ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Backline question. What Marshall Models  (Read 2290 times)

Brook Hovland

• DiA Events
Backline question. What Marshall Models
« on: September 17, 2018, 11:17:33 PM »

For those of you that supply backline, what marshall models are requested most?
We are looking at purchasing for our little backline inventory but would like to get what's most requested.
I really don't care what sounds the best, I want the ones that will be specified the most for ROI.
Pretty sure we will want boxes with greenbacks but the head options boggle my little Fender based mind.
Thank you for your help!

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
Re: Backline question. What Marshall Models
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 02:19:20 PM »

In my area Marshall requests are low. Typically a JCM 2000, DSL40 or JVM410 is what comes up. In my area Fenders are the best bet for backline. If you have a hot rod deluxe, a super reverb, and a Tweed deluxe variant you are pretty good to go. 
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 05:56:56 PM »

In my area Marshall requests are low. Typically a JCM 2000, DSL40 or JVM410 is what comes up. In my area Fenders are the best bet for backline. If you have a hot rod deluxe, a super reverb, and a Tweed deluxe variant you are pretty good to go.

In other words, Bob's basement...... ;D
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 05:02:58 AM »

Marshall JCM 800s and JCM 900s are the most often requested Marshall heads I see along with 1960 slant cabinets to make 1/2 stacks.

Fender Twins, Devilles, Deluxes and Blues JRs are way more requested than Marshall.
I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

Matthew Knischewsky

• Kitchener Ontario Canada
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 12:48:10 PM »

Marshall JCM 800s and JCM 900s are the most often requested Marshall heads I see along with 1960 slant cabinets to make 1/2 stacks.

Fender Twins, Devilles, Deluxes and Blues JRs are way more requested than Marshall.

I would agree with all of this.

Dave Dermont

• Forum Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • From The Great Pocono Northeast
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2018, 10:14:25 PM »

We are looking at purchasing for our little backline inventory but would like to get what's most requested.
I really don't care what sounds the best, I want the ones that will be specified the most for ROI.
Pretty sure we will want boxes with greenbacks but the head options boggle my little Fender based mind.
Thank you for your help!

Most Marshall guys want the JCM800, but a JCM900 will do.

If you don't already have them, you might get more requests for Roland JC 120s or Peavey Classic 50s.
Dave Dermont

Warning: Dates on calendar may be closer than they appear

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2018, 07:08:18 PM »

Most Marshall guys want the JCM800, but a JCM900 will do.

If you don't already have them, you might get more requests for Roland JC 120s or Peavey Classic 50s.
Yes that nasty sounding Roland amp was probably the most deployed after the blackface Twin when I remember my backline-wrangling days.
Never could understand why.  It did seem like the ultimate generic backline "it'll make-do",  got used often for keys and random electrified instruments in so-called "world-music" gigs.
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2018, 01:02:34 AM »

Yes that nasty sounding Roland amp was probably the most deployed after the blackface Twin when I remember my backline-wrangling days.
Never could understand why.  It did seem like the ultimate generic backline "it'll make-do",  got used often for keys and random electrified instruments in so-called "world-music" gigs.
Roland JC are warm clean amps.  Not for rockers, but for many other things, a safe bet.  Probably very popular with smooth jazz folks, although I don't deal with that much.  Don't have the "blackface scoop" of a Twin or other Fender.  Which is why they get used for other things like Rhodes or some oddball electrified sitar, etc.

Hot Rod Deluxe and Deville have pretty much supplanted the classic Super or Twin.  Much cheaper for the backline folks and since most are newer, less breakdown headaches.  Nowadays you need some pull to get a good Super.

I would imagine anyone looking for a Marshall Plexi or other rare bird will have some backline place worked out that they trust.  A modern JCM800 will probably work for most folks this side of a rectum fryer.

Brook Hovland

• DiA Events
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2018, 11:36:42 AM »

Thank you for your help!

Thanks for the input all.
I have decided on JCM 900 with 1960AX Greenback cabs to start.
This means that the next rider that crosses my desk will specify JCM800 with 1960 TV...  I know how this works!  ::)

We have a good Fender / Vox / Roland selection.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2018, 08:16:26 PM »

I have decided on JCM 900 with 1960AX Greenback cabs to start.
This means that the next rider that crosses my desk will specify JCM800 with 1960 TV...  I know how this works!  ::)

Your selection should hit the odds.

I've got a 1960TV in a flight case, ready to go, if you need it (not for sale, only for rent).

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2018, 08:16:26 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.