Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Lounge

Recommend Stage Wedges

(1/7) > >>

JustinRamsey:
I am starting to piece together a small PA for band gigs in pubs and small clubs. Got a pair of K12s for mains and will be picking up an Allen and Heath MixWiz 16:2 for the board. I am needing some suggestions for stage wedges. I have a pair of peavey PM12s and a QSC GX5 that I use currently for acoustic stuff but now I am upgrading to full band I am looking for recommendations.

I was hoping to find some true wedges as I have struggled with placement of the K12s and the like as monitors because the dispersion usually means sound hits my knees not my ears and I don’t usually have the stage depth to get them far enough forward to work well. I am open to powered or unpowered really if that matters.

Thanks!

David Sturzenbecher:

--- Quote from: JustinRamsey on September 21, 2018, 10:08:24 AM ---I am starting to piece together a small PA for band gigs in pubs and small clubs. Got a pair of K12s for mains and will be picking up an Allen and Heath MixWiz 16:2 for the board. I am needing some suggestions for stage wedges. I have a pair of peavey PM12s and a QSC GX5 that I use currently for acoustic stuff but now I am upgrading to full band I am looking for recommendations.

I was hoping to find some true wedges as I have struggled with placement of the K12s and the like as monitors because the dispersion usually means sound hits my knees not my ears and I don’t usually have the stage depth to get them far enough forward to work well. I am open to powered or unpowered really if that matters.

Thanks!

--- End quote ---

Have you tried angling the up so they are pointed at your face?   A simple DI box or block of wood is standard gear for wedges with less then stellar angles.

JustinRamsey:

--- Quote from: David Sturzenbecher on September 21, 2018, 10:15:10 AM ---Have you tried angling the up so they are pointed at your face?   A simple DI box or block of wood is standard gear for wedges with less then stellar angles.

--- End quote ---

I have but since I am buying new I figured I would try to get something optimized for the use. I’m not opposed to doing that if it’s the best method to get the highest quality sound at an affordable-ish price

Tim McCulloch:

--- Quote from: JustinRamsey on September 21, 2018, 10:25:01 AM ---I have but since I am buying new I figured I would try to get something optimized for the use. I’m not opposed to doing that if it’s the best method to get the highest quality sound at an affordable-ish price

--- End quote ---

All stage monitor angles are compromises picked by an engineer in a cubicle.  NONE of them are ideal for YOUR use... or if you find your ideal angle you'll find the wedge is either too expensive or doesn't sound good to you.  Seriously.

One of the best regarded wedges is Clair's 12AM.  I'm not sure who picked the baffle board angle, as I've yet to see them used without some kind of chock or prop under the front edge.  One of the most requested wedges, at that.  Don't get hung up on something you can easily take care of yourself.

On the other side of the angle is the Radian (and later EAW/Rat Sound) MicroWedge.  Great at the base of the mic stand but covers almost nothing if you move 5 feet upstage.  Again, an angle block ("audio wood") or a dead Behringer DI helps solve this issue.

For live rock/pop/country music the JBL SRX712m is still a very good choice (and I think JBL still builds them, but does not advertise it) unless you must have a powered wedge.

What's your budget?

Greg Harwood:
I've had good luck with the Yamaha DSR112 as floor monitors.  Angle seems to be pretty good and they sound great and get loud if you need them to.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version