ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Multi cart or what do you roll with  (Read 2266 times)

Luis_Marquez

Multi cart or what do you roll with
« on: September 15, 2018, 05:53:26 PM »

I am eyeballing the R16 from Rock n roller for small gigs for a load um up one trip to the stage. Suv is heavily packed so space is premium. I don’t like making multiple trip when flying solo. Terain varies in each event. On occasions it has been grassy, sandy dirt, concrete merging to carpet, all carpet, wood and the good old concrete. Some report difficult to roll on carpet even though they have some fairly large wheels.

What has been your experience with Rock n roller products, particularly the R16 or am open to other suggestions?

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
Re: Multi cart or what do you roll with
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 07:13:17 PM »

We keep a stock of 22.5 x 30" wheel boards and ratchet straps.  One size fits all.  The wheel dollies define a three wide or four wide truck pack  in our straight trucks.  As long as the gear doesn't extend over the edge of the dolly its a fit.  We keep a smaller collection of top boards to create a sandwich for dolly loads that don't provide a nice flat surface when strapping the whole thing together.  The dollies are stained brown woodgrain with our logo routered into the surface to make it less likely they good home with another crew.

Very flexible, works for a wide variety of surfaces.  Sand, not so much.  Balloon tire hand trucks for that.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 08:41:25 PM »

I have one of the older models with the pneumatic wheels.  It does take up some space folded up and I have to remember to pump up the tires before using it.  But I have abused the snot out of the thing and it's never let me down.  When I poured the 120 sq. ft. pad in my back yard for my project studio shed I used it to haul the ready-mix into the back yard.  Same with the stucco mix.  Have pilled all kinds of stuff onto it.  Never tried to get across sand but lots of grass and dirt.  The small caster end doesn't roll so well so I end up pulling up on the handle a bit, but the large tires have never gotten stuck.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 09:02:38 PM »

We too abused the snot out of our rock and roll trucks.  We have some with pneumatic tires some with solid.  Guys still use them for bar gigs.

We are basically at the same point as Riley though the wheel boards are not routed.  Lots of things ride on cases too.  We have wheelboards for all the subs that dont have casters.  Line arrays have carts and the bumper fits on top in packs of four.  We even have cedar lined cases for drape and a few big hampers.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 01:04:50 AM »

The Cosco aluminum convertable hand truck/four wheel cart is worth looking at, IMO. It may or may not fit in your vehicle, however. It has 10" main wheels, semi-pneumatic tires, and about 4" casters. At about $100 at Costco, it is a pretty good deal for what it is.  I think it is a much better value than a Magliner or similar, for weekend warrior use. YMMV.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 05:38:30 AM »

Nice, I have one of the Cosco hand trucks. Works great. Bought it before I started doing sound again and now it's a regular fixture on gigs.

Knowing that Costco stands behind it is a great feeling.

The Cosco aluminum convertable hand truck/four wheel cart is worth looking at, IMO. It may or may not fit in your vehicle, however. It has 10" main wheels, semi-pneumatic tires, and about 4" casters. At about $100 at Costco, it is a pretty good deal for what it is.  I think it is a much better value than a Magliner or similar, for weekend warrior use. YMMV.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Wes Garland

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 04:09:48 AM »

I have a garden wagon that I bought in an emergency a couple of years ago when I couldn't lift well due to injury and still needed to work.  It works really well, holds three 12" powered speakers. The only downside is it takes up room in the van. When I use it, I secure it to the E-track and fill it with mic bags etc.

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 09:15:11 AM »

We keep a stock of 22.5 x 30" wheel boards and ratchet straps.  One size fits all.  The wheel dollies define a three wide or four wide truck pack  in our straight trucks.  As long as the gear doesn't extend over the edge of the dolly its a fit.  We keep a smaller collection of top boards to create a sandwich for dolly loads that don't provide a nice flat surface when strapping the whole thing together.  The dollies are stained brown woodgrain with our logo routered into the surface to make it less likely they good home with another crew.

Very flexible, works for a wide variety of surfaces.  Sand, not so much.  Balloon tire hand trucks for that.
I build custom flat dollies for my racks, which currently are ECS molded composite/fiberglass types.  I put four small blocks of Baltic Birch plywood on the dollies spaced to mate to the case's interlocking features that are molded into the top and bottom.

I'm just a little different and my larger four wheel flat dollies are 1/4x1/2(22.5"x45") Handle slots on all four sides, and a pair of ribs running lengthwise underneath for extra strength(when the gear is not a 45" long case or speaker).  Generally been going with 4" or 5" casters, easier to roll over things.

I have a set of 8" pneumatic casters I've been meaning to try out on a larger dolly, maybe 24-30" wide and 48-60" long.  Should be nice on grass or uneven sidewalks.

At one of my regular venues we have an assortment of platform carts with handle on one end-definitely make moving gear around a lot easier. Some come with handles you can pull out of sockets to make transport easier, but otherwise a bit awkward on a small truck.

Best regards,

John

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 11:20:24 AM »

+1

We use these, along with caster boards and ratchet straps (for bigger items).

Tom Roche

• Behind the Zion Curtain
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2018, 01:39:56 PM »

You may want to consider the R12RT (all terrain) Rock N Roller cart.  The no-flat tires are 8x2 front and 10x3 rear, compared to the R16's 6x3 front and 8x3 rear.  Cart size is about the same.  R12 is rated to carry 500 lbs. vs 600 lbs. for the R16.  I don't use my R12 very often, but have had no issues rolling across various terrains, including tall grass.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2018, 01:39:56 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 19 queries.