ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hurricane Florence  (Read 5971 times)

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: Hurricane Florence
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2018, 03:01:26 PM »

I have a cousin in Lumberton who rode out the storm in place. Lumberton is reportedly flooded now so I suspect he is busy.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Will Knight

• Queens, NY
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2018, 04:07:56 PM »

Been 2 days since last post. Y’all ok?
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I just heard from my folks in Wilmington.  They're safe though a big tree has taken out their back porch completely.  They're on Gennie power but locally, no power - and none expected anytime soon.  Tons of trees downed everywhere.  They're a bit inland so no flooding at the house but if you've been following the news, the city is now the equivalent of a mainland Puerto Rico.  Completely cut off to the "outside" due to major flooding on all roads in and out.  Today their safe...tomorrow?...
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value — Albert Einstein.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2018, 04:14:23 PM »

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

OK here Rob thanks.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2018, 04:16:15 PM »

I just heard from my folks in Wilmington.  They're safe though a big tree has taken out their back porch completely.  They're on Gennie power but locally, no power - and none expected anytime soon.  Tons of trees downed everywhere.  They're a bit inland so no flooding at the house but if you've been following the news, the city is now the equivalent of a mainland Puerto Rico.  Completely cut off to the "outside" due to major flooding on all roads in and out.  Today their safe...tomorrow?...

Yes Wilmington did not escape sadly.....New Bern did badly too - I have some friends there.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2018, 04:18:33 PM »

I have a cousin in Lumberton who rode out the storm in place. Lumberton is reportedly flooded now so I suspect he is busy.

JR

Flooding was the big concern of the inland cities affected by the Hurricane. I hope your cousin doesn't suffer too much damage or loss...

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2018, 05:09:44 PM »

Flooding was the big concern of the inland cities affected by the Hurricane. I hope your cousin doesn't suffer too much damage or loss...
Well the Lumber River was originally known as "Drowning Creek".. ::) . Seriously my cousin is hardy and as I recall from childhood visits the first floor of the old family home is elevated up 6' or more above ground level. The name of the farm is "Hillcrest farms" and I hope that is descriptive of local elevation, not wishful thinking....  My mother (RIP) was born in that house over 100 years ago so they've seen weather before.

I think the Lumber River crests today so we'll know soon enough. I'm not going to yank his chain until maybe after they get electricity back, while knowing him he probably has a tractor hooked up to a generator.  8)

I emailed him to store cold beer and his response was "party"...

JR 
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2018, 08:47:04 PM »

We had about 6" of rain fall between 11pm and 1am last night.  Definitely the worst of the storm but drainage ditches did their jobs - at least around our place.  Some road washouts have been reported elsewhere.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Mal Brown

« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2018, 12:25:09 AM »

Hey!  Glad your’all safe. 

Just in solidarity we had a smidge of rain to mitigate the fire conditions... accompanied by multiple days of cougar sitings  in the neighborhood... 

Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Steven Cohen

« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2018, 11:33:48 AM »

Kevin,

I think the best window protection are impact windows. Impact windows are passive as no preparation has to be done prior to the hurricane. Also they provide security as the cannot be penetrated. In fact, local fire departments had to be trained on how to breach an impact window with a gas powered saw.
As far as homeowners insurance discounts in South Florida, all windows and exterior doors need to have protection that meets Miami-Dade County building codes, which is the gold standard that insurance companies go by. The discounts for can be substantial if a home has wind mitigation protection on all openings. My discount is about $2K per year. Lastly, impact windows have come down in price over the past few years as production has ramped up. They are still expensive but closer in price to accordions or roll down shutters. Aluminum fixed panel type shutters are cheaper, but take time to put up and I have many other preparations to do prior to a hurricane, so not having to put up shutters is a time saver.

Steve

I now live in CT about 46.28 miles away from midtown NYC as the crow flies. When Sandy hit here in 2012 the water from the Long Island Sound (AKA the Sound) came up our street and stopped in front of our house and came a few feet up our driveway. No water in the house, but down the street basements were flooded. And it was very bad down nearer to the Sound. We had some damage from falling branches. I borrowed a nice Honda inverter generator (after 2 days without power) from someone that didn’t lose power. It was much quieter than any other generator running in our neighborhood.

We were out of power from the electric company for a week. We could have had it back much quicker (and did for a few hours) but they had to keep it off because the lines that feed our house also go all the way down to the beach and it was flooded down there. There aren’t any disconnects on the lines down there, otherwise they could have opened them up and given us power back a lot sooner. I went to a meeting after Sandy about the response to the storm and suggested that they install interrupts in more places so they can cut power where needed without affecting as many customers.

I went to a friend’s house one afternoon that lives closer to NYC and is located just across the street from the Sound but up a hill a bit. I was surprised that he had power. But actually he did lose power, but his whole house was running of a really big generator that powered almost everything in the house. It automatically switches over on the loss of power and I think it runs on natural gas.

I have a question about living in a place that is prone to being hit by hurricanes, because I would like to become a snow bird. I always see on the news when a hurricane like this is coming you see all of the people that are running out and buying plywood to board up their windows. If I lived in a place like that I would think I would have some sort of shutter system on the outside of the windows to seal up the house. I assume that they aren’t cheap but I would think it would be a good investment. I wonder how much of a discount your insurance company would offer if you had roll down storm shutters.

Mal Brown

« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2018, 12:19:14 PM »

I grew up on the coast of CT... my dad had Tee nuts in the sills and numbered sheets of ply cut to fit the windows.  The house was pinned to rock about 75 feet above sea level so water in the basement was never an issue - unless the washing machine cratered...  no. A lot of top soil but somehow the oaks nearby stood up to it.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2018, 12:19:14 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 21 queries.