ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DPA 4066 for Shure BLX?  (Read 1730 times)

Peder . Berentzen

DPA 4066 for Shure BLX?
« on: September 19, 2018, 03:22:45 PM »

I am trying to find out if the Shure BLX beltpack will work with the DPA 4066 headworn mic.

The mics that Shure suggests using with BLX are all cardioid - apart from one omni which is a one-ear mic. For this purpose an omni two-ear mounted mic is wanted.

I have tried to find the mic power limitations of the BLX1 beltpack, but so far no luck. My DPA rep told me that the 4066 requires a 5V supply.

- Has anyone tried a DPA on the BLX1 transmitter?

- Does anyone know the spec of the power supplied to the mic by the BLX beltpack?

Thanks for any help!
Peder Berentzen

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
Re: DPA 4066 for Shure BLX?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 03:36:35 PM »

As long as it had the correct connector for the mic element, I don't see why it wouldn't work. Pretty much all the lavalier and headset mics are interchangeable as long as the connector is right.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

scottstephens

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 04:15:30 PM »

why would you put a $700 mic on a $250 unit? Just wondering, I'm not trying to be a dick, but this question begs the question.

Scott

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 04:27:12 PM »

why would you put a $700 mic on a $250 unit? Just wondering, I'm not trying to be a dick, but this question begs the question.

Scott
Maybe an artist is bringing their own mic and want the venue to provide the transmitter?

Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 04:34:36 PM »

Scott
Agreed.  Get QLXD and then a DPA mic. 

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Peder . Berentzen

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 05:50:08 PM »

Thanks for your thoughts. I was hoping not having to make a long post to explain, but here we go.

1) Shure explains that only a few of their mics work with the BLX1. If the Beta 53 had been one of them we would have been fine. They do not explain what the limitation is, so hence my post here. This is not all about the pinout.

2) Why put an expensive mic on a cheap WL system? Well, a good mic is always preferable over a cheap one. The DPA is the industry standard around here. Everyone will accept it. It uses an adapter, so it can still be used if the wireless system is replaced with another brand. The owners of this system already have some channels of BLX handheld and would like to have a few headworn too for flexibility. They are not prepared to change out the BLX at this time, but are thinking that the DPA mics can serve them for a long time.

3) Artist bringing their own mic. Fair point, but not the consideration here. Although, more artists should do that. For their own good.

4) QLX, as good a system as it is, it is out of the question for these people at this time. Perhaps later. They may in the end upgrade with a used system of another brand, so that is another reason why the DPA with an adapter becomes attractive.

I hope that this explains the original questions.

Thanks!
Peder Berentzen

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 06:22:13 PM »

Your question would be best answered by Shure's Application Support Group engineers.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber