ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommend Stage Wedges  (Read 5805 times)

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
Re: Recommend Stage Wedges
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2018, 01:42:31 AM »

Maybe I’m being too hasty in writing off digital boards. I have had a couple negative interactions with them that have soured me somewhat on them. But I’ll admit my training on them was limited to OTJ. Maybe I will look into something like the XR18.

Digital mixers is pretty much the only way to go these days.  Any time I have to go back to a basic analog board for anything, I find it frustrating not to have access to the modifications I could so easily perform on a digital system.

You do need to take the time to familiarize yourself with the system you choose, but once you do, it is much easier.  And once you learn one digital system, the 2nd one is easier as you can more easily wrap your brain around a digital workflow.

The XR18 is a popular unit. However, I'm not a huge fan as you have zero controls on the unit itself.  You MUST rely on a network connection for it to work.  While it's overall reliable, if your device crashes and you need to make a change immediately, the only option you'd have would be to yank the plug.  Granted, that's probably rare, but should be considered.

I far prefer the X32 rack.  Not quite as compact, but having controls available on the face means I can control the unit even if the entire network is down.
Brian Jojade

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2018, 01:44:54 AM »

Oh, and for stage wedges, I love my SRX712m cabinets.  Hard to find, but folks that have them don't give them up!

And audio logs are a cheap piece of gear that every sound engineer should have in their kit.  You can make your own by cutting off a 2X4 into 1 foot lengths and either paint them black, or build yourself a deluxe model by covering it in gaff tape.  Now you can prop anything to any angle you want.
Brian Jojade

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2018, 04:11:40 AM »

As for the xr/mr18 you can get a tactile control surface with the supported x-touch controller.

I take it with me every time. Even with my x32, as it gives me direct access to e.g. monitor mixes. And it has a small footprint.

At times I even use it with EthernetOverPower (EoP) and I’ve not had a single issue.

John Fruits

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2018, 05:46:58 AM »

In the past when this question has come up, one of the contenders for entry level monitors was the DAS Action M-12 for passive and the DAS Action M-12A for active. 
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2018, 07:38:53 AM »

A good bar band monitor that is tough and louder than its spec's would leave you to believe.  I did a review here 9 years ago and the pair I have are still going strong. ( the review seemed to be trimmed some through the years ) I've used them for everything and then some.

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php?topic=121109.0

https://www.amazon.com/Peavey-PV-15PM-Bi-Amplified-Microphone/dp/B01M8N8DOP

I've moved up to EV SXA250's but I've kept these as loners,fills, and "looks like hard rain" monitors and they have never failed. Sound good for what they are as well.

Douglas R. Allen

Picture of them in use maybe 8 months ago.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 06:56:29 AM by Douglas R. Allen »

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2018, 08:10:40 AM »

If you get a chance check out the A&H QU16. It's a very easy transition from analog and is much more flexible. It's ba

For the original question:

Passive wedge-shaped monitors: EAW VFM series, Renkus CF/CFX121M, and EV TX1122FM are a step up from the bottom of the barrel.

If you are looking at the bottom of the barrel, the Yamaha CM12V works pretty well if you need to go cheap with something that is still reliable.
The currenr 12 inch yamaha club especially with the Yamaha amp with the built in dsp settings is far more impressive sonically than the series long time reputation and the durability seems to be the same.

I would have no problem putting a set of those in front of any of the bands that I see. (Bands range from local original music and covers up to b list Nationals, and our ev fm1202 have never been rejected even by bands with bi-amped riders)

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Matt Greiner

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2018, 11:21:20 AM »

FWIW, I use Peavey SP15M's.  They have good output for what they cost, and I've never had complains.  I would definitely stay away from their PV line of speakers though. In fact, I just had a B national on Thursday tell me that in his 15 years of touring, the stage sounded the best he's ever had.  I used 2 of the SP15M's for him (he likes a loud stage volume for him (mainly just his vocals in his mix).  I was a little skeptic of his praise at first, then his drummer told me he's not afraid to complain when it's not good, so take it as a compliment.

The Peavey SP15M's are not to expensive, especially on the used market.  They've got a 2" VC and a 15 woofer, and can handle a lot of power.  It's basically their SP2 in a wedge.

Alternatively, if you want a powered option on a budget, my friends band just purchased some Mackie Thump 12A's.  They seem to like them, but they also only use them for indoor, small bar type venues.  But that sounds like the environment you would be using them in. I've never heard them, so I can only go by his review.  At $300 retail new, you're probably not going to get a lot.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2018, 01:21:36 PM »

Alternatively, if you want a powered option on a budget, my friends band just purchased some Mackie Thump 12A's.  They seem to like them, but they also only use them for indoor, small bar type venues.  But that sounds like the environment you would be using them in. I've never heard them, so I can only go by his review.  At $300 retail new, you're probably not going to get a lot.
General consensus is that the Thumps are an absolute waste of money. And that's coming from a Mackie dealer. :-)

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Matt Greiner

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2018, 03:21:40 PM »

General consensus is that the Thumps are an absolute waste of money. And that's coming from a Mackie dealer. :-)

-Ray

Good to know.  I've never been a Mackie fan, and guess I won't be starting anytime soon.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2018, 09:23:49 PM »

I have used probably close to 100 different types of wedges and one thing seems to stand out. They are all good at one thing and suck at another. There are some I would avoid and others I highly recommend considering. I currently own a set of Renkus Heinz CFX 121M's and a set of RCF NX12SMA's ( Mike, I will have another order coming in soon BTW :) ) The RCF NX12SMA's are no joke and are probably one of the best " monitor " speakers I have used. They stay very stable and sound really good!

I have also recently used the EV ZLX and ETX as monitors. I can say that I was really impressed by both! The ZLX was a stunner for me. It is probably one of the cheapest speakers out there and it kicked ass. It gets pretty loud ( at least loud enough for most ) and is very stable. With zero EQ at all, I could run them up till the limiter was shutting things down and they wouldn't feedback unless the band member did something silly. The ETX gets VERY loud with little or no work with its Monitor setting. If a budget is what you need, I highly recommend the EV line up either cheap or expensive.

Getting back to the brass tacks though. What one monitor does well, it also sucks at something else. Usually, the monitor angle is bad, or the speaker doesn't pull double duty really well, or it has one general flaw that makes it not 100% great. For example: My Renkus Heinz CFX121M's sound pretty good and have an AWESOME monitor angle to them, but they have no pole sockets and they are prone to feedback around 1.6khz. I once had a set of EAW LA212's that again sounded good, but the monitor angle was horrid, they were heavy and they didn't get all that loud considering price and pedigree. My RCF NX12SMA's sound amazing, have a great monitor angle, but despite having a pole socket the RCF badge is not rotatable and because the controls are on the top when mounted on a pole, it makes setup a little more involved.

I am NOT A FAN of the QSC offerings and don't recommend them, but wouldn't turn them down either if it was an option. With monitors that are cheap, I highly recommend powered models. They tend to do better than cheap passive units that are of similar cost. I also don't recommend low line options like the Yamaha Club series. Anything that is on the bottom rung of a Manufacturer's lineup is bound to not work out well. The EV's I mentioned earlier are an exception. The ZLX is really nice, but it may not get loud enough for some people as the limiter will reel things in. Avoid Behringer speakers, Mackie speakers, and other off-brand options. With monitors, it is a serious get what you pay for scenario. Better cost more, and more costs money. 
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2018, 09:23:49 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.