Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Pro AV Forum

Poor bass - But not for a lack of spending $$$

(1/5) > >>

GT Hill:
System:

Mains: Funktion One Res2s
Subs: Danley 2x TH115 and 1x TH112
Amps: Ashly KLR 2000s and 4000s and necessary
Processor: Ashly Protea ne24.24M

My place has terrible acoustics that will be dealt with eventually but I'm pretty positive that I'm not getting the bass that I should. I figure that standing 4 feet from a TH115 should give a good punch no matter the acoustics.

Volume is not a problem. The subs and mains can get plenty loud but its like the subs are somehow restricted to really do what they are designed to do.

With that said, I don't know what I'm doing.

But here's what I've done.

All subs sound the same. I've done this by muting inside the processor and by turning amps on and off to see if the problem was isolated. I also did this just in case my subs were out of phase somehow. But its a widespread problem.

I've saved my processor file in case someone can look at it.

I've set the LPF and HPF based on specs I've seen recommended from Danley.

Right now I'm just air playing through my Apple TV into a receiver. I also have connected directly from my phone (aux cord) into a small mixing board. Same result.

I really don't know where to go from here.

Speaker wires too long? (They are 50')

Not sure what else to say. Any help is appreciated!

GT Hill
Arkansas

GT Hill:
Hi everyone! Just bumping to see if anyone would have some thoughts. Thank you very much!

GT

Jeremy Young:

Hi GT,

How is your rig deployed?  Do you have any photos of the space?

How are your crossovers set between the 15" driver on the funktion-one cabinet and your Danley subwoofers?  Do you have any delay in your processor between the outputs?  Have you checked your speaker cabling for polarity inversions?  Any chance there's a speaker cabinet that has had a driver replaced or removed at some point that could have caused the wiring inside to be polarity-reversed?  Does your processor have variations in the output send levels going to the amplifiers?  Do the amplifiers have the same sensitivity and/or do they have sensitivity selection switches?  If you have multiple subs in a line together with only one operating, the others can end up absorbing some of that energy.  Also don't underestimate the cancellation power of a well-placed boundary (or poorly placed depending on your opinion). 

I don't have any first-hand experience with any of the equipment in your list, just stepping up to see if I can help.  Both top cabs and subs are very efficient, so you should be getting quite a bit of output even with modest input levels.  If the volume is not a problem, can you try to explain again in your words what the issue is?  Have you used the TH115 cabs in other venues?  Sometimes people are so used to listening to distorted bass that they hear a clean sounding cab like these and think it's quiet even though the SPL meter reads the same or louder than a different cabinet with more distortion.  Just some thoughts to get the conversation started.

Laurence Nefzger:
Hi GT,
"Punch" is such a subjective term I have a hard time understanding what you feel the issue is. You state that there is plenty of volume.
Do you have the ability to move the rig out of the acoustically compromised space to confirm the issue - like out doors?
You are correct that you have spent a considerable amount of money and should be able to achieve extremely positive results. The subs you list are very high quality!

If you are using known good speaker wires (14 gauge or larger) 50 feet is not a distance that might cause problems.
Are the speakers separated or clustered together? Clustering should give more output as the speakers will "couple". Separation can cause destructive interference. Though there is a caveat that speakers of different design might not couple as well as matched speakers.

I think I need more information on your set up before I can shotgun either solutions or the cause of your perceived issues.

Also - I suspect your post would have gotten far more views if it had originated in the "Lounge" forum.

GT Hill:

--- Quote from: Jeremy Young on September 13, 2018, 07:41:42 PM ---Hi GT,

How is your rig deployed?  Do you have any photos of the space?

How are your crossovers set between the 15" driver on the funktion-one cabinet and your Danley subwoofers?  Do you have any delay in your processor between the outputs?  Have you checked your speaker cabling for polarity inversions?  Any chance there's a speaker cabinet that has had a driver replaced or removed at some point that could have caused the wiring inside to be polarity-reversed?  Does your processor have variations in the output send levels going to the amplifiers?  Do the amplifiers have the same sensitivity and/or do they have sensitivity selection switches?  If you have multiple subs in a line together with only one operating, the others can end up absorbing some of that energy.  Also don't underestimate the cancellation power of a well-placed boundary (or poorly placed depending on your opinion). 

I don't have any first-hand experience with any of the equipment in your list, just stepping up to see if I can help.  Both top cabs and subs are very efficient, so you should be getting quite a bit of output even with modest input levels.  If the volume is not a problem, can you try to explain again in your words what the issue is?  Have you used the TH115 cabs in other venues?  Sometimes people are so used to listening to distorted bass that they hear a clean sounding cab like these and think it's quiet even though the SPL meter reads the same or louder than a different cabinet with more distortion.  Just some thoughts to get the conversation started.

--- End quote ---

Jeremy,

Thank you for the questions and the thoughts.

A few of your first questions are with regards to polarity. Although I could have made a mistake with one, I'd hope I didn't do it will all three. But to check, I reversed the polarity in the processor and I didn't hear much of a difference.

The bass with the entire system running isn't great so the testing I've been doing is with one sub at a time. They all sound the same. Even the 15" in the Funktion Ones don't sound great.

I've never used any of these outside of the current location. These are in the launch control center of a decommissioned nuclear missile silo (Titan II) so being 55' underground... its a pain to move them elsewhere for testing. But I may need to do that to get a sense of performance elsewhere.

Maybe I'll make a video of the entire setup? That may help give some context.

I know I didn't answer your processing / crossover questions. I'm doing all of that with the Ashly processor. The only filters I have enable are HPF and LPF. I set them per Danley's suggestions.

Thanks again!

GT

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version