ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Hurricane Florence  (Read 6091 times)

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: Hurricane Florence
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2018, 01:21:05 PM »

Beer can be tolerated warm or cold. Save the save in the cooler for Italian subs and other needed supplies.
Hurricanes are incredibly slow moving storms so you can make a lot of ice with several days warning (melted ice can also be used for drinking water in a pinch). 

Hurricane Gordon a few week ago was aiming straight for me, but petered out becoming a less than remarkable rain event (over me, Bama got the rain).

I drink my beer chilled (even during Katrina). If I run out of cold beer I probably have larger problems.   :o

JR

PS: My first hurricane was Edna while a young puke in NJ (1954). Tore the doors off our garage. 
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2018, 04:11:20 PM »

It seems right after a storm might be the better time to buy an emergency generator. You can get by without electricity for days but (cold) beer and (warm) food is nice... After several days food in the refrigerator can get dicey. Avoid the temptation to open the door too often. A separate ice filled cooler for beer helps in that regard.

JR

One of the biggest challenges can be water- if you have a well, it takes a decent genny to run a well pump.
Steve Swaffer

Tom Roche

• Behind the Zion Curtain
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2018, 04:45:09 PM »

One of the biggest challenges can be water- if you have a well, it takes a decent genny to run a well pump.

I lived in South Carolina when Hugo hit around this time 29 years ago.  It hit the state hard, especially the area I lived.  We were without power and running water for five days.  If I choose to live on the east coast again I will be much better prepared.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2018, 05:34:40 PM »

I have a RO water filter with a 10 gallon storage tank, so plenty of water not to mention several gallons I keep around for beer brewing... BTW beer is mostly water.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2018, 06:05:10 PM »

EDIT:

I deleted this post because it felt really insensitive given that so many people are facing very real challenges from this storm.

If you already saw it, no offense intended.  Hopefully none taken.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 11:54:46 AM by brian maddox »
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2018, 10:48:08 AM »

We survived the night without damage but our daughter who lives 15 minutes away was woken up by a tree breaking in half and falling on her house - right on to the wall next to her bed. Looks like mainly siding and gutter/downspout damage so minimal compared to some. We had a  power outage during the night ( indicated by flashing oven/microwave clocks) but restored by the time we woke up. More storms to come......
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2018, 11:03:59 AM »

More storms to come......

Only some breezes and spits of rain so far in High Point, but we know worse weather is on the way.

From a selfish perspective, I'm so grateful this didn't happen one week earlier, during the NC Folk Festival in Greensboro (where I was Production Manager).

Fingers crossed that Florence dissolves quickly.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2018, 11:55:53 AM »

We survived the night without damage but our daughter who lives 15 minutes away was woken up by a tree breaking in half and falling on her house - right on to the wall next to her bed. Looks like mainly siding and gutter/downspout damage so minimal compared to some. We had a  power outage during the night ( indicated by flashing oven/microwave clocks) but restored by the time we woke up. More storms to come......

EEK.  That's terrifying.  Hoping your daughter is okay, both physically AND mentally.  That's got to be a traumatic thing to have happen to you.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2018, 03:08:34 PM »

EEK.  That's terrifying.  Hoping your daughter is okay, both physically AND mentally.  That's got to be a traumatic thing to have happen to you.

Thanks Brian.... surprisingly she is in good spirits - I expected her to be freaking out but she is handling it well and putting it in perspective.
So far 3 deaths and tremendous damage to others less fortunate so we consider ourselves very lucky so far.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2018, 03:15:04 PM »

We're on a well (320 ft deep).  The pump is 240 volt (20amp on the breaker)  We can tell when it kicks in, the lights dim a little for just short period of time.  The pump makes a slight "dent" in our 5500 watt (continuous running) generator.  The genny is undersized for this house (but was perfect for my previous house).

Power outage last night for a few hours, ran the genny... all was good.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2018, 03:15:04 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.