ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Removeable Caster Plate for speakers  (Read 1287 times)

Franklin Benjamin

Removeable Caster Plate for speakers
« on: September 17, 2018, 01:03:52 PM »

So I currently own double 15 tops (trapezoid) that weigh about ~170 lbs.  I've been using hand trucks to transport them but finally bit the bullet and decided to build caster plates to transport them.  The tops have rubber feet at the bottom (~ 3/4" thick) and caster plate is 1 1/2" plywood.  Holes cut out to fit the rubber feet.  Holes are approximately 1/2" wider than rubber feet.  I only cut the holes in the top board as the plywood is doubled to get the thickness.  Concern was the holes would interfere with mounting casters if it was a single sheet.  They are the same foot print as the tops but I am having issues consistently mating the caster plate to the tops without leaning the tops backward while someone aligns the plate. 

Just looking for recommendations  for a quicker alignment.  The tops are relatively top heavy so and have a tendency to want to tip over so I instruct everyone to pull and not push.  (Treat it like an R4)

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Franklin.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 01:07:42 PM by Franklin Benjamin »

Taylor Hall

Re: Removeable Caster Plate for speakers
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 01:33:46 PM »

Perhaps ring the entire caster plate in a tall lip so that the outer circumference of the cabinet is what aligns the caster plate to the cabinet, or try doing that for a couple of sides so that you can eyeball placement with the shape of the box, then fine tune once it gets set down.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 02:22:59 PM »

The tops are relatively top heavy so and have a tendency to want to tip over so I instruct everyone to pull and not push.
Franklin,

Sounds like using hand trucks to transport them would be a better choice ;^).

Mating a bottom caster board without leaning the tops backward will be difficult even when using alignment lips made from angle aluminum or steel (which will gouge up the cabinet) are used. Locking casters makes it slightly easier, but tipping for alignment is way faster.

For "tippy" top trap cabinets a front caster board is probably best - pulling top heavy cabinets just makes them more likely to fall on top of the puller, rather than the pusher falling on top of the cabinet when it tips.

Art

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 02:43:25 PM »

Perhaps ring the entire caster plate in a tall lip so that the outer circumference of the cabinet is what aligns the caster plate to the cabinet, or try doing that for a couple of sides so that you can eyeball placement with the shape of the box, then fine tune once it gets set down.

+1

This is exactly what we did with our dual 12" tops and the caster boards I made for them.  We doubled the ply so it was 1.5 the thickness we needed.  Before attaching them together with glue I drilled the foot pattern into the plate that goes to the top.  Glued the plates together and put on a 1 1/2" lip around the two sides and back.  The front is left open.  Easy to put the speakers on and a quick easy way to move the speakers without a hand truck.  When we pack the speakers we do use a 1" safety strap on that goes around the base of the caster boards and is tied to the top of the speakers.  It works great.

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 03:48:05 PM »

Tip sub all the way onto its side.
Strap on the caster plate.
Tip back and roll.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Franklin Benjamin

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 04:21:45 PM »

That's a potential idea.

It expands the foot print but might be worth it.

I will look into it.

Thanks

Franklin Benjamin

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 04:30:58 PM »

Franklin,

Sounds like using hand trucks to transport them would be a better choice ;^).

Mating a bottom caster board without leaning the tops backward will be difficult even when using alignment lips made from angle aluminum or steel (which will gouge up the cabinet) are used. Locking casters makes it slightly easier, but tipping for alignment is way faster.

For "tippy" top trap cabinets a front caster board is probably best - pulling top heavy cabinets just makes them more likely to fall on top of the puller, rather than the pusher falling on top of the cabinet when it tips.

Art

Oddly enough, for the last 14 years or so, I've been laying the tops face down on the face of the subs with a piece of plywood in between.  Face down on the floor would really take up too much foot print for truck pack but I absolutely understand  the tipping concern. 

I was actually wondering if using magnet for centering would help.

Thanks,

Franklin

Franklin Benjamin

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 04:54:14 PM »

Thanks for expanding on Taylor's idea Bill.  Sounds like this could work and seems the most economical for now.

Thanks again,

Franklin.

+1

This is exactly what we did with our dual 12" tops and the caster boards I made for them.  We doubled the ply so it was 1.5 the thickness we needed.  Before attaching them together with glue I drilled the foot pattern into the plate that goes to the top.  Glued the plates together and put on a 1 1/2" lip around the two sides and back.  The front is left open.  Easy to put the speakers on and a quick easy way to move the speakers without a hand truck.  When we pack the speakers we do use a 1" safety strap on that goes around the base of the caster boards and is tied to the top of the speakers.  It works great.

Bill

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 05:10:39 PM »

Why not just mount a set of casters at the bottom of the rear panel of each cabinet? Is the rear panel really narrow? I have a set of Yorkville double 15s trap caps with casters and a single top/rear handle, they are easy to move but you have to hold onto the cab with the other hand and go slow as it always wants to tip over to the left or right. The casters are no more than 12" apart so it is a bit unstable but at almost 4ft tall and 150lbs I'll take any wheels I can get. Just throwing that out there as a possible solution, it may or may not be a good fit for your cabs.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 05:52:05 PM by Paul G. OBrien »

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2018, 08:45:20 PM »

Just looking for recommendations  for a quicker alignment.  The tops are relatively top heavy so and have a tendency to want to tip over so I instruct everyone to pull and not push.  (Treat it like an R4)

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Install matching feet on the top of the trap cabs and place them on the cart upside down?

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2018, 08:45:20 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.