ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Church Sound: Everything Is Amazing, And No One Is Happy  (Read 3425 times)

M. Erik Matlock

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Editor Live Sound International/ProSoundWeb
    • M. Erik Matlock on PSW
Church Sound: Everything Is Amazing, And No One Is Happy
« on: September 20, 2018, 08:11:12 AM »

Church Sound: Everything Is Amazing, And No One Is Happy
Acknowledging how awesome all this technology is, and cutting it some slack when it doesn't work right.
By Mike Sessler • September 20, 2018

Louis CK has a bit in his routine where he describes some of the miracles of modern life, and how we’re never happy with them.

I was reminded of this a few weeks ago when a few of our musicians got to complaining about the trouble they have communicating with each other during rehearsal now that we’re all on ears.

I thought back to three years ago when I arrived at Coast (my church). We had 7-12 monitors on stage that typically generated 88-90 dB SPL at front of house, 90 feet away with the main PA off.

The sound was pretty dreadful back then, the stage was a mess, the piano was rarely in tune and had more drums in those mic’s than piano, sound check typically took more than an hour and at the end, people were rarely completely happy.

Today, we’re so dialed in that sound check can be done in 20 minutes if everyone cooperates, stage volume is almost 0 and by all accounts, the sound in the house is better than it’s ever been.

The piano sounds great, and by changing out most of the mic’s so does everything else. Oh, and with the M-48 personal mixers, the musicians can usually get a great mix; one that’s tweaked exactly for them.

Everything is amazing, and no one is happy...

Continue reading here: https://www.prosoundweb.com/channels/church/church_sound_everything_is_amazing-_and_no_one_is_happy/
Train the next generation. Success without a successor is ultimately failure. wywu.org

Don DeJong

Re: Church Sound: Everything Is Amazing, And No One Is Happy
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 02:47:04 PM »

You changed everything else, maybe you need to change the musicians.  Get some with a little imagination.

MikeHarris

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 09:03:00 AM »

Make a list of what they are unhappy about...and go about solving both their perceived problems and attitude. As you are using the M48 system do you also have a Roland console which permits you to 'supervise' ?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 09:03:00 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 24 queries.