown.

Looping Cat5 from box to box, as well as pass thru powercon AC, is very clean. 
Also, there's a 10yr warranty on Midas brands...

Right now I’m running everything out of my Pioneer DJM900NXS-2.  Connection is xlr out into my QSC subs and then in my k12.2’s.   I would like to get an actual mixer to help control subs and tops better, that way I’m not reliant on the controls on the back of the boxes.

Johannes Halvorsen

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2018, 12:34:36 PM »

A thought... If super quick rig/strike is a major goal, woukdn't a properly tuned and thought out PASSIVE rig be the way to go...?

In stead of routing signal and power; just roll in a preconfigured rack with mixer, players, dsp/crossower and amps, plug in power, plug one 4 strand speaker cable with speakons to each sub array, and one short cable from there to your top. A bit old school, but hard to beat speedwise. And since you play in the same room every time you don't have to fiddle around with speaker processing once you are dialed in.

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2018, 01:00:26 PM »

I think the DZR range for Yamaha sounds very good, but doubt you will need the Dante networking that they come with.

The standard DZR does not have Dante. The higher priced DZR "D" versions include it.

There are also passive CZR versions available of all models except the 315.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Steve Ferreira

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2018, 01:46:14 PM »

A thought... If super quick rig/strike is a major goal, woukdn't a properly tuned and thought out PASSIVE rig be the way to go...?

In stead of routing signal and power; just roll in a preconfigured rack with mixer, players, dsp/crossower and amps, plug in power, plug one 4 strand speaker cable with speakons to each sub array, and one short cable from there to your top. A bit old school, but hard to beat speedwise. And since you play in the same room every time you don't have to fiddle around with speaker processing once you are dialed in.

I still move my racks and stacks on a weekly basis. It's not broken so i don't need to fix it ;)

OP, I don't know if i would spend that kind of money into a new system if you are not guaranteed money at the end of the night. If nobody shows up did you just work for free? Do you do other events that can justify this purchase?

Steve Garris

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2018, 01:54:29 PM »

I like the idea of the double 18’s, but I would have to use a stack of two singles on each side to insure they fit in the truck and get down the stairs to the room.

Unfortunately, most of what we make is predicated on the door.  No ticket sales, all walk in business.

Stairs? How many? I was also going to recommend double 18's, but if stairs are involved I'm not sure there is anything that can strike in 30 minutes.

Lance Hallmark

• Tampa Bay, FL
    • Hallmark Events & Entertainment
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2018, 02:03:00 PM »

2-4 Yorkville LS800/LS801/ES18 subs
2 Yamaha DSR112s

This system will sound great for the House/Techno/Hip Hop genres you will be playing. Highs will be loud & clear, the Yorkvilles will knock pictures off of the wall. Keep the Yamahas high passed and the system should be fairly bulletproof as well.
In my opinion the best all around balanced systems for dance music for under $5k, 3k if you can find used.
----------------------------------------------------
Lance Hallmark
Hallmark Events & Entertainment
Chamsys, Crown, Danley, EV, JTR, Powersoft, Yamaha

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2018, 02:12:13 PM »

I would like to get an actual mixer to help control subs and tops better, that way I’m not reliant on the controls on the back of the boxes.

Another mixer won't help with that, you need speakers with integrated network control that is then connected to a computer running the appropriate software to gain access to internal processing. But I don't see the need for that either in this case as once you find a configuration that works for the room it can be saved as a preset in the speaker.. assuming one of the factory presets isn't good enough, and you just select that when powering up the box each time afterwords.

I'm setting up systems for DJs every weekend and in most cases it is 12" powered tops of 18" powered subs, 15 tops don't really add anything until there are double 18s below them IMO. I don't see a 1hr setup/30min strike being much of a challenge for this amount of gear, first time in a venue it takes more time but every time after that you know what needs to happen and can do it a lot faster. You could also put together a small kit of power and XLR cables with a few spares that goes out with the speakers for this venue, no need to lug in boxes/bags of cables only to lug all but a handful back out again.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 02:14:29 PM by Paul G. OBrien »

Jay Marr

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2018, 03:04:51 PM »

If you want to knock the pictures off the wall with bass, then I agree that 4 may be necessary.
For subs:  SRX818, DXR18, Yorkville LS808 (which I would not want to carry up stairs) or KW118 will be killer in that size room.
And any of the SRX/DSR/DXR tops will be great (although keeping your K12s would be fine as well if you're not sure about making additional investment right now.

I often take four SRX718s and DSR112 tops, and I can get in the door/set up in about 45 min (30 if someone is helping me).  And I can break down and be ready for load out in 20 min (which includes a PA Rack and my guitar/vocal rig).  So as long as you have a method/system for setting up and breaking down, that timing would not scare me.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2018, 05:13:01 PM »

I keep thinking about the Captivator 212 subs.  If it's a short run of stairs you could stack them 2x on a casterboard, hustle them up the stairs one by one, then back on the casterboards.  That probably takes as much time as anything else in the loading.

Definitely make up and bundle cables.  I use siamese cables to my powered speakers.  This might be a case for twinning them or have the passive sub cables bundled together with them.  One run from your rack to the stack.

Walking back and forth is what chews up time.  Either back and forth to the truck or back and forth between the rack and speakers.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2018, 05:13:01 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 25 queries.